The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:58 am
Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:32 pmI found it to be worth the $20 that I paid for it, so you don’t owe me $20 anymore. :P
:lol:
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:58 amThat's a shame. It's in my backlog and I was excited to eventually play it. Ah well, maybe it will land for me if I ever start it up.
I really liked the little that I played of it, but I didn’t play as much as crim has. I’ll see what I think of it the next time that I play it.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:58 amYes, in terms of structure, it's so different. Even though I preferred FB by a good margin, I found it refreshing in some ways that the games were very unlike one another in terms of their practical execution. So unlike modern game development, especially from big developers, where a successful creation is duplicated, milked, and beaten senselessly into numb redundancy because dollars.
I didn’t want it to be another Fran Bow, but I did want it to be another game. I liked everything about it except for its lack of actual gameplay, puzzles and its length. It had the potential to be more than just a short interactive story, and I feel like they kind of dropped the ball with it. I still enjoyed it because it’s charming, cute and funny while it lasts, but I would have liked more actual interactivity and for it to be longer.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 279: 5/6/23: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

After playing a lot of indie games, I decided to play a big budget AAA game. I chose Far Cry New Dawn because I like the Far Cry series. Well I stopped playing it almost immediately because you play as a silent protagonist. In a game like this that is trying its best to offer a realistic world with a lot of story and characters, making the main playable character a silent protagonist is one of the stupidest decisions that there is. All of the other characters interact with your character, but your character doesn’t talk. It’s immersion ruining because you’re supposed to be playing as the hero of the game, yet your character doesn’t say squat.

It’s a shame because the game world is really realistic and impressive looking, but you basically play as a floating camera in it instead of an actual character because that’s all that I feel like I am in the game since my character doesn’t talk or interact with the other characters at all.

The character that I play as in a game is a big deciding factor as to how much that I’m going to enjoy a game as a whole. I don’t care how good a game is, if I don’t like the character that I’m playing as then I’m not going to like playing it.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I finished the last 2 trophies in Burning Shores, then completed the Midgar DLC for PowerWash Simulator, and now I'm starting FF1 Pixel Remaster (one of my fav games of all time, had to buy it lol).
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Yo. I am done Cosmic Star Heroine. It soft locked on me twice. Once it let me in a building that I wasn't supposed to go in yet (I didn't know that) then the door wouldn't open to let me leave. Fine, reload start over. Get back where I was, avoid building. Now I am stuck near a fountain because the main character is stuck on it and a piece of scenery. I usually give games 3 glitches before ditching them but I wasn't having any fun anymore anyway so I'm cutting my losses and letting it go. Real bummer this game and my experience with it.

Soul Calibur 6 Libra of Souls mission thing has started really growing on me. It's still not good but the fights are really fun.

Been busy and still haven't started Valhalla. But I did write up new workouts this week and naked them after Assassin's Creed playable characters starting with Evie and Jacob straight through Eivor. Been some killer new workouts I must say :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:43 pm But I did write up new workouts this week and naked them after Assassin's Creed playable characters starting with Evie and Jacob straight through Eivor. Been some killer new workouts I must say :P
I bet! :?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

jfissel wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:09 am I finished the last 2 trophies in Burning Shores, then completed the Midgar DLC for PowerWash Simulator, and now I'm starting FF1 Pixel Remaster (one of my fav games of all time, had to buy it lol).
6 hours into FF1, beat the earth boss, and now on my way to the fire boss (I don't recall there being anything to do in between...technically I could go to the ice cave first and do class change, but I'll stick to the conventional route).
argyle

Post by argyle »

Man, that FF trophy banner image is really cool. :) I want that set, but I don't have any nostalgia for the old FF's because I've never played them, so the price seems a little steep to me right now.

I believe I have 4 chapters left in Evil West, but of course I'll be picking up Zelda when I leave work today. I still want to try to finish it before I lose the thread of it, but it's gonna be tough squeezing it in. It's a really good game, but it does get really hard - I dropped the difficulty down to easy, which is NOT easy. Enemies can be damage sponges, and some of the combos they send at you in the second half of the game are really nasty. It's still a lot of fun tho, and I definitely recommend it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:02 am 6 hours into FF1, beat the earth boss, and now on my way to the fire boss (I don't recall there being anything to do in between...technically I could go to the ice cave first and do class change, but I'll stick to the conventional route).
Much nostalgia there. I first played that on NES and then the PSP version many years later. What's different in the new one?

argyle wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am Man, that FF trophy banner image is really cool. :)
Sure is! Almost worth the price of admission.

Is there a physical version of the whole set of six games?
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:53 am
jfissel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:02 am 6 hours into FF1, beat the earth boss, and now on my way to the fire boss (I don't recall there being anything to do in between...technically I could go to the ice cave first and do class change, but I'll stick to the conventional route).
Much nostalgia there. I first played that on NES and then the PSP version many years later. What's different in the new one?

argyle wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am Man, that FF trophy banner image is really cool. :)
Sure is! Almost worth the price of admission.

Is there a physical version of the whole set of six games?
Yep - S-E sold it as a very limited exclusive in their store, and I believe it sold out pretty quickly. However you can get the import for the same price they were selling it at ($80, again, kinda steep IMO) and from Play-Asia (who I highly recommend) if you add another $20 to your order it will even ship free.

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy ... /13/70g0qp

EDIT: But apparently the physical is Switch-only (not sure if the game itself is or not)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:19 am Yep - S-E sold it as a very limited exclusive in their store, and I believe it sold out pretty quickly. However you can get the import for the same price they were selling it at ($80, again, kinda steep IMO) and from Play-Asia (who I highly recommend) if you add another $20 to your order it will even ship free.

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy ... /13/70g0qp

EDIT: But apparently the physical is Switch-only (not sure if the game itself is or not)
Thanks for the word! No Switch here sooo... I guess I can buy digital (gross!). The game is also on PS4.