The Backlog Check-in Vol. 278: 4/29/23: Redfall Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 278: 4/29/23: Redfall Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: BloodRayne ReVamped, Firegirl: Hack ‘n Splash Rescue DX, Windbound

Finished: BloodRayne ReVamped

Playing: Firegirl: Hack ‘n Splash Rescue DX

I started playing Windbound which is an adventure survival game with a big ocean, and small islands that you sail to. It doesn’t tell you where to go or what to do, and there’s no map. It has tutorials that teach you gameplay mechanics and how to craft things, but other than that you’re on your own to figure out where to go and what to do. The graphics, gameplay and music are all nice, and the crafting is pretty straight forward with you basically just needing to collect the required materials. It’s the hunger meter/stamina bar that is the most challenging aspect of the game. You have a full stamina bar when you start, but it depletes when you get hungry which is often. The only way to replenish it is to eat, but food is scarce. I discovered berries and mushrooms to eat, and you can kill animals such as boars to get their meat which if you make a campfire you can cook it and eat it. But it takes a long time to sail to each island and some of them don’t have any food sources, so I was dying of hunger often. It’s a slow paced adventure survival game about exploration, crafting and managing health, hunger and stamina. I was somewhat enjoying it, but it’s not really what I’m in the mood for right now.

I started playing Firegirl: Hack ‘n Splash Rescue DX, and it’s more of what I’m in the mood for right now. It reminds me of a classic Japanese arcade game - it’s got anime characters, a goofy story about fire monsters and is a 2.5D side scrolling action platformer with you extinguishing fire monsters with a water hose, hacking through obstacles with your axe, platforming and rescuing people and animals. It’s cute, fast paced and fun with basic controls and upgrades.

Added Aspire: Ina’s Tale, Batora: Lost Haven, Bee Simulator, Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve Stars, Firegirl: Hack ‘n Splash Rescue DX, Jack Move, Kanjozoku Game, Little Noah: Scion of Paradise, Smoots Golf, The Swapper

Games releasing this week:
Age of Wonders 4
Arto
Bare Butt Boxing
Death or Treat
Demon Skin
Ethyrial: Echoes of Yore
Hometopia
Jected: Rivals
Kaku: Ancient Seal
Knight Crawlers
Moonrise Fall
Ravenlok
Redfall
Requisition VR
R.I.C.E: Repetitive Indie Combat Experience
Showgunners
Space Gladiators
Super Dungeon Maker
Swordbreaker Origins
Tape to Tape
Titans Pinball
Weeping Willow
The Witch of Fern Island
World Turtles
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 278: 4/29/23: Redfall Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Horizon Burning Shores DLC

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

Getting close to the end of the story in Burning Shores, but there is still plenty of side stuff to complete. Good times.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:58 pmGetting close to the end of the story in Burning Shores, but there is still plenty of side stuff to complete. Good times.
What about it couldn’t be done on PS4, because they said that it could only be done on PS5 which is why they didn’t release it for PS4 as well despite them releasing the main game for it.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Huntdown, SF6 demo, Aria of Sorrow, Cosmic Star Heroine

Beat: Aria (go game club!)

Bought: Mr Driller Drilland, Salt and Sanctuary and... Assassin's Creed Valhalla Complete Edition. I am strangely nostalgic for the RPG AC games after playing Aria. They scratch the exact same itch for me. I liked Odyssey and Origins, I can't see why I wouldn't like this. It will also be my 'I just want something flashy and empty to occupy my hands for an hour but can't decide what to play because analysis paralysis then wake up on the couch in time to go to bed' game. I have lost so much time this school year not picking something to play but falling asleep. Hopefully, this will alleviate that and it will take a good long time :) !

Huntdown is my low key GOTY. I really love it. The Rayman Legends thing of a super fast restart with infinite lives combined with a run and gun platformer full of balling ass baller boss fights was just ingenious.

Cosmic Star Heroine became my train game to give DQ8 a break so I don't quit in frustration. It's a good little RPG, very Chrono Trigger. Been breezy so far, about 3 or 4 hours in. I know it's short so hopefully will be done in the next week or two.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:49 amCosmic Star Heroine became my train game to give DQ8 a break so I don't quit in frustration. It's a good little RPG, very Chrono Trigger. Been breezy so far, about 3 or 4 hours in. I know it's short so hopefully will be done in the next week or two.
I liked the little that I played of it, and I’ve been meaning to go back to it. With so many games to play I like to check them out to see what I think of them, and then if I like them I will return to them and play them to completion when I’m in the mood for them.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Hey phase:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10007382

I know you said you wanted to play it if it was available on PS.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Octopath Traveler II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 30

I'm really digging Octopath II so far. Old-fashioned turn-based JRPG goodness with a very pretty sheen. I've done two of the characters' backstories so far... one of them reminded me of Wild Arms. Good stuff.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing that I remember

Last week: Finished nothing, played Fairy Fencer F: Refrain Chord, Grindstone

This week: Same

Fairy Fencer is good so far, my only complaint is that Idea Factory picked this game to be their first US release without an English dub. :|

On the fence about the new Star Wars game, we'll see how I feel when I get home tonight.

Re-discovered Grindstone, aka pure digital crack. It's finally getting ported to other consoles, so I highly recommend you guys check it out if you like puzzle games at all.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:58 am Re-discovered Grindstone, aka pure digital crack. It's finally getting ported to other consoles, so I highly recommend you guys check it out if you like puzzle games at all.
I just watched the trailer... it should have had a trigger warning for monkey stabbing. :cry:

That looks like a match-3 type of game, and those are usually best on phone. Am I wrong?
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:16 am
argyle wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:58 am Re-discovered Grindstone, aka pure digital crack. It's finally getting ported to other consoles, so I highly recommend you guys check it out if you like puzzle games at all.
I just watched the trailer... it should have had a trigger warning for monkey stabbing. :cry:

That looks like a match-3 type of game, and those are usually best on phone. Am I wrong?
I've been playing on the TV. There's way more strategy involved than your typical match-3. You plan out your moves in advance before committing to them, trying to get the longest/best chain you can. The strategy aspect is what makes it so addictive IMO, it's just so satisfying to map out a really long chain & then watch it play out. The animation & music are just icing on the cake, they're both fantastic. I can't say enough good about the game really.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis