The Backlog Check-in Vol. 226: 4/30/22: Trek to Yomi Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 226: 4/30/22: Trek to Yomi Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Shenmue, Strange Brigade

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Shenmue

Added: Nothing

I started playing Shenmue since I was in the mood for a somewhat more chill game right now. It’s been 22 years since I originally played it back on the Dreamcast, and when I first started playing it now I was kind of wondering what I saw in it back then. It’s a lot of walking and talking with clunky and stiff controls, poorly written dialogue and laughably bad voice acting. I was starting to think that it was too dated to enjoy again now, but after a while it all started to click. I adjusted to its outdated graphics and gameplay, and started to find charm in its goofy dialogue and voice acting. Now I’m really into it, and finding it to be an enjoyable cinematic adventure game just like I did back in 2000. I want to finish it and Shenmue II so that I can play Shenmue III which I’ve had in my backlog for a while now.

Games releasing this week
Adios Amigos
Best Month Ever!
Citizen Sleeper
Dungeon Defenders: Awakened
Elemental War II
Loot River
Oaken
Trek to Yomi
Warhammer 40,000: Chaosgate - Daemonhunters
Wildcat Gun Machine
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 226: 4/30/22: Trek to Yomi Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've always been interested in Shenmue phase, but never played one. I've got all three on Steam though, so maybe I'll dive in sooner rather than later.

I finished up the narrative in RDR2. So much to love in the game with some pretty significant problems. It'll take me a while to formulate my thoughts. On the whole, I certainly loved it, but there were elements that were just kind of a mess imho. I'll still go back and do some side stuff, and I totally love the world enough to give it more of my time.

I'm also playing a visual novel called Pale Cachexia which is a tale of a girl seeking the home of an apothecary in the forest who may have a cure for her condition - The Pale, a condition that causes a wasting away, a depletion of energy until death. It's got wonderful atmosphere, writing and characters, and I'm really digging the vibe.

And, I'm in my fourth character in Unreal World. I can't express just how absorbing that game is for me. Such an incredible roguelike survival game. I could see myself playing this on an ongoing basis for years.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:36 pmI've always been interested in Shenmue phase, but never played one. I've got all three on Steam though, so maybe I'll dive in sooner rather than later.
Shenmue was a revolutionary game back when it came out in 2000, but of course it’s showing its age now 22 years later. It’s primarily a story driven third person adventure game with a lot of interacting with NPCs, there’s some Virtua Fighter style combat and QTEs as well. The Yakuza series is the spiritual successor to it, there’s a lot of similarities between the two.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:36 pmI finished up the narrative in RDR2. So much to love in the game with some pretty significant problems. It'll take me a while to formulate my thoughts. On the whole, I certainly loved it, but there were elements that were just kind of a mess imho.
Now you can read my impressions of it without worrying about spoilers. I’m curious what you agree, and disagree with.

https://www.ps2backlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

All I know about Shenmue is there's a forklift minigame and some homoerotic sailor stuff. :P

I spent a few days with my brother and some friends last week in Ohio and Pennsylvania with a stop in jfissel country (assuming you still live in Athens). I was looking for Swearingen or a Terminator but saw neither.

Played recently: Elden Ring

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 20 (19 PS4, 1 Vita - I reduced by backlog by giving away my Switch. ;) )

Didn't play much last week but still having a great time with Elden Ring.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:45 amAll I know about Shenmue is there's a forklift minigame and some homoerotic sailor stuff. :P
So your knowledge of it is based on its memes? Its memes exist for a reason, because it’s unintentionally funny a lot of the time. The dialogue and voice acting is hilariously bad, but the story itself is decent. I think that anyone who likes the Yakuza series should check it out, because it’s kind of the predecessor to that series.

P.S. American Fugitive is currently on sale for $3.99.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:18 pm Now you can read my impressions of it without worrying about spoilers. I’m curious what you agree, and disagree with.

https://www.ps2backlog.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58
I have similar opinions to a lot of what you guys wrote. I'm still digesting things though. I'll probably wait to share until my year end reviews - gods willing. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Gran Turismo 7

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

canedaddy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:45 am I spent a few days with my brother and some friends last week in Ohio and Pennsylvania with a stop in jfissel country (assuming you still live in Athens). I was looking for Swearingen or a Terminator but saw neither.
I do not, I'm in Columbus. Athens was where I went to school (a while ago, I'm old).
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6

Beat: Like two dozen stories in Soul Calibur 6

Done with...kinda...not really: Platinum in Tekken 7 fam :D !!!...but I also found that online play is garbage. Now I get what the fighting game community is on about. It is awful playing with a bad connection. I hadn't really engaged with it before. However, I will jump in for a few rounds of Tekken 7 going forward offline. It's my jam, fam :)

Very close to wrapping up the story mode in Soul Calibur 6. Then I will do the Libra of Souls mode. But probably not immediately. I want to play through Dissidia, MK11 Ultimate, P4 Arena The Ultimate Ultra Suplex Hold :lol: , DB Fighterz and I might grab Samurai Showdown as well. I am trying out the SFV trial and I am not feeling it. Might wait for the whole shebang to be $20 or less. I like that they made fighting games a bit easy for an older man and leaned into story modes. The stories are trash whatever but they are a great framing device to dabble with the mechanics.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:09 pm I do not, I'm in Columbus. Athens was where I went to school (a while ago, I'm old).
No wonder I didn't see you. :lol: Well Athens was enjoyable. I heart Jackie O's.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:02 am
jfissel wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:09 pm I do not, I'm in Columbus. Athens was where I went to school (a while ago, I'm old).
No wonder I didn't see you. :lol: Well Athens was enjoyable. I heart Jackie O's.
That wasn't even there when I was! But yes, they make great beer. Glad you enjoyed your stay - I really need to head on back this Summer to visit.