The Backlog Check-in Vol. 72: 5/18/19: Team Sonic Racing Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 72: 5/18/19: Team Sonic Racing Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Tales of Berseria

Last week: Finished Steamworld Dig 2, played Days Gone & Detroit.

This week: More of the same.

Steamworld Dig 2 was excellent, much better than the first. I'm still loving Days Gone as well, it's an excellent open-world game with its own unique feel, tons to do and some great characters / stories.

Detroit on the other hand has cooled a little. The biggest problem is that it is VERY heavy-handed with the points it's making. Subtlety is not in David Cage's vocabulary, apparently. I'm really close to the end, so I should finish it up this week. I just keep wanting to play DG every time I sit down to play.

Oh, and the new Sonic Racing Game is coming out this week if anyone cares. :P

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 72: 5/18/19: Team Sonic Racing Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still methodically working through Dark Souls 3. I just love taking my sweet time with this series.

Only played a small bit of Edith Finch.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: InFAMOUS: Second Son (story)

Now Playing: InFAMOUS: Second Son

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 29 games

Beat the story once in Second Son playing the good route, will play through again on evil.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Tales of Berseria

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Tales of Berseria

I'm still playing Tales of Berseria, and mildly enjoying my time with it. The story and characters are entertaining, but everything else about it is a little on the average side. Combat is somewhat fun, but a little button mash-y and repetitive. The environments are a bit of a mixed bag looking good in some places, and bland in others. Their designs and layouts (especially for the dungeons) are a bit dull. Usually in RPGs I like to spend time exploring the environments and going through the dungeons, but in this one I just go straight to the objective points to keep the story moving since that's what I'm primarily playing it for. It's design structure doesn't really lend for much exploring anyway.

This has been the worst generation for JRPGs IMO. I can't think of one really good one that I've played (I haven't played Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy XV, Ni no Kuni II, or Persona 5 yet). Part of the problem is that most of them are cross platform made for the Vita, PS3 and PS4 with the graphics only being slightly enhanced for the PS4 versions. But despite that, they seem to have lower budgets compared to past JRPGs and feel rushed lacking the care and time put into them like JRPGs used to get.
argyle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 pmGames added: Tales of Berseria
I thought that you already had Tales of Berseia. I'm curious to hear what you think of it when you play it. Have you played Tales of Zestiria?
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:29 pm
argyle wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 pmGames added: Tales of Berseria
I thought that you already had Tales of Berseia. I'm curious to hear what you think of it when you play it. Have you played Tales of Zestiria?
I had it briefly once before - I bought the CE off a friend a little over a year ago, he was selling some stuff getting ready to move to Japan. But I traded the game itself in because I knew I wasn't going to be playing it anytime soon. Decided to order it again the other night after realizing I haven't played a single Tales game this gen. I actually saw a video saying it was better to play Berseria before Zesteria - but regardless, I've heard more good about Berseria so I decided to start there. Plan on starting it after I finish up DG, which might be a little bit still. I'm not rushing that one, it's a really good game.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis