The Backlog Check-in Vol. 224: 4/16/22: Easter Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 224: 4/16/22: Easter Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: American Fugitive, Atom RPG, Fuse, Knights Contract

Finished: Fuse

Playing: American Fugitive

Added: Nothing

I stopped playing Atom RPG. While its design structure, post apocalyptic world and tactical turn-based combat are all pretty good, there’s an overwhelming amount of reading that unfortunately was dragging the experience down for me. The NPCs prattle on forever. There’s no voice acting or character emoting, just still images and endless amounts of text to read. It also doesn’t help that the english translation (the game was developed in Eastern Europe) is somewhat poor, and there’s a juvenile attempt at humor a lot of the time. In addition to having to read boring, long-winded and unfunny dialogue from each NPC, every action and interaction with things in the game world is described in lengthy detail like a text adventure.

I started playing American Fugitive, and it’s been fun. It’s an isometric view open world action game with combat, driving and burglary. It’s similar to Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. The graphics, gameplay and music are all pretty good. If you like GTA, then I would recommend checking it out.

Games releasing this week
Anuchard
Chernobylite
Deck of Ashes
Dragon Caffi
Ganryu 2: Hakuma Kojiro
Glover
The Iron Oath
Liberated
Lumote
Mokoko X
MotoGP 22
MythForce
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars
Orbit Industries
Postal 4: No Regrets
Revita
Samurai Bringer
Warstride Challenges
Winter Ember
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 224: 4/16/22: Easter Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Antiquia Lost because I was in the mood for a retro style turn-based JRPG that sticks to the basics of the genre without having a lot of complicated mechanics, and/or systems. That’s exactly what it is, it’s linear and straight forward with an overworld map, towns with NPCs and dungeons. Things are kept simple for the most part, and that’s what I’m in the mood for right now.

The story is decent, the characters are likable, the combat is traditional turn-based and everything has a charming, cute and humorous vibe to it. The pacing is good too, nothing is long or drawn out. It’s not overly challenging either, only the bosses present somewhat of a challenge so I can play for long periods of time without getting frustrated and wanting to quit.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:20 am I started playing American Fugitive, and it’s been fun. It’s an isometric view open world action game with combat, driving and burglary. It’s similar to Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. The graphics, gameplay and music are all pretty good. If you like GTA, then I would recommend checking it out.
You sure bounced off of that one quickly after getting me interested. :lol:

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 23 (19 PS4, 4 Switch)

I've hit what seems to be a wall in Elden Ring. I'm about 65 hours in and level 56, and for the first time it seems like all of the paths open to me are overwhelming, with extremely tough bosses or even regular enemies who can take me out in a hit or two. I'm going to have to spend some time in the earlier areas to see if I missed anything and get runes/level up.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 amYou sure bounced off of that one quickly after getting me interested. :lol:
I didn’t bounce off of it, I’m still playing it and liking it. But it’s kind of an arcade-y action game, so it’s not really something that I play for hours at a time like I would an adventure game or RPG. Basically, it’s fun in smaller doses IMO. The same is kind of true for Antiquia Lost as well. While it’s an RPG, it’s a retro style linear 2D one that is somewhat on the basic side so I don’t have an urge to play it for several hours at a time like I would a deeper and more engrossing modern style RPG that I can really lose myself in. So I can alternate playing between the two fairly easily, especially since they’re completely different genres. With that said, I think that you would really like American Fugitive.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Gran Turismo 7

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

GT7...having a blast! A few of the cars/tracks/missions are tough, but they just take practice. The presentation of this game is top notch and using a regular controller is working well.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I managed to cram in a game while playing a bunch of other stuff. :P I just finished Celeste and WOW, what a game. I knew it was well-loved, but I never try to let public or critical reception influence my expectations too much. But all the praise was more than well-deserved. Incredible. It's very tough, and I died a ton, but making it to the summit was one of the most fun and satisfying things I've done in gaming in a bit. If any of you guys really love platforming and don't mind a challenge, don't miss it. (there is an "assist" mode or something, I forgot what it's called, but I'd advise against using it if you play.) It's doable, but it may stretch you in ways that you weren't anticipating. But it teaches along the way and makes you feel so good when you get it done. And there's TONS of post-game content if you really want to abuse yourself. :P Highly recommended. It took me about 9 and a half hours and I died 2699 times on my journey, but it was so addictive and just plain fun.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:32 pmI just finished Celeste and WOW, what a game. I knew it was well-loved, but I never try to let public or critical reception influence my expectations too much. But all the praise was more than well-deserved. Incredible. It's very tough, and I died a ton, but making it to the summit was one of the most fun and satisfying things I've done in gaming in a bit. If any of you guys really love platforming and don't mind a challenge, don't miss it.
I have it, so I’m glad to hear that it’s good. I plan on playing it when I’m in the mood for a 2D platformer.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

So look, spring break hasn't been the Lost Judgement joyride I wanted it to be because life happens. However, must admit I was wrong about Soul Calibur 6. I beat this game earlier this week and turns out it's not the boring slog I first thought. I flipping love this thing! There's a ton to do outside the main story. I am going through the character paths now and will go through the Libra of Souls which is like the quest thing from the original Soul Calibur. I also really dug the character creation. I even bought the second season pass while it's on sale. It's not as good as Tekken 7 but I'm going to be playing this for a bit now.

As for Tekken 7, I think I am going to be a Noctis main as I quest for the plat in that game. Mostly because I like FF15 a lot and think Noctis and the boys got a bum rap. Plus he cheats and has a small armory of invisible weapons and still has a warp strike which seems really unfair in a hand to hand fighting tournament.

I finally am getting into fighting games again :D !
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:09 am I finally am getting into fighting games again :D !
I've got Soul Calibur 6 and Tekken 7 in my backlog, but never tried them. Hopefully one day. Did you ever get into Virtua Fighter? That's easily my all-time favorite fighting series, and one of my all-time favorites in general.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!