The Backlog Check-in Vol. 281: 5/20/23: The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 281: 5/20/23: The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:50 pm Hey, it happens! Hope you are enjoying whatever else is occupying your time.
Thanks brother. But "nothing" is also the whatever-else that is occupying my time. :P And yeah, I'm enjoying it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 281: 5/20/23: The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Edition

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:22 pm Despite some problems I had with BOTW, I really loved that one. I'm sure I'll also enjoy this if I ever get to it.
I loved BotW, but TotK is an improvement in every way.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

izzy, I am going to assume you look and sound like David Putty going forward :P.

Midnight Suns is my kind of hype. I don't know if y'all would dig it but I am looking forward to digging into it some more.

But more importantly, y'all remember how I wouldn't shut the **** up about Lost Planet 2 and how truth be told it's probably my favorite PS3 game? Well...

Look, y'all can have your Zeldas and Resident Evils and whatever, you know...your quality, well made, triple A epics. Let me have my dumb mech suit game with a rogue AI summoning storms raining dinosaurs and ummm...time travel. It looks so dumb. I love it. Day one. Game of the year contender. I cannot wait. I ******* love Capcom.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:55 pmLook, y'all can have your Zeldas and Resident Evils and whatever, you know...your quality, well made, triple A epics. Let me have my dumb mech suit game with a rogue AI summoning storms raining dinosaurs and ummm...time travel. It looks so dumb. I love it.
I’m right there with you with letting others have their big budget popular games like The Legend of Zelda, because I’m kind of over them these days. I just finished Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, and enjoyed it more than a lot of big popular AAA games. I started playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild while I was playing it, and just wanted to go back to it. I found Breath of the Wild to be somewhat daunting offering a vast open world for you to explore right away without much direction as to where to go or what to do. I know that for some that’s really appealing and it probably would have been for me as well when I was younger, but these days I have ADD and so much to play that I like snappier pacing in the games that I play.

Disaster Report 4 was constantly entertaining throughout with crazy and zany things always happening. I mentioned that the game went off the rails on day 4, but it was completely batshit crazy by the end and I loved it. And this is why I tend to prefer AA and indie games to big AAA games these days, because they usually do what they want without trying to appeal to the masses.
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:55 pm izzy, I am going to assume you look and sound like David Putty going forward :P.

Midnight Suns is my kind of hype. I don't know if y'all would dig it but I am looking forward to digging into it some more.

But more importantly, y'all remember how I wouldn't shut the **** up about Lost Planet 2 and how truth be told it's probably my favorite PS3 game? Well...

Look, y'all can have your Zeldas and Resident Evils and whatever, you know...your quality, well made, triple A epics. Let me have my dumb mech suit game with a rogue AI summoning storms raining dinosaurs and ummm...time travel. It looks so dumb. I love it. Day one. Game of the year contender. I cannot wait. I ******* love Capcom.
Isn't this a multiplayer-only game? I saw a little about it a while back and the setting looked really cool, but it looked like an online multiplayer deal. I'd be happy to be wrong. :)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

You are correct argyle. Sadly, multiplayer only. That's why I sent this trailer to my Xbox game pass playing best friend ( who was my Lost Planet 2 ride or die) this trailer and he was sold instantly because it's on that service day one you lucky jerks :P . So I know who I'm playing with. If you want to try it, you are more than welcome to join us friend. They were at least smart enough to make it cross platform playable since it's online only.

And agreed Phase. I mean, Imma still play Midnight Suns and Valhalla in all their AAA glory. But I need these really goofy B tier games and I miss them desperately.
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:35 am You are correct argyle. Sadly, multiplayer only. That's why I sent this trailer to my Xbox game pass playing best friend ( who was my Lost Planet 2 ride or die) this trailer and he was sold instantly because it's on that service day one you lucky jerks :P . So I know who I'm playing with. If you want to try it, you are more than welcome to join us friend. They were at least smart enough to make it cross platform playable since it's online only.

And agreed Phase. I mean, Imma still play Midnight Suns and Valhalla in all their AAA glory. But I need these really goofy B tier games and I miss them desperately.
I may take you up on that. :)

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:35 amagreed Phase. I mean, Imma still play Midnight Suns and Valhalla in all their AAA glory. But I need these really goofy B tier games and I miss them desperately.
I’ll still play the occasional big AAA game as well, but the majority of my current game library and what I’m more in the mood to play these days are AA and indie games. It’s kind of funny how things have changed, because I used to be interested in AAA games more than anything else. But as we all know most AAA games these days are less innovative, co-op/multiplayer focused and less finished/polished.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:55 pm izzy, I am going to assume you look and sound like David Putty going forward :P.

:P
argyle wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:16 pm I loved BotW, but TotK is an improvement in every way.
I'm sure it's awesome. I've purposefully avoided any pre/reviews or spoilers about *anything*. I can imagine it's possible to get crazy creative with the physics and puzzles though. I hope they've got better voice work this time around though - or even better yet, have dumped it. And I hope the dungeons are better than the divine beasts. They were passable, but far from the high point of proper dungeons from the best in the series imho. I had no issue with the weapon breaking, fwiw. I would also hope that there's more enemy variety. But in the big picture, my complaints didn't prevent BOTW from being an all-time classic on my list - although probably lower on the spectrum of personal all-time greats.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

If you like Vanillaware games then you should check out Sword of the Vagrant, it’s only $10.