Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 188: 8/7/21: Lawn Mowing Simulator Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Added: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Season Pass

I agree with this guy...

Playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey again after Valhalla has proven to me how much better of a game that it is IMO, perhaps not a better AC game (Valhalla purposely feels more like AC due to complaints that Origins and Odyssey were too big of departures from the original AC formula) but a better game in general. However, that’s the thing about Odyssey - it’s not really an AC game. Despite having the AC name attached to it (and the modern day sci-fi stuff that cane loves so much) it’s more like a standalone game that I like to call The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer.

I personally like it more than the previous AC games, and it’s the best third person open world action/adventure/RPG that I’ve played (Ghost of Tsushima, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Mass Effect: Andromeda come close). It might even be the best game that I’ve played in general, but I haven’t played Lawn Mowing Simulator yet. :P

It’s a blend of some of my favorite genres such as action, hack-and-slash, adventure, RPG, stealth and open world, and the loot aspect of it is great. Frequently obtaining better armor and weapons (something that Valhalla pretty much lacks) is rewarding/satisfying, and the abilities and skills that you’re continuously unlocking/upgrading are really cool.

It has some of the best melee combat that I’ve experienced in a game, and there’s a good variety of enemies that you fight. And constantly having bounty hunters/mercenaries coming after you is exciting as they’re like mini-bosses. Hunting down and assassinating cult members is a lot of fun, too. Not to mention clearing out/looting bandit camps/soldier forts, as well as caves/ruins.

The mix of seriousness and humor throughout keeps it from having one tone the whole time (like Valhalla), and it offers a colorful cast of characters. Not to mention a big beautiful world to explore both on land and sea, and a staggering amount of quests that are all fun with their own mini-stories. The main story might not be the strongest (the one thing that Valhalla does better), but it’s still entertaining and never boring which is what counts.

The fact that I’m playing it again just a few months after finishing it and enjoying it just as much if not more speaks volumes about it. It’s easily one of the best games that I’ve played, and stands out amongst the plethora of games that are available these days.

Games releasing this week
Action Arcade Wrestling
The Amazing American Circus
Arashi: Castles of Sin
Art of Rally
Black Book
Button City
Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four
Car Mechanic Simulator 2021
City of Gangsters
Doctor Who: The Lonely Assassins
Dwarrows
Ever Forward
Faraday Protocol
Fire Tonight
Fishing Adventure
Foreclosed
Fort Triumph
Gelly Break Deluxe
Harry the Bunny
I Am Dead
Lawn Mowing Simulator
Naraka: Bladepoint
Non - The First Warp
PAW Patrol The Movie: Adventure City Calls
The Plane Effect
Shadowverse: Champion’s Battle
Shakes on a Plane
Super Hiking League DX
Tetragon
Untitled Darkness
Whiskey Mafia: Frank’s Story
WitchSpring 3 Re:Fine - The Story of Eirudy
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 188: 8/7/21: Lawn Mowing Simulator Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:41 am Despite having the AC name attached to it (and the modern day sci-fi stuff that cane loves so much) it’s more like a standalone game that I like to call The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer.
Thank you for reminding me of this so that I can resist the temptation to play it. :)

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:41 am It might even the best game that I’ve played in general, but I haven’t played Lawn Mowing Simulator yet. :P
:lol:

Played recently: Immortals: Fenyx Rising

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 17 (13 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)

I'm at the 55-hour mark on Immortals and still having a great time. The only question is whether I'll try to get 100% (some of the chests in the vaults seem like they will be a large pain in the hindquarters).
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Immortals: Fenyx Rising (platinum)

Now Playing: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart PS5, Final Fantasy VII Remake

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 39 games

Platinum'd Immortals, really had a lot of fun with it despite a few flaws (like the button response and some platforming).

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm I'm at the 55-hour mark on Immortals and still having a great time. The only question is whether I'll try to get 100% (some of the chests in the vaults seem like they will be a large pain in the hindquarters).
Yes, some of them are impossible if you don't have the right skills and then just merely very tough even if you do. >< There was one, maybe it was where you had to prove your mastery of Ares' Wrath...that one was not fun.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

j, I was expecting you to chime in on the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey video that I posted and things that I said about the game.

Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Hey j, are the side missions where you get gold, silver or bronze for your completion time part of the platinum?

Eh, never mind. I just saw that it requires stuff like this...

It's A Bird!
Perform a 25 hit combo while in air.

Look, No Hands!
Defeat 10 enemies using traps inside the Vaults of Tartaros.

No thanks. I will try for 100% though.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:28 pmI just saw that it requires stuff like this...

It's A Bird!
Perform a 25 hit combo while in air.

Look, No Hands!
Defeat 10 enemies using traps inside the Vaults of Tartaros.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I bet they don't have anything like that in this one:

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I already own a better lawn mowing simulator. :P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Yes indeed! :lol:
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Finished up Earthbound. What a blast. Such a unique game. It certainly got tough in spots, but was so satisfying in the end. I can surely see why it's such a beloved classic game. Never really played anything else quite like it in terms of tone/presentation.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!