The Backlog Check-in Vol. 280: 5/13/23: Humanity Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 280: 5/13/23: Humanity Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, Little Misfortune

Finished: Little Misfortune

Playing: Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories

Added: Nothing

I’ve been playing Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, and enjoying it. I’ve been a fan of the Disaster Report series since the first game, so it’s nice to be playing another game in the series since it’s been so long since the last one which was Raw Danger! back in 2007. The third game came out for PSP in 2009, but wasn’t released outside of Japan for some reason. This fourth installment originally started development for PS3 which shows as it basically looks and plays like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game, but that’s part of its appeal IMO because we rarely get these type of quirky mid-tier AA Japanese games anymore. And while it’s less cartoonish in look compared to the previous games, it still has the same campiness, wackiness and zaniness to it.

Like the first game, you’re trying to escape a city during earthquakes. You meet people along the way that have mini-stories. It’s an adventure game with some exploration, and environment/key item puzzle solving. There’s no handholding or indication where to go, you have to figure out where to go on your own. It’s broken up into separate medium sized open-ish areas that you have to figure out how to get through before being able to progress further.

While the graphics are somewhat dated, the earthquake effects of the ground shaking and things collapsing are cool. My main complaint is that despite being able to choose to play as a female protagonist, the game was designed to be played as the male protagonist which is obvious by a lot of the dialogue choices and some of the story events. It’s a little immersion breaking and also somewhat odd considering that the female protagonist is the one featured on the box cover art, and title screen. But other than that it has been a fairly enjoyable older style off-the-wall Japanese game.

Games releasing this week
Another Fisherman’s Tale
Bunhouse
Castle of Alchemists
Cyber Citizen Shockman
Elypse
Firmament
Greedventory
Humanity
Infini
Last Labyrinth
LEGO 2K Drive
Love on Leave
Mountaincore
Nightmare Reaper
No One Lives Under the Lighthouse
The Outlast Trials
Pocket Mirror: GoldenerTraum
Rule the Waves 3
The Seven Awakenings: I Randall
Starship Troopers: Extermination
Tin Hearts
Trackmania
Trail of Ayash
Under the Warehouse
Verdict Guilty
Vividlope
V Rising: Secrets of Gloomrot
Warlander
World Championship Boxing Manager II
Zool Redimensioned
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun May 14, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 280: 5/13/23: Humanity Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Cosmic Star Heroine, Soul Calibur 6 mission mode, LEGO marvel superheroes, Huntdown

Bought: Little Noah, Samurai Shodown

Beat: HUNTDOWN 8-)

Thanks Phase! I looked into Little Noah after seeing it in one of your hauls. Seemed like something I could get into and picked it up on the cheap.

Still have that fighting game itch. Soul Calibur 6 mission mode has been doing right by me. I click through most of the dialogue because it's too dang small to see and generally meaningless but it's a lot of fun now that I am in the groove.

Huntdown is just amazing. What a final boss! I loved the hell out of this game. This is what I thought I was going to get from Freedom Planet, old school vibes with modern accessibility. I had a blast going through a level a night. The checkpoint system was pretty spot on and the fast restart always worked me up to give it just one more try. If it's ever on sale for the $3 I paid for it again, please buy it if you loved run and gun games like Contra and Gunstar Heroes. The bosses alone are worth the price of admission, they are so good!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I played more Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, and it’s a bigger game than I realized. I’m on day 2 of 6, and day 1 was pretty long. If all of the days are as long as day 1 then it’s a fairly lengthy game. It has picked up a bit, and I’m enjoying it even more now. It definitely seems like a PS2 or PS3 generation game, and that’s part of what I like about it. Also, it has become a little more gender neutral which is good although some dialogue choices are still obviously meant for the male protagonist. It’s definitely a Phase game, and I’m not sure if any of you would like it.
crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:54 pmThanks Phase! I looked into Little Noah after seeing it in one of your hauls. Seemed like something I could get into and picked it up on the cheap.
I’m glad that at least one game in my big hauls looked appealing to you. :P
crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:54 pmHuntdown is just amazing. What a final boss! I loved the hell out of this game. This is what I thought I was going to get from Freedom Planet, old school vibes with modern accessibility. I had a blast going through a level a night. The checkpoint system was pretty spot on and the fast restart always worked me up to give it just one more try. If it's ever on sale for the $3 I paid for it again, please buy it if you loved run and gun games like Contra and Gunstar Heroes.
Argyle and I have had it for a while now. I played a little of it back when I bought it and liked it, but I was finding it a little difficult especially the bosses. I plan on playing it again in the future when I’m in the mood for it.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: FFI Pixel Remaster (platinum 89)

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, FFI Pixel Remaster

Added to Backlog: FFI Pixel Remaster

Current Backlog: 43 games

FFI is complete! Took between 12 and 13 hours, but that was due to completing the bestiary and getting all treasures chests. Warmech only took me 15 mins to find, thankfully. And now I've started another game with a different party setup to try the 2 characters I didn't use on my first run...I'm using 4x exp and 4x gold boosts and don't care about anything else but the best treasure chests, so I am motoring through the game.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Last week: Finished nothing, played Evil West, Grindstone, Tears of the Kingdom

This week: Tears of the Kingdom

TotK is amazing, and just from what I've played this weekend it will almost definitely be my GotY. Best open-world exploration since Elden Ring.

Phaseknox wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:38 pm Argyle and I have had it for a while now. I played a little of it back when I bought it and liked it, but I was finding it a little difficult especially the bosses. I plan on playing it again in the future when I’m in the mood for it.
Huntdown has been my waiting room game. Tam has been having to get shots in her back, and I've been taking her & it takes FOREVER for them to get her back & give her the shots, so I end up bringing my Switch and this has been the game I play. The last time I played tho, I got stuck at a boss - don't remember which one. I fired it up last week at work to see if there was a difficulty setting, and there was not - I'll take another run at it at some point, and maybe watch some videos to get some tips if I can't make any headway. Dunno when all of that will take place tho.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Octopath Traveler II

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 30

I haven't had much time for gaming this week... I think I've unlocked half the characters in Octopath and ventured into Chapter 2. Very fun when I have time to play it.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:34 pm I haven't had much time for gaming this week... I think I've unlocked half the characters in Octopath and ventured into Chapter 2. Very fun when I have time to play it.
I'm guessing you recommend that game for me to play at some point, correct?

My second run of FFI has been completed - those boosts really make you focus on the story progression instead of some grinding for money or levels at certain points. And I beat it in 7:45 as opposed to 12:47 (when I had no boosts but also went for a complete bestiary). Ended up way overpowered at level 91, lol. I think maybe a boost of 2x would be a good middle ground, but 4x is cool to see how the different party make-ups work without worrying about dying.

1st party:
Warrior, Thief, Monk, White Mage

2nd party:
Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 am I'm guessing you recommend that game for me to play at some point, correct?
Yes sir, assuming it doesn't go downhill from here.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

My sister gave me her Switch Lite because she never plays it. She also gave me Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. My brother loaned me The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening and Metroid Dread.

I played a little Breath of the Wild, and I’m impressed with it so far. The game world is big, explorable and looks good. And it plays good as well. But despite it looking clean and crisp on the screen, the screen is pretty small. I admittedly would rather be playing it on a TV, but it’s also nice being able to play it anywhere instead of only in front of a TV.