The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Fran Bow

Finished: Fran Bow

Playing: Little Misfortune

Added: Fran Bow

I finished Fran Bow, and while the story was hard to understand I still found the game interesting and entertaining throughout. The visuals were really appealing, and there was a good amount of variety to where you go. The puzzles were a mixed bag for me as I found some to be logical and some to be obtuse, but overall they were well designed for the most part. The game was a good length, and I found the ending satisfying. I think that I somewhat understand the story a little more after finishing the game, I almost want to play it again since I think that I could put the pieces of it together better by doing so. But now I’m going to play Little Misfortune since it’s the second game by the same developer, and I want to see what it’s like.

Games releasing this week
After You: Level Escape
Boss Rush Mythology
Cook Serve Forever
Dokapon Kingdom: Connect
Darkest Dungeon II
Elemental War II
Filthy Animals Heist Simulator
Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2
Garden Simulator
Gunvein
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Mechabellum
Midautumn
Nightmare Reaper
90” Soccer
Occupy Mars: The Game
Panorama
Size Matters
Space Engineers
Stellaris: Galactic Paragons
TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge 3
Voidtrain
Walkabout Mini Golf VR
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Star Wars: Jedi Survivor

Last week: Finished nothing, played Grindstone, Jedi Survivor (briefly...), Evil West

This week: Evil West, then Zelda

I should have listened to the warnings about the current state of Jedi Survivor. Even on Performance mode (which is what I play everything on) the framerate is very stuttery and the screen tears a lot. I don't care about ray tracing or fancy lighting or super-hyper-realistic textures - what the current gen has given us that I *do* care about is action games at a smooth 60 fps. Anything else gives me a headache. So I'll wait on JS until they patch it up - hopefully it will be in good shape by the time I'm done with Zelda.

Evil West, on the other hand, is a really fun game that knows exactly what it is. A bit of Devil May Cry, a bit of Darksiders, and a bit of Call of Juarez. It's an over-the-top action game like we rarely see these days, feels more like a PS2 or early PS3 game. Linear action that just gets to the point. I'm loving it. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:48 pm I finished Fran Bow, and while the story was hard to understand I still found the game interesting and entertaining throughout. The visuals were really appealing, and there was a good amount of variety to where you go. The puzzles were a mixed bag for me as I found some to be logical and some to be obtuse, but overall they were well designed for the most part. The game was a good length, and I found the ending satisfying. I think that I somewhat understand the story a little more after finishing the game, I almost want to play it again since I think that I could put the pieces of it together better by doing so. But now I’m going to play Little Misfortune since it’s the second game by the same developer, and I want to see what it’s like.
I enjoyed LM, but it was a good notch below FB for me. (Still a 4/5 in my judgment) It had tons of personality, just like Fran (and is set in the same universe according to the creator) and is still very enjoyable. But there is zero resistance to progression - no real mental aspect to bite into, narrative aside. So if you found the puzzles in FB to be obtuse, you'll have none of that with Little Misfortune. I think you'll enjoy it if you liked the overall tone and personality of FB.

And I know you and I interpret narrative (and reality :P) differently, but regarding the story in FB, it may be useful to consider that maybe the narrative isn't *intended* to have a "definitive" singular interpretation. If you demand clarity, you're only going to find it within - if then. Stitch things together as you will without being told what to think and allow the magic of potential/possibility into your world. ;)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:27 amIf you demand clarity, you're only going to find it within
spongebob power within.gif
spongebob power within.gif (3.12 MiB) Viewed 10972 times
:P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:07 pmEvil West, on the other hand, is a really fun game that knows exactly what it is. A bit of Devil May Cry, a bit of Darksiders, and a bit of Call of Juarez. It's an over-the-top action game like we rarely see these days, feels more like a PS2 or early PS3 game. Linear action that just gets to the point. I'm loving it. :)
Sounds good, I’ll buy it when I can get it for $20-$30.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:27 amI enjoyed LM, but it was a good notch below FB for me. (Still a 4/5 in my judgment) It had tons of personality, just like Fran (and is set in the same universe according to the creator) and is still very enjoyable. But there is zero resistance to progression - no real mental aspect to bite into, narrative aside. So if you found the puzzles in FB to be obtuse, you'll have none of that with Little Misfortune. I think you'll enjoy it if you liked the overall tone and personality of FB.
I played it a bit, and I was expecting it to be another point-and-click adventure puzzle game similar to Fran Bow, but it’s not. It’s a 2D side scrolling dark comedic interactive story. I like the art style, the overall tone is whimsical and I like its dark humor.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:27 amI know you and I interpret narrative (and reality :P) differently, but regarding the story in FB, it may be useful to consider that maybe the narrative isn't *intended* to have a "definitive" singular interpretation. If you demand clarity, you're only going to find it within - if then. Stitch things together as you will without being told what to think and allow the magic of potential/possibility into your world. ;)
By the end of the game I didn’t even care anymore, it was so out there the entire time that I just ended up enjoying everything that was happening in it without caring why. It was part horror, part fairy tale and part fantasy. The art and animation were a delight, and there was always something fascinating happening. It had good variety as well which kept it from ever really feeling repetitive. It was a good length too without overstaying its welcome, and I liked how it ended. It was an entertaining time throughout, and I definitely enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as you argyle, but still a good bit. I found it to be worth the $20 that I paid for it, so you don’t owe me $20 anymore. :P
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Huntdown (FINALLY at level 20...level 19 was A LOT), Cosmic Star Heroine :| , Trails of Cold Steel :| , Soul Calibur 6 mission thing, SF6 Demo

Bought: Nothing

This week: I am feenin' for some Assassin's Creed Valhalla right now...I just don't know why...

Huntdown is still goty. Love it.

Cosmic Star Heroine is also goddamn basic! They try to open the game up in the last 2 hours for some reason (I guess to justify the title?) and it's just not landing. The attempts at humor are very bad, the cutscenes are highly unnecessary, the characters are the middest ass mid and every one of them is perfect at everything at all times. The battle system is very, very basic Chrono Trigger and never progresses beyond the first chapter setup. It's just not good. I fail to see the appeal unless you NEEDED this to be the next Chrono Trigger. It is that minus the depth and charm. If that sounds like your jam, please enjoy Cosmic Star Heroine because I am not. I am just too close to stop now. Super looking forward to getting back to DQ8 after this debacle.

Trails of Cold Steel is so. Goddamn. SLOW. Even at 4x speed! I get they want to build the world and characters but it's taking so long. I am maybe 4 hours in but I keep stopping because so little happens and I just fall asleep on it. They really need to step it up because if I get to hour 10 and I am still messing around at this school, I am looking at a synopsis and moving onto 2 with the hope that SOMETHING happens in that one early enough to keep my attention. Because if not, I'm chalking it up as a loss.

SF6 demo got me hyped for fighters again so much I started the Soul Calibur 6 mission thing. I tried like always to make a character that looks like my wife but she's not nearly as hot as my wife. My wife is really hot. Yes I am bragging. Deal. Anyway, mission mode's not...good. It's not bad, it's just kinda there. I remember the DC one having a really cool involved mission mode. It's the only real bummer in this game so far but I will keep at it, maybe it gets better. If not, SF6 world tour mode essentially being open world Def Jam FFNY will just have to do...oooh, I can't wait :D !
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Little Misfortune, and it was nothing like Fran Bow. It’s a really short 2D side scrolling interactive story with very little actual gameplay. I enjoyed it primarily for the art, animation and dark humor throughout. However, it’s hard to believe that it was made by the same developer as Fran Bow because it’s not even half the game that is.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Horizon Burning Shores DLC

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

Burning Shores is complete! I just have to get 2 more trophies, but I think I did all side stuff. Horizon 3 in 2026 maybe?
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:32 pm I found it to be worth the $20 that I paid for it, so you don’t owe me $20 anymore. :P
crimson_tide wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:55 pm Cosmic Star Heroine is also goddamn basic! They try to open the game up in the last 2 hours for some reason (I guess to justify the title?) and it's just not landing. The attempts at humor are very bad, the cutscenes are highly unnecessary, the characters are the middest ass mid and every one of them is perfect at everything at all times. The battle system is very, very basic Chrono Trigger and never progresses beyond the first chapter setup. It's just not good. I fail to see the appeal unless you NEEDED this to be the next Chrono Trigger. It is that minus the depth and charm. If that sounds like your jam, please enjoy Cosmic Star Heroine because I am not. I am just too close to stop now.
That's a shame. It's in my backlog and I was excited to eventually play it. Ah well, maybe it will land for me if I ever start it up.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:49 pm I finished Little Misfortune, and it was nothing like Fran Bow. It’s a really short 2D side scrolling interactive story with very little actual gameplay. I enjoyed it primarily for the art, animation and dark humor throughout. However, it’s hard to believe that it was made by the same developer as Fran Bow because it’s not even half the game that is.
Yes, in terms of structure, it's so different. Even though I preferred FB by a good margin, I found it refreshing in some ways that the games were very unlike one another in terms of their practical execution. So unlike modern game development, especially from big developers, where a successful creation is duplicated, milked, and beaten senselessly into numb redundancy because dollars.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Octopath Traveler II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 30

I now have half the characters in OT2. Very nice variety in abilities and backstories. It will be interesting to see how the other four pan out. Overall, it's a beautiful, polished, fun game.