The Backlog Check-in Vol. 278: 4/29/23: Redfall Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 278: 4/29/23: Redfall Edition

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:24 pm Well, in my opinion, ALL meaning is interpretive in nature. What does your own life mean, for example? Only you can give answer to that question, and whatever your answer, it is the truth.

But yes, I am at home with obscurity and uncertainty. I'm one of those people who *loves* it when I don't know the lyric to a song and will absolutely refuse to look it up because that means I can play with it. Maybe it's a made up word by the artist or purposefully garbled to give me a chance to intuit for myself.

There are as many meanings to things as there are those who experience a thing - even "straightforward", everything-is-explained types of experiences are *wide* open to interpretation. The "outer" is a reflection of the "inner". Fran Bow has tons of meaning, ideas and potential interpretations, but when the observer "phase" looks at it, the truth will "collapse" for you from your position as the watcher. You've decided it's nonsensical, and so it is.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

:lol:

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:37 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:24 pmWell, in my opinion, ALL meaning is interpretive in nature. What does your own life mean, for example? Only you can give answer to that question, and whatever your answer, it is the truth.

But yes, I am at home with obscurity and uncertainty. I'm one of those people who *loves* it when I don't know the lyric to a song and will absolutely refuse to look it up because that means I can play with it. Maybe it's a made up word by the artist or purposefully garbled to give me a chance to intuit for myself.

There are as many meanings to things as there are those who experience a thing - even "straightforward", everything-is-explained types of experiences are *wide* open to interpretation. The "outer" is a reflection of the "inner". Fran Bow has tons of meaning, ideas and potential interpretations, but when the observer "phase" looks at it, the truth will "collapse" for you from your position as the watcher. You've decided it's nonsensical, and so it is.
Exactly. :lol:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Meanwhile, I've added Fran Bow to my Xbox wishlist, and as soon as it goes on sale I'm gonna grab it & make Tam play it. I loved it, and I'm pretty sure she will too. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 pmMeanwhile, I've added Fran Bow to my Xbox wishlist, and as soon as it goes on sale I'm gonna grab it & make Tam play it. I loved it, and I'm pretty sure she will too. :)
I don’t love it like you and izzy, but I’m enjoying it for the most part. I felt that Chapter 3 was too much of a departure in tone, but things have gotten back on track in Chapter 4.

The visuals are truly fantastic, and are a big part of what’s keeping me wanting to play. The story has been bonkers, but some things are being explained in Chapter 4 so perhaps I will be able to understand more of what has been going on by the end. The puzzles are hit and miss, the logical key item puzzles are fun to figure out but not the more intricate head scratchers IMO.

I’m probably going to finish it tonight since I’m pretty much ready to wrap it up, and move onto something with more actual gameplay. Point-and-click adventure puzzle games are fun every once in a while, but I don’t like them quite as much now as I did in the past. I’m more into action adventure games and RPGs these days, and less into cerebral type games.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:06 pm Meanwhile, I've added Fran Bow to my Xbox wishlist, and as soon as it goes on sale I'm gonna grab it & make Tam play it. I loved it, and I'm pretty sure she will too. :)
Hopefully she likes it. I don't even remember what type of games she enjoys. I remember she posted here ages ago and sometimes you update what you guys are playing, but I don't really remember.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Speaking of point-and-click adventure puzzle games, Roki is one that I think that you all might enjoy. The story deals with some dark themes, but it has a somewhat light fairy tale tone to it. The characters are cute and charming especially the main protagonist Tove. The puzzles are creative and logical throughout, I rarely had to look up the solutions to them. It’s just the right length, and has a satisfying conclusion.