The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

argyle

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:15 pm
argyle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:46 am Nice, glad you're enjoying it so far Izzy. :)

I haven't started mine yet, but then again I haven't really played anything this week. I did plug my PS4 controllers up to charge last night (was reminded recently that you can use PS4 controllers on the PS5 when playing PS4 games - and I loathe the PS5 controller) so I should be good to go whenever I get some game time next.
Yeah, hopefully everyone ends up happy with the group's selection. I'd definitely do it again. It's just fun not knowing what you're going to play out of a selection of games you've been looking forward to for a long while. If nobody else wants to do it again, maybe I'll just use a randomizer, lol. But it's more fun as a community activity imho.
I really like it as well, and I'd also like to do it again. I've even been thinking of possible themes, such as "game you'd like to replay" or " game you've started but never finished".
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by jfissel »

Alright, here are 5 options for my next game:

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy (3DS) - the last Layton game I own and 2nd to last 3DS game I have to play before I can put it away, lol
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4) - really enjoyed the first one, but I think this one's a little different gameplay-wise
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4) - never played these on DS
Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - no explanation needed
Stardew Valley (PS4) - how many hours am I gonna sink into this?

So there you go, 5 pretty different choices. Also keep in mind that I would like to play Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth on Jan 26...but I suppose I can start that while hopefully finishing one of these selections.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Alright, let's rank j's picks!

Spider Man 2. It's Spider Man 2. You should just be playing it :P .

Stardew Valley. Selfish choice, I keep thinking I might co op this with the kiddo and would like your thoughts.

Layton or Phoenix are a toss up. I know you love your Layton but I will give the nod to Phoenix Wright. I enjoyed the bits I played and think you will too.

Layton. Known quantity for you so it'll obviously be something you'd dig.

Ni No Kuni 2. I spent 70 plus hours on that game. Most of it was waiting for timers to fill with the kingdom building mechanics. Honestly, you would think mashing up Dark Cloud 2 and Ni No Kuni in one game would rock but it's just bland. Aside from that bug**** insane opening they don't wrap back around to until out of nowhere in the final dungeon for no reason. I almost want to say pass entirely but you might dig some parts of it.

So Sakuna won! I don't like it! The combat is ok but this farming rice thing is serious business. I will keep trying a bit more but I might have to go with the runner up, Chained Echoes.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Jfissel
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
3. Stardew Valley
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
5. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy
argyle

Post by argyle »

Watched the game awards tonight instead of starting my game. Zelda got shafted, Baldur's Gate 3 walked away with almost everything. That game just doesn't appeal to me no matter how much I want it to - part of it is that historically, I've never been much for what's referred to as PC RPGs. The other thing is the game, to me, is just fugly from an art direction standpoint. Nothing about the visual design appeals to me in the slightest. Oh well, everything can't be for everyone.

J's List:

1) Spider-Man 2 - you'll love it, and you'll have no problem at all 100%'ing it by the time Infinite Wealth drops

I really don't have a big opinion on any of the others, so I'll just copy Crim's order for the rest. Spidy's gonna end up winning for you anyway. :P

EDIT: OH! I almost forgot! The only really important thing from the game awards, Sega's making a new Jet Set Radio!!!!!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I'll wait for the others, but yeah it's probably over already lol. I can still rank all these as they may be the next 5 I play anyway. Also, I still have a few PS3 games to go through, but that console isn't hooked up...may have to clear those out in 2024 just because.
crimson_tide wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:39 pm Ni No Kuni 2. I spent 70 plus hours on that game. Most of it was waiting for timers to fill with the kingdom building mechanics. Honestly, you would think mashing up Dark Cloud 2 and Ni No Kuni in one game would rock but it's just bland. Aside from that bug**** insane opening they don't wrap back around to until out of nowhere in the final dungeon for no reason. I almost want to say pass entirely but you might dig some parts of it.
I think I remember this game being divisive and love it/hate it. But I already own it so it's getting played at some point!

EDIT: Actually, God of War: Ragnarok free DLC announced for next tues so I may as well check that out first.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Let's see here, j. My picks:

1. Stardew Valley (PS4) - I really enjoyed this one and suspect it will scratch your itch.
2. Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - It's the big kahuna on the list.
3. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4) - This is mostly for selfish reasons. Everyone seems super divided on it, and I'd love your take. I loved the first one and everything else from Level 5.
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4) - You'll probably dig this. I only played the first one but it was entertaining (if not exactly dynamic in the gameplay department).
5. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy (3DS) - Save your last Layton game for a time when you're really in the mood for it.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:46 am I really like it as well, and I'd also like to do it again. I've even been thinking of possible themes, such as "game you'd like to replay" or " game you've started but never finished".
Yeah, that sounds like a fun tweak. I was also thinking of putting my entire backlog into a randomizer to pull 10 entries and then letting everyone vote on those. Although, it'd likely pull some crazy obscure stuff, and no one would want to vote. :P (or would just ignore the unknowns. :( )

How about only games starting with the letter Q. :P
jfissel wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:56 pm Alright, here are 5 options for my next game:

Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy (3DS) - the last Layton game I own and 2nd to last 3DS game I have to play before I can put it away, lol
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4) - really enjoyed the first one, but I think this one's a little different gameplay-wise
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4) - never played these on DS
Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - no explanation needed
Stardew Valley (PS4) - how many hours am I gonna sink into this?

So there you go, 5 pretty different choices. Also keep in mind that I would like to play Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth on Jan 26...but I suppose I can start that while hopefully finishing one of these selections.
Ok j, here's what I got for you:

1) Spidey 2 - since it seems like my vote won't matter anyway. (this is why I wanted to keep everything hidden via PMs so that people wouldn't be swayed by others votes.)

2) Stardew Valley - I think the gaming community at large has spoken on this one, although I know it can be quite a time sink, so maybe better to save it for later.

3) Layton - I know you love that series, and it would be nice to close out your journey with that console.

4) Ni no Kuni II - I have both in my backlog and have been looking forward to eventually getting to them, but not everything can be in the #1 slot, ha.

5) Phoenix Wright - did not like the only entry I played (the first on DS) at all. In fact I put it down well before finishing. Not for me.

Put on those tights! :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I really like argyle's ideas for future game clubs! I don't know what I would put on a replay list. Midnight Suns or Miles Morales so I can platinum it? Kingdom Hearts 3? Who knows...

So Sakuna. It's going to the back burner soon I think. It feels like a Vanillaware game, fast and your character is powerful. But that's not the whole game, it's like 30% so far. The bulk of the game is really rice farming. They went in, fam. HARD. Your leveling in combat is based on how well you do rice farming. And it's not plant, water, wait, done. It's tilling soil to the perfect point, meticulously planting seeds in Goldilocks positions with no guidance but your gut and willingness to plant the seeds very carefully, getting the water to the right height (ankle deep) and more. There's a day night cycle and hidden hunger meter that stops you from healing in combat and requires you to go back home. Then you have dinner with the people on your farm. None of this is bad. It's just not something I am super invested in doing and given the limited game time, it may have to become a summer jam.

I tried Chained Echoes which was my number 2. It's fine. It's a turn based JRPG. I haven't gotten too far in but hopefully it picks up and scratches the itch. Like a Dragon Gaiden The Man Who Erased His Name is proving to be a tough act to follow though. If Chained Echoes doesn't do it, I have 8 more to go. I think Capt Tsubasa or XCOM was next on the list.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Sakuna sounds really fun to me crim, and you're supposed to play what was chosen for you...****NOT**** just dabble in it. :P

I'm absolutely loving Kuon. I'll have more to say about it in my year end reviews, so I won't really go into it more here since those are just around the corner. But I will say that anyone who enjoys the genre or more specifically the genre from that era ought to play it however they can. I guess I'm only referring to argyle and phase for the most part, but it's a really well made game that is familiar to the formula while feeling very unique at the same time. I wish FROM would explore this genre further down the road. I know Soulsbornekiroring or whatever :P has their own horror elements and I love them, but I'd like to see FROM dedicate part of their resources to some more pure survival horror games, if only lower-budget and smaller teams.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!