The Backlog Check-in Vol. 187: 7/31/21: Apex Legends Emergence Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 187: 7/31/21: Apex Legends Emergence Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Diablo III: Eternal Collection, Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Diablo III: Eternal Collection

Added: Nothing

I made it to Act III in Diablo III, and the repetition of it got to be too much for me so I decided to quit playing. I started playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and I was really enjoying it. It’s a colorful, cute and humorous third person open world action adventure platformer that plays good with smooth traversal, and exciting combat. It offers creative puzzles, fun side activities, rewarding collectibles and a lot of abilities and skills to unlock. However, I’m not ready for another third person open world action adventure game packed with content right now since I just recently finished Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla back to back. I need to take a break from the genre.

I decided to give Diablo III another chance since it’s more of what I’m in the mood for right now, and I’m glad that I did because I decided to start over from the beginning as a different character (Demon Hunter) and play it on hard from the start and I’m having a lot more fun with it this time.

I was playing as the Crusader before, and she’s a fairly generic character IMO. She has a (purposefully) wooden personality, a melee weapon and shield and somewhat uninteresting special abilities/skills that I just spammed over and over again. She was part of what made the game less engaging for me since she’s not that exciting to play. It also didn’t help that I played a good amount of the game on normal difficulty which didn’t present any sort of a challenge whatsoever.

The Demon Hunter is a much better character IMO. She’s a badass archer that’s agile, and basically makes the game a twin stick shooter with her rapid fire arrow attacks and arsenal of kick-ass special abilities and skills. She’s just fun to play, and requires you to do more than just spam buttons since she’s a ranged fighter. It also helps that I’m playing on hard from the start, because just spamming buttons isn’t enough to survive the onslaughts of creatures, demons and monsters that are constantly coming after you. I’m having a lot more fun with the game this time, and plan on finishing it.

Games releasing this week
Animus Revenant
Apex Legends Emergence
Armed Emeth
Bless Unleashed
Bone Marrow
Castle of Pixel Skulls DX
Deadly Days
Death Trash
Dodgeball Academia
Dungeon Defenders: Awakened
Enter Digiton: Heart of Corruption
Goroons
Grime
Hunter’s Arena: Legends
In Sound Mind
Masked Ninja Action
No Thing
Orbals
Spelunker HD Deluxe
Starmancer
Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg
Strategic Mind: The Pacific
Last edited by Phaseknox on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 187: 7/31/21: Apex Legends Emergence Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:58 am I started playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and I was really enjoying it. It’s a colorful, cute and humorous third person open world action adventure platformer that plays good with smooth traversal, and exciting combat. It offers creative puzzles, fun side activities, rewarding collectibles and a lot of abilities and skills to unlock.
Agree on all counts. Thanks to you all who suggested it. I'm about 50 hours in, really enjoying it despite a few flaws (as has been mentioned, the platforming can be rough, and there is some repetition).

Played recently: Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 17 (13 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:50 amAgree on all counts. Thanks to you all who suggested it. I'm about 50 hours in, really enjoying it despite a few flaws (as has been mentioned, the platforming can be rough, and there is some repetition).
When I posted my original post (I edited it late last night) I was still playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising and hadn’t started Diablo III again, but j mentioned playing it for over 50 hours and I just wasn’t prepared to sink that kind of time into another third person open world action adventure game right now despite really enjoying it.

It was developed by the team that made Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and it somewhat feels like a cartoonish and comical version of that in a lot of ways IMO. Just coming off of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Valhalla I wasn’t really ready for another game of that type right now. I also kind of want to play the expansions when I play it which I was hoping the season pass for it would have gone on sale by now. The third one is what I’m most interested in, and I might buy it if the season pass doesn’t go on sale.

As for Diablo III, which are your favorite characters? I liked the Crusader at first, but she’s a semi-tank character that doesn’t advance much in terms of abilities and skills. The Demon Hunter is my favorite in terms of appearance, personality and abilities/skills. She really grows beyond what she starts out as. I also played a little as the Barbarian, Monk and Necromancer. The Barbarian is too much of a tank character for my liking, but I really liked the Monk and Necromancer. However, I still think that the Demon Hunter is my favorite as she makes the game play like a twin stick shooter which is what the design of it somewhat feels like.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I just played through it once and I was a Crusader. Tankish but with some good skills.

Have you run into the... well, there's one thing in the game that is one of the funniest and most bizarre I've ever encountered. Let me know if you see it (you will know).
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Immortals: Fenyx Rising PS5, Final Fantasy VII Remake

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Finally hooked the PS5 back up in a different location and began playing Immortals again. I'm nearing the very end and I think I've done everything else in the game up to this point. Play time is about 65 hours.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pmI just played through it once and I was a Crusader. Tankish but with some good skills.

:P

Did you try any of the other characters? The Crusader isn’t bad, but the Demon Hunter, Monk and Necromancer are more agile, and have better abilities and skills IMO.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pmHave you run into the... well, there's one thing in the game that is one of the funniest and most bizarre I've ever encountered. Let me know if you see it (you will know).
Not yet. I’m currently in Act II, and should make it to Act III soon. My character is a creature/demon/monster slaughtering machine. The Demon Hunter is a serious badass, so is the Monk based on what I played of her.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

The thing I'm referring to is a random encounter.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I started playing Earthbound for the SNES. Just a little lttp. :P

Wow, it's been fantastic so far. (about 10 hours in) So charming and different. I love the "modern" real world setting and the characters and humor are really nice. The combat is a bit simple, but it's still engaging and fun imho. I'm only in "Threed" (the third town), but if it keeps up, it'll be high on my year-end list.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

The Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Season Pass is on sale, so I bought it since I heard that the two expansions are really good. I planned on playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey again in the future, so I figured that I should play its expansions as well when I did. Well the future is now because I started playing it again. I played it for a few hours, and I’m enjoying it just as much now as I originally did. It’s a great game, and Kassandra is one of my favorite game protagonists.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:37 pm I started playing Earthbound for the SNES. Just a little lttp. :P

Wow, it's been fantastic so far. (about 10 hours in) So charming and different. I love the "modern" real world setting and the characters and humor are really nice. The combat is a bit simple, but it's still engaging and fun imho. I'm only in "Threed" (the third town), but if it keeps up, it'll be high on my year-end list.
Yeah, I was pretty lttp too on that one, but it holds up!