The Backlog Check-in Vol. 203: 11/20/21: Thanksgiving Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 203: 11/20/21: Thanksgiving Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 amI’m glad to hear that Biomutant is good. I’m hoping to get it for $20 soon.
I just bought it for $20, along with Guardians of the Galaxy for $25.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Happy Thanksgiving, fam. Oh my low key favorite, high key super problematic holiday!

Played: The Adventure Pals, Circle of the Moon, JoJo Bizarre Adventure, I looked at Jump Force...oh and 4 Goddesses Online. The game that will make my top 10 based purely on its ability to be continuously fine...I am kinda bummed I can't play in front of people because needless fanservice. It's really juvenile and unnecessary but they it's relegated to the graphic novel cutscenes which I now know you can skip and miss absolutely nothing. There's even a trophy for seeing panty shots they straight up force on you out of nowhere. Gosh danged horny ass anime titty games...

Bought: Adventure Pals, Jump Force...I think that's it. I will also be buying Ace Combat 7 because, a) pretty, b) cheap, c) Bandai Namco. Seriously, I'm buying so many Bandai Namco games this year...

This week: Adventure Pals, probably Sims 4 finally and whatever I end up getting back to this long weekend :) .

So. I tried Adventure Pals before throwing it to my goddaughter. I like a lot of what I played. I like the controls, especially the easy to pull off wall jump and giraffe copter. The combat should be right up her alley. There's stuff to collect all over so she'll like that. We're going to try it tonight. Thanks again argyle, should be a good time.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Happy Thanksgiving all. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday, wherever and with whomever you spend it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:20 pmHappy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope you are all able to be with family/friends and have a good meal!
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 amHappy Thanksgiving, fam. Oh my low key favorite, high key super problematic holiday!
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am Happy Thanksgiving all. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday, wherever and with whomever you spend it.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I’m admittedly a bit of a Scrooge when it comes to holidays these days, but I hope that you all have a good one.
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 amSo. I tried Adventure Pals before throwing it to my goddaughter. I like a lot of what I played. I like the controls, especially the easy to pull off wall jump and giraffe copter. The combat should be right up her alley. There's stuff to collect all over so she'll like that.
You might have missed it, but I mentioned in last week’s backlog thread that you might want to check out Ary and the Secret of Seasons and A Knight’s Quest to play with your goddaughter. They’re third person cartoonish, comical and cute action platformers that she might like. They’re currently on sale at the PS Store for cheap.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Same to all of you fine fellows. I hope you're able to enjoy one of the best holidays as intended with delicious food and gratitude (and maybe a side of football).
argyle

Post by argyle »

I've put a little more time into Biomutant. The gameplay is great, combat is fun and it's a really pretty world (technically it has some issues, supposedly it was made by a really small team, but the art direction carries it). But the story, and especially the way it's told, is hot garbage. It's super black-and-white basic, and there's an ever-present narrator that turns the feel of the game from discovery to being told what's happening & what you should do. Really odd decision. There's one point just after the tutorial where they pull back and show you the map and tell you there's tribe A to the right that wants to heal the world and tribe B to the left that wants to kill all the weak people, and you have to pick one to join. And then they give you control again and there are literally 2 paths to take. There's no interacting with the tribes first to discover what they're like, there's obviously no shades of grey (seriously, help everyone or kill everyone?) - just "do you want to be a good guy or an asshole? Pick now."

If it wasn't for that stuff, the game would be an easy recommend. As it is, if you can basically ignore the story and just go in for the combat then it's a good time - but $20 is about the right price for it too.

I'm glad you guys are digging Adventure Pals - there's few things in games that are as purely joyful as that giraffe-copter. :D

Oh, and everyone enjoy your popcorn & toast tomorrow!
a-charlie-brown-thanksgiving.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:53 amI've put a little more time into Biomutant. The gameplay is great, combat is fun and it's a really pretty world (technically it has some issues, supposedly it was made by a really small team, but the art direction carries it). But the story, and especially the way it's told, is hot garbage. It's super black-and-white basic, and there's an ever-present narrator that turns the feel of the game from discovery to being told what's happening & what you should do. Really odd decision. There's one point just after the tutorial where they pull back and show you the map and tell you there's tribe A to the right that wants to heal the world and tribe B to the left that wants to kill all the weak people, and you have to pick one to join. And then they give you control again and there are literally 2 paths to take. There's no interacting with the tribes first to discover what they're like, there's obviously no shades of grey (seriously, help everyone or kill everyone?) - just "do you want to be a good guy or an asshole? Pick now."

If it wasn't for that stuff, the game would be an easy recommend. As it is, if you can basically ignore the story and just go in for the combat then it's a good time - but $20 is about the right price for it too.
I bought it yesterday for $20, and I still probably would have after reading these impressions since despite the story aspects not sounding good I’m still curious about the game. I also just bought Avengers for $15 since it seems like the story campaign alone is at least worth that much. I also bought Far Cry 6 and Life is Strange: True Colors for $35 each. While I wanted to pay $30 or less for them, I went ahead and paid the extra $5 each to have them sooner rather than later.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Le sigh...I made the poor decision to play The Adventure Pals with kiddo before Sims 4. She could only fixate on getting to Sims so TAP fell right off a cliff for her. Then Sims 4 was a goddanged nightmare! She fell off after an hour...then immediately wanted to go back to Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 :| . I will never be away from that game :cry: ...

Also, Circle of the Moon is really ******* hard! I was struggling to get through and figure out where to go next after a particular boss. That game is unforgiving! Also, it's cool they have this card system...but after 4-5 hours, I still have 2 cards total. So they clearly expect me to be able to do things that they are not giving me the tools to do. I got to the next boss and am completely outclassed and flummoxed as to how I can do anything in my current state even with rewind. I am likely to move on to the next few at this point, Harmony of Dissonance I think? I mean, I like Circle but I am starting to remember why I stopped many years ago and then started to ignore GBA Castlevania games...I thought they were all just Circle of the Moon hard :P

Oh and Phase, those are single player games and they have stories. She hated sitting through story bits and definitely won't do anything on her own playing. Thanks for the suggestions though, I will look into anything at this point as long as it's two player :)
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pmAlso, Circle of the Moon is really ******* hard! I was struggling to get through and figure out where to go next after a particular boss. That game is unforgiving! Also, it's cool they have this card system...but after 4-5 hours, I still have 2 cards total. So they clearly expect me to be able to do things that they are not giving me the tools to do. I got to the next boss and am completely outclassed and flummoxed as to how I can do anything in my current state even with rewind. I am likely to move on to the next few at this point, Harmony of Dissonance I think? I mean, I like Circle but I am starting to remember why I stopped many years ago and then started to ignore GBA Castlevania games...I thought they were all just Circle of the Moon hard :P
The Circle port shows you when an enemy has a card that you haven't gotten yet. When you see that pop up, farm that enemy - find a good spot where the enemy spawns just inside a doorway and go in & out killing them until it drops. Some of those card combos are very powerful and make a big difference in the game's difficulty.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis