Terra Nil
Total Tank Generals
Troublemaker: Raise Your Gang
Way to the Woods
Xiaomei and the Flame Dragon’s Fist
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 273: 3/25/23: MLB The Show 23 Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Any further word on when you get to go home, Phase?

Played recently: Nobody Saves the World

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Dead Cells

Current backlog: 29

I played a lot of NSTW over the weekend. Very fun game with a lot of charm. I've been doing some grinding to unlock and level up the various forms. Most of them play very differently in comical ways, so that's not a drag at all.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Like a Dragon: Ishin

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

Forgot to check on my time or % complete for Ishin, but I'm close to finishing up all the side stuff possible in chapter 4. Been growing a lot of produce on the farm as well as fishing to get ingredients for the cooking minigame. Ready to get back to the story, lol.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've been playing Kind Words and went back a long ways to play Crystalis on the NES.

Kind Words is really kind of addictive. Such a nice vibe with an excellent community, at least in terms of thoughtfulness. It really makes you feel for the level of struggle some people are going through, and others are just, well, soft. :P But they're still deserving of empathy too...for how *soft* they are. :P (I don't tell them that.)

I'm also really enjoying Crystalis. Very fun action rpg in the vein of Zelda that leans a bit heavier on the tradtional rpg elements than Zelda. Really glad I'm finally getting around to it. Mildy lttp. :P

I also still plan to got back to Chronicon and dive into those depths a bit more.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Octopath Traveler II (Switch), Souldiers (Switch), The Wild At Heart (PS4) - all of those were from a Play-Asia order that came in the mail Sat. Also grabbed 3 digital games for the Switch super cheap in a sale they were running - The Princess Guide, The Lost Child, & Wallachia: Reign of Dracula

Last week: Finished Super Mario Odyssey (main story - still playing around with it getting extras), played Peggle 2, Diablo IV Beta, Callisto Protocol

This week: Haven't decided what the next game I'm going to start is yet.

I was very wary of what Blizzard was going to do with Diablo IV, but I have to say after playing the Beta I am definitely on board. Tam & I had a blast with it - you do run across other people in the world but they can't really interfere with you so it's not that big of a deal, and any dungeons you enter are instances (so only you & the people you're grouped with are there). I didn't mind the style of D3, but the return to the uber dark gothic fantasy style of past Diablos is also very nice. And the massive, extremely customizable skill trees are a very welcome change from the strict set ways you upgraded as you leveled in D3 (my only real complaint with that game). Very excited for this one now.

The danger of these devs that break away from their publishers & make "spiritual successors" to their big franchises is that if not done correctly they can feel like knock-offs of their previous work. That's *exactly* how Callisto Protocol feels - like a poor man's Dead Space. They should have done something different - another survival horror game, sure, that's fine, but not another one set in space. And the similarities don't stop there, the general look of the game is very reminiscent of DS (including elements like your life bar which sits horizontal across the back of your neck but still resembles the spine health bar of DS) and other elements such as stomping corpses are carried over as well. The few changes they did make all seem to be for the worse - combat is clunky with an odd dodge mechanic that seems to work intermittently at best, and audio logs that you find scattered around require you to dig into your menus about 3 layers deep just to listen to them, and then you have to sit there staring at a floating picture while they play - if you back out of the menu, they stop. It all adds up to a game that makes you wish you were playing Dead Space instead. I'm not that far in, but I'm done with it - very, very disappointing.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

That sucks about CP argyle, but I know the overall reception wasn't great. When I heard they were selling death animations as extras I was like:

I'll still probably pick it up super cheap one day just to discover for myself what most everyone else already knows though. I can't help it. As much as I love cosmic/space horror and the original DS trilogy (yes, even 3), I am still curious enough to spend a pittance to see what it's all about. Who knows, maybe I'd get lucky and enjoy it without the expectations that led up to its release.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:58 am I was very wary of what Blizzard was going to do with Diablo IV, but I have to say after playing the Beta I am definitely on board. Tam & I had a blast with it - you do run across other people in the world but they can't really interfere with you so it's not that big of a deal, and any dungeons you enter are instances (so only you & the people you're grouped with are there). I didn't mind the style of D3, but the return to the uber dark gothic fantasy style of past Diablos is also very nice. And the massive, extremely customizable skill trees are a very welcome change from the strict set ways you upgraded as you leveled in D3 (my only real complaint with that game). Very excited for this one now.
After the issues I ran into with the Diablo 2 remake, I'm going to wait until it's cheap. Glad you're enjoying it though.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:42 amAny further word on when you get to go home, Phase?
Tomorrow.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m home.
argyle

Post by argyle »

jeremy celebrate.gif
jeremy celebrate.gif (2.88 MiB) Viewed 9679 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis