• 17 games completed
  • 6 3DS
  • 6 PSN (including a few DLCs in here)
  • 5 PS5
  • Something completed in every month except October
  • Most games completed in the last 10 individual years :o
Rankings:

17 - Mario Kart 7
Something has to be last on the list, but everything here is good+. It's Mario Kart...a few new additions to tracks and characters makes for an enjoyable time. You know what you're getting with this one.

16 - New Super Mario Bros 2
The controls take some getting used to (Mario likes to slide a tad after landing, making precision tough to obtain). Solid game.

15 - Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
The conclusion to the Nonary Games trilogy. These games get so wacky with their reveals, twists, and multiple paths/endings. They've always been like that, but I feel like the first game (999) had more impact than the 2 sequels.

14 - A Short Hike
Fun, short, and easy PSN game. You play as a bird who has a goal of getting to the top of the mountain on an island. You'll get distracted along the way by tasks and friends, but it was enjoyable enough.

13 - PowerWash Simulator - SpongeBob DLC
I have never watched an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, but I know what it is for the most part. This paid DLC has one of the coolest levels in the entire game - the invisible boat! Try cleaning that 100%!

12 - Code Name: STEAM
My runner-up for "Surprise of the Year", this is a turn-based strategy game with a bunch of characters you know from history and fiction where you fight aliens on Earth. A few tough levels in there for sure, but a great time.

11 - Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Been a while since I played any Zelda game, and I never played A Link to the Past. This utilizes a very similar map, and thought it was a nice return to a more classic Zelda experience.

10 - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
I love me some Layton games - have played them all except for the very final one which is still in my backlog. This one had a cool story about uncovering the truth about an ancient civilization.

9 - PowerWash Simulator - Back to the Future DLC
What this has over the SpongeBob DLC is more recognizable levels/objects AND some awesome easter eggs if you either stick around after level completion or go to certain spots in the levels.

8 - Tchia
An open-world adventure game set in the Southwest Pacific, you can do all sorts of things on your quest to stop the evil person who kidnapped your father. There is something for everyone in this game, and it shines a nice light on the culture of New Caledonia.

7 - Like a Dragon: Ishin
Yakuza set in 1860s Japan. It is an interesting time period for sure, but ultimately this game is a lot of fan service as basically every Yakuza character makes an appearance as someone else from that era. Worth it for Yakuza fans.

6 - Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster
One of my favorite games of all-time, I don't need to say any more. I played through this 3 times already (once with a friend who had never experienced FF1).

5 - Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
This was supposed to be a shorter Yakuza game to bridge the gap between Like a Dragon 7 and Infinite Wealth...and it is, but it's also a heck of a ride. You are back to playing as Kiryu while showing a bit of the other side of the events in 7. The story and ending has serious dramatic moments that will make everyone tear up.

4 - PowerWash Simulator
My "Surprise of the Year" game! I saw ads for this early on and wondered WTF it was. Why on Earth would people want to powerwash things virtually? It makes zero sense. But then I decided to buy it for 2 reasons - it seemed well made and the videos I watched had this calming effect. And for someone who enjoys methodically tackling big tasks, this was the game for me! Vehicles, houses, parks, ancient statues, carnival rides, etc...everything must be clean! According to my year-end PS review, this is the game I played the most with over 100 hours. I have played all the DLC and they are continuing to add more (both free and paid). Highly recommend this game - it was even free on PS+ last month so I hoped everyone grabbed it!

3 - Horizon: Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC
I think Horizon: Forbidden West was my GOTY last year, and this DLC is meaty and is PS5-only for a few technical reasons. Los Angeles is fun to explore and there are a couple of new machines in the mix. Part 3 can't come soon enough!

2 - Marvel's Spider-Man 2
This one is fresh in my mind, but I think this is the correct spot. It's a very close call. Awesome story, great enemies and boss fights, plenty of things to do around the city with some of Brooklyn and Queens added to the map. The use of the PS5 controller's adaptive triggers as well as the speaker made for an immersive and unforgettable experience.

1 - God of War: Ragnarok
This was the first game I completed in 2023, though technically I played it for a month and a half at the end of 2022 before the year changed and the credits rolled. So much snow and ice in this game :lol: , but I thought it had everything I want from a video game - fantastic story, great characters, awesome gameplay, a beautiful world to explore...everything was amazing.
argyle

Re: J's 2023 Gaming Year In Review

Post by argyle »

Very nice list! Tchia recently popped up on my radar due to some channels I follow talking it up in their year-end wrap ups. It's getting a physical release very soon (next week?) so I'll definitely pick it up sooner or later & give it a go.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:44 pm Overall stats:
  • 17 games completed
  • 6 3DS
  • 6 PSN (including a few DLCs in here)
  • 5 PS5
  • Something completed in every month except October
  • Most games completed in the last 10 individual years :o
Rankings:

17 - Mario Kart 7
Something has to be last on the list, but everything here is good+. It's Mario Kart...a few new additions to tracks and characters makes for an enjoyable time. You know what you're getting with this one.

16 - New Super Mario Bros 2
The controls take some getting used to (Mario likes to slide a tad after landing, making precision tough to obtain). Solid game.

15 - Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
The conclusion to the Nonary Games trilogy. These games get so wacky with their reveals, twists, and multiple paths/endings. They've always been like that, but I feel like the first game (999) had more impact than the 2 sequels.

14 - A Short Hike
Fun, short, and easy PSN game. You play as a bird who has a goal of getting to the top of the mountain on an island. You'll get distracted along the way by tasks and friends, but it was enjoyable enough.

13 - PowerWash Simulator - SpongeBob DLC
I have never watched an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, but I know what it is for the most part. This paid DLC has one of the coolest levels in the entire game - the invisible boat! Try cleaning that 100%!

12 - Code Name: STEAM
My runner-up for "Surprise of the Year", this is a turn-based strategy game with a bunch of characters you know from history and fiction where you fight aliens on Earth. A few tough levels in there for sure, but a great time.

11 - Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Been a while since I played any Zelda game, and I never played A Link to the Past. This utilizes a very similar map, and thought it was a nice return to a more classic Zelda experience.

10 - Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
I love me some Layton games - have played them all except for the very final one which is still in my backlog. This one had a cool story about uncovering the truth about an ancient civilization.

9 - PowerWash Simulator - Back to the Future DLC
What this has over the SpongeBob DLC is more recognizable levels/objects AND some awesome easter eggs if you either stick around after level completion or go to certain spots in the levels.

8 - Tchia
An open-world adventure game set in the Southwest Pacific, you can do all sorts of things on your quest to stop the evil person who kidnapped your father. There is something for everyone in this game, and it shines a nice light on the culture of New Caledonia.

7 - Like a Dragon: Ishin
Yakuza set in 1860s Japan. It is an interesting time period for sure, but ultimately this game is a lot of fan service as basically every Yakuza character makes an appearance as someone else from that era. Worth it for Yakuza fans.

6 - Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster
One of my favorite games of all-time, I don't need to say any more. I played through this 3 times already (once with a friend who had never experienced FF1).

5 - Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
This was supposed to be a shorter Yakuza game to bridge the gap between Like a Dragon 7 and Infinite Wealth...and it is, but it's also a heck of a ride. You are back to playing as Kiryu while showing a bit of the other side of the events in 7. The story and ending has serious dramatic moments that will make everyone tear up.

4 - PowerWash Simulator
My "Surprise of the Year" game! I saw ads for this early on and wondered WTF it was. Why on Earth would people want to powerwash things virtually? It makes zero sense. But then I decided to buy it for 2 reasons - it seemed well made and the videos I watched had this calming effect. And for someone who enjoys methodically tackling big tasks, this was the game for me! Vehicles, houses, parks, ancient statues, carnival rides, etc...everything must be clean! According to my year-end PS review, this is the game I played the most with over 100 hours. I have played all the DLC and they are continuing to add more (both free and paid). Highly recommend this game - it was even free on PS+ last month so I hoped everyone grabbed it!

3 - Horizon: Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC
I think Horizon: Forbidden West was my GOTY last year, and this DLC is meaty and is PS5-only for a few technical reasons. Los Angeles is fun to explore and there are a couple of new machines in the mix. Part 3 can't come soon enough!

2 - Marvel's Spider-Man 2
This one is fresh in my mind, but I think this is the correct spot. It's a very close call. Awesome story, great enemies and boss fights, plenty of things to do around the city with some of Brooklyn and Queens added to the map. The use of the PS5 controller's adaptive triggers as well as the speaker made for an immersive and unforgettable experience.

1 - God of War: Ragnarok
This was the first game I completed in 2023, though technically I played it for a month and a half at the end of 2022 before the year changed and the credits rolled. So much snow and ice in this game :lol: , but I thought it had everything I want from a video game - fantastic story, great characters, awesome gameplay, a beautiful world to explore...everything was amazing.
How could a game called Code Name : STEAM not be on Steam?!? Something is amiss. :P

I've always been interested in the Nonary games. I briefly started 999 a year or so ago, but got sidetracked and started something else. I only played a few minutes, but it seemed really interesting, and I know those games are well-loved. I'll have to get to it.

I only played the first Layton, and thought the presentation was very cool, and I enjoyed it but it didn't spur me on to play more of the series. But I'm certainly interested enough to revisit the franchise.

Tchia was already on my Steam wish list in anticipation of its release. I'm sure I'll pick it up sooner or later. On the surface, it really reminds me of what I'm playing now in Windbound.

I know how well-received Power Wash Simulator has been. I'll have to take everyone's word for it. I'm not sure it's for me, but it seems to be satisfying in an odd way for those who play it. Maybe I'll get it in a bundle one day. (And I would have never watched Spongebob were it not for being a parent of a young child at the height of its popularity, but it's actually pretty funny, surprisingly enough to me, it was to find out.)

All you guys playing Yakuza endlessly just reminds me how far behind I am and that I will never catch up, ha. But I really enjoy what I've experienced so far.

New Kratos - I just can't. I enjoyed the reboot for what it was, but the Dad of War character aggravates me on a cellular level. I'll probably never play Ragnarok until it reaches a sub $10 price point on Steam, if ever. I appreciate the production values and it's decent fun, but I miss rageaholic Kratos that doesn't want or need any form of redemption.

How does Spidey 2 compare to the other 2 Insomniac entries for you? I loved the first, but haven't gotten around to the others.

Fun reviews j. It seems like you had a good year of gaming! Thanks for sharing. :)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

argyle wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:28 am Very nice list! Tchia recently popped up on my radar due to some channels I follow talking it up in their year-end wrap ups. It's getting a physical release very soon (next week?) so I'll definitely pick it up sooner or later & give it a go.
It's not perfect and has it's certain issues, but it was fun and the positives were plentiful for me.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:34 am How does Spidey 2 compare to the other 2 Insomniac entries for you? I loved the first, but haven't gotten around to the others.
They have all been fantastic - this one has 2 heroes that you can switch between (and certain sidequests and story quests are only playable by specific heroes). I thought it worked well, having played as each of them in their own game previously. If you loved the first, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the other 2...unless you end up not liking Miles.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Great list!

I've played too few games to even bother with rankings, but we have the same GOTY. So good. (My runner-up: Octopath Traveler II)

I'll buy Tchia one of these days, assuming it doesn't come to PS+.

Speaking of which, you just reminded me I now have access to Powerwash Simulator. Gotta give that a try at some point.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:48 pm They have all been fantastic - this one has 2 heroes that you can switch between (and certain sidequests and story quests are only playable by specific heroes). I thought it worked well, having played as each of them in their own game previously. If you loved the first, I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the other 2...unless you end up not liking Miles.
Good to hear. When I was a kid, I only knew Peter Parker as Spider-Man, and so in a way, it's who I'll always associate with the character. I didn't ever follow the narrative that closely, so I don't know if there have been multiple Spideys / Spider-verses all along or not. But as long as the game is fun, that's the main thing for me.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Cool list j! I will take another look at A Short Hike. A lot of Power Wash Simulator, looks like you really enjoyed your timw with that one :lol:. I need to get the Zero Escape games soon too. Just waiting for that PS5 Pro to drop so I can finally get at Spidey 2, ranked really high for you. It bested both Like A Dragon outings :P !
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Nice list of games, I’m interested in Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name, Spider-Man 2 and Tchia. I’ll check out PowerWash Simulator when it’s cheap. It’s too bad that the Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores expansion is only for PS5, because I want to play it. I have the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West, and I plan on playing it this year along with God of War: Ragnarok which I also have.