The Backlog Check-in Vol. 130: 6/27/20: Beating The Last of Us Part II Edition

jfissel

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 130: 6/27/20: Beating The Last of Us Part II Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: The Last of Us Part II (story)

Now Playing: The Last of Us Part II

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 32 games

Sorry about the title, but there's not much releasing this week. And I did finish the story in The Last of Us Part II today...clocking in at 35.5 hours and 198 collectibles (not sure how many I missed at this point). I won't say much about the story other than I thought it was good with some really great moments. The visuals, sound, animations, and weapons/tools are all top notch.

Phase - you done yet?
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 130: 6/27/20: Beating The Last of Us Part II Edition

Post by argyle »

Hi.
EagerEmbellishedErne-small.gif
EagerEmbellishedErne-small.gif (885.55 KiB) Viewed 8323 times
So...let's see. Well...I broke my Animal Crossing addiction about a month back or so. I still dabble with it occasionally, but it certainly isn't a daily habit anymore. To get a nice change of pace, I played through the Call of Duty: WWII campaign since that was this month's (last month's? what is time?) PS+ freebie. It was surprisingly good, reminded me of old-school CoD before it became a "thing". Very solid story, some fun things that broke up the shooting monotony scattered throughout and some very memorable levels. Also the right length, probably 6-8 hours tops, so it didn't wear out its welcome.

I've dabbled with a few other things. I picked up the Saints Row III remaster and I've been playing it off & on. They did a really good job with it, it really looks like a current-gen game. And the game has always been just plain dumb fun. It makes for a good pick up & play game when I just want a few mins of something mindless. The bulk of my game time over the past couple of weeks tho has gone to Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on the Switch. After all the time I put into the original version of the game, I wasn't sure that I wanted to get back into it right now. Honestly, I thought that maybe I wouldn't think as highly of it now, or that I would play a little & put it down because it's a long RPG that I've played before.

I currently have 105 hours in the Definitive Edition. I'm making it my goal to do everything, and believe me when I say that it's a labor of love. As much as I loved the game the first time through, I love it even more now. My few nit-picks with the original - mainly the clunky menus & inventory system, but of course also the SD graphics on the Wii when everything else had gone HD - are now completely fixed, with even more pleasant improvements like fully orchestrated music that I didn't even know I wanted. This is absolutely my favorite all-time JRPG, full stop. The exploration, combat, characters, shear size & scope of the world, countless side quests and pure joy of the minute to minute gameplay are second to none. I'm currently at the end boss, but I still have some more post-game stuff I want to do after that and then of course there's the new prologue they've added with this version which is reportedly another 12 hours or so. I feel comfortable at this point placing this game at a very close #2 on my all-time favorites list, right below Symphony of the Night. Absolute perfection.

Sorry I've been MIA for so long, it's been work weirdness and health weirdness (not COVID related, I feel like I always have to add that disclaimer these days) and just general 2020 weirdness. I'll try to do better. ;)

My next "big" game will be Ghost of Tsushima, after I wrap up Xeno I'll probably play some smaller stuff until then. Cane is actually inadvertantly encouraging me to finish up Yakuza 0, which I played over half-way through last year & then got sidetracked away from. We'll see.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 130: 6/27/20: Beating The Last of Us Part II Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pmSorry about the title, but there's not much releasing this week. And I did finish the story in The Last of Us Part II today
The title should be Finishing The Last of Us Part II instead of Beating it as that sounds like you're violently attacking it. :P
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pmPhase - you done yet?
I finished it today, it took me 35 hours and that was taking my time searching everywhere for ammo, collectibles, crafting materials, health items, notes, supplements, etc.

I enjoyed every minute of it and some really cool stuff happens throughout, but the story and ending didn't really do it for me. The story was entertaining because of a lot of the events that occur and how well that it's told, but I wouldn't call it good. It was kind of all over the place jumping here and there, and I think that a lot of things that happen in it should have been handled better/differently. The first game had a much better story IMO.

The best aspects of the game are its graphics, environment designs and gameplay. It looks stunning, and the combat is a lot of fun. But I feel that the game starts out better than it becomes later since it offers more exploration, environmental puzzles and platforming early on and then kind of becomes more of a straight forward linear action game later.

As much as I liked the game, it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting/hoping that it would be for reasons that I can't discuss because of spoilers.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pmHi.
Welcome back. :D
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pmI played through the Call of Duty: WWII campaign since that was this month's (last month's? what is time?) PS+ freebie. It was surprisingly good, reminded me of old-school CoD before it became a "thing". Very solid story, some fun things that broke up the shooting monotony scattered throughout and some very memorable levels.
This wasn't even on my radar, but now I'm going to check it out.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pmThe bulk of my game time over the past couple of weeks tho has gone to Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on the Switch.
With the release of this game there are now enough Switch games that I'm interested in to justify getting it. I don't know when I'll get it, but I definitely want it.
argyle wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pmSorry I've been MIA for so long, it's been work weirdness and health weirdness (not COVID related, I feel like I always have to add that disclaimer these days) and just general 2020 weirdness.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having health weirdness, I have as well. I was diagnosed with diabetes on Thursday, and I'm not taking it very well.

I have an aversion to needles which isn't good because now I have to poke the tips of my fingers with a needle to make them bleed to test my blood sugar with a glucometer a few times a day every day, and also insert a shot into my abdomen/buttocks/stomach/thigh to inject insulin three times a day for I don't know how long.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Glad you guys are all having fun with your games. Sorry you've got some health issues argyle/phase. Hopefully they aren't too debilitating. We're not as young as we were during the IGN days. :P Soon, we'll all be gone. :ghost:

I finished up Shadow Hearts and I really had a great time with it. Fun battles, pretty exciting story with a lot of drama and some interesting characters, and some good visuals and music. It definitely made a huge leap in overall quality in comparison to Koudelka. I'm now looking forward to Covenant and From the New World.

I'm currently playing Walden on PC. (A game about Thoreau's life/experience) I'm really loving the vibe of that. I think I'll give Curious Expedition some more time. I played that quite a bit earlier this year, but I'd like to go back before rendering judgment.

I've also been playing some old sports games. I guess the lack of sports is hitting me hard, lol. I've played NHL '94, NHL Faceoff '98, and Madden '06. I know old sports games aren't fun to many, but I still enjoy the good ones.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:39 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pmSorry about the title, but there's not much releasing this week. And I did finish the story in The Last of Us Part II today
The title should be Finishing The Last of Us Part II instead of Beating it as that sounds like you're violently attacking it. :P
jfissel wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pmPhase - you done yet?
I finished it today, it took me 35 hours and that was taking my time searching everywhere for ammo, collectibles, crafting materials, health items, notes, supplements, etc.

I enjoyed every minute of it and some really cool stuff happens throughout, but the story and ending didn't really do it for me. The story was entertaining because of a lot of the events that occur and how well that it's told, but I wouldn't call it good. It was kind of all over the place jumping here and there, and I think that a lot of things that happen in it should have been handled better/differently. The first game had a much better story IMO.

The best aspects of the game are its graphics, environment designs and gameplay. It looks stunning, and the combat is a lot of fun. But I feel that the game starts out better than it becomes later since it offers more exploration, environmental puzzles and platforming early on and then kind of becomes more of a straight forward linear action game later.

As much as I liked the game, it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting/hoping that it would be for reasons that I can't discuss because of spoilers.
Well, the game is violent...

You had a similar playtime as me, sounds like we had the same philosophy of exploring everywhere before moving on. Agreed on the story compared to the first game. Definitely a must play if you enjoyed the first game for any reason.

Yo, argyle! Welcome back and continue playing Yakuza 0! :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Yakuza 0

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (13 PS4, 9 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

All right, Yakuza peeps... any tips on managing the cabaret? I have a nice roster, having done a lot of side quests, and I've trained up the one who can be trained, but I fail when they're on the job and the clock is ticking. Pimpin ain't easy.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm All right, Yakuza peeps... any tips on managing the cabaret? I have a nice roster, having done a lot of side quests, and I've trained up the one who can be trained, but I fail when they're on the job and the clock is ticking. Pimpin ain't easy.
Is there a particular reason you think you're failing? Only work the girls when they are happy for starters, then try to pair them with the guests who are the best fit (aka someone wants cute and talk, then find a girl with those qualities and send her to his table). Also, make sure you know all the hand signals and help them out when they have a problem at their table. And then finally, the girls wear down during the night so you'll need to watch them and choose options like giving the girl a gift in order to bring up their happiness. But yeah, 6 tables going at once with multiple needs for help and guests coming and going every 30 seconds to a minute can be hectic, lol.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Man, I JUST started summer vacation less than an hour ago...I was supposed to be done June 26 :evil: ! Anyway, to address all the things:

-argyle, sorry about your health issues dude! I have tried so hard with Xenoblade and put 50+ hours on on the Wii but I just cannot get into that battle system. It's also a bit unwieldy with all the side stuff and whatnot I find. But I made it through both Origins and Odyssey and their mess of icons and enormous missions lists. My wife has a Switch, I might try it again. No time soon, but it could happen.

-phase, that sucks dude! I am so sorry, I keep being diagnosed pre diabetic. I gotta stay on top of the weight all the time, watch what I eat and all because I do not want to cross into beiing diabetic. I am really sorry that's happening to you, dude.

-old man, let me introduce you to a friend of mine called cyricz. This mofo has gotten me through so much Yakuza and Lost Paradise and Judgment side stuff, love this dude...just click https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/81630 ... -club-czar. You're welcome! And this is nothing, at least there's pauses. Lost Paradise running the club was nonstop, really not cool!

-sup j and izzy :) (I felt some kind of way about not addressing y'all)

Played: the Odyssey dlc

Beat: the Odyssey doc. So now I am done with Odyssey. Maybe. You get some fun stuff to use in that dlc. I dunno. I will leave all 100 GB of the game there until I have to clean out the fridge. I might actually want to plat it. Even though after 135 hours over two months and FIVE POSSIBLE CHANCES AT A SATISFYING CONCLUSION they still couldn't stick any of the landings. The first dlc ending was just infuriating in so many ways. And future chick...dear lord, I just need her gone. She's the worst. But that game is flipping fun man, kept me going for months!

Bought: Diablo 3 Eternal Collection, KOF collection (I don't know exactly why...). Might pick up Dead Rising 4 and MM Zero/ZX.

This week:...something that's not Odyssey :P .

So FF14 5.3 patch comes out on August 11 so my plan to start FF14 this month is out the window. I have no clue what to play next. PS Now has the first 2 Trails of Cold Steel games. I might just jump on finally. They also have Disgaea 5 on there. FF12 is still about too. I don't know, we will see where I land...
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 am -sup j and izzy :) (I felt some kind of way about not addressing y'all)
If you don't have anything personal and timely to say, don't say anything! /s :P

Any of you guys ever played any version of Gallop Racer on PS2. I've been intrigued for a long time - obviously, and I'm thinking of jumping in. (I still remain the only member true to the spirit of this board! :P)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Gallup Racer? I've played a few million PS2 games but not that. I assume it's horse racing?
jfissel wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 pm Is there a particular reason you think you're failing?
Yeah, customers and girls all seem unhappy and I'm rated F. :lol:
jfissel wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 pm Only work the girls when they are happy for starters, then try to pair them with the guests who are the best fit (aka someone wants cute and talk, then find a girl with those qualities and send her to his table). Also, make sure you know all the hand signals and help them out when they have a problem at their table. And then finally, the girls wear down during the night so you'll need to watch them and choose options like giving the girl a gift in order to bring up their happiness. But yeah, 6 tables going at once with multiple needs for help and guests coming and going every 30 seconds to a minute can be hectic, lol.
So how do you know if a girl is a match? They're rated with Playstation symbols... circle, triangle, etc. (This was probably explained but it sailed over my head or popped out of my brain.)

I doubt I'll ever be successful with this... it's kinda like an RTS, which I just can't do. I'm doing much better with Kaz and the real estate.