The Thaumaturge
Top Racer Collection
Unicorn Overlord
Winter Survival
WWE 2K24
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 322: 3/2/24: Unicorn Overlord/WWE 2K24 Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Anuchard & Wildcat Gun Machine (both super cheap sale priced Switch e-shop games) and Temtem

Last week: Finished nothing, played mostly Grindstone and Kaze, plus some of the Unicorn Overlord demo

This week: same, plus going to try to get some more time into TMWEHN

Last week was a bad week for me. When the temp keeps going up & down it triggers my migraines, and this is the time of year for that. Was pretty bad all week, so when I did play something I didn't feel like playing anything very involved. Kaze is the new one I started, it's a 2D platformer heavily inspired by the Donkey Kong Country games. It's good so far. After talking about Grindstone in my year-end wrap-up it made me want to play it again, and I got re-hooked. And I played a little of the UO demo (which is the beginning of the game, and from my understanding your save will carry over to the full game) and it's fantastic. It's VanillaWare, so I knew it would be. Hopefully Gamestop ships my copy so that it will arrive on Friday, but we'll see...
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 am Last week was a bad week for me. When the temp keeps going up & down it triggers my migraines, and this is the time of year for that.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get some relief.

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 am I played a little of the UO demo (which is the beginning of the game, and from my understanding your save will carry over to the full game) and it's fantastic. It's VanillaWare, so I knew it would be. Hopefully Gamestop ships my copy so that it will arrive on Friday, but we'll see...
Whoa... is this the first I've heard of this game, or is this a CTE moment? A VanillaWare SRPG??? And it's out in three days? On PS4??? I might have to jump on that. There's a physical version???

Played recently: McPixel 3, Warhammer: Chaosbane

Finished: McPixel 3

Added to backlog: Sea of Stars, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2

Current backlog: 34

I got the platinum on McPixel 3, which was a hoot. Perfect game for when you're in a gaming funk.

I played a little Chaosbane over the weekend. It seems like a good Diablo clone, but I don't think I'll go back to it unless it's in co-op with my brother or daughter. That greatly elevates the appeal of such games.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 amKaze is the new one I started, it's a 2D platformer heavily inspired by the Donkey Kong Country games. It's good so far.
I have this, and I plan on playing it eventually along with my other 1000 PS4 games. :P
canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:21 am
argyle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 amI played a little of the UO demo (which is the beginning of the game, and from my understanding your save will carry over to the full game) and it's fantastic. It's VanillaWare, so I knew it would be. Hopefully Gamestop ships my copy so that it will arrive on Friday, but we'll see...
Whoa... is this the first I've heard of this game, or is this a CTE moment? A VanillaWare SRPG??? And it's out in three days? On PS4??? I might have to jump on that. There's a physical version???
There’s a physical version for PS5, Xbox Series X and Switch, but not for PS4. :(
Last edited by Phaseknox on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Been playing a bunch of random stuff that probably no one has heard of, lol. I'll mention what I just finished up though, even though no one will probably ever play it.

There was an indie game called Babbdi that caught my eye and it was free, and so I figured I'd go ahead and play it. You are in this vacated city/region and are trying to get out but you need a train ticket - that's the only way to leave. So you explore this open world and try to get that elusive pass out of there. It's not so easy to find in this (initially appearing) massive world. So you search around, find secrets, talk to the few remaining stragglers that haven't or don't want to leave until you can finally escape this dying place. I enjoyed it. It took me about three hours to gain my freedom, and the exploring and atmosphere was really well done, if a bit stylized and abstract. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a minimally guided sense of exploration with a goal that drives you forward to your destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRZA7HFagk

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:59 pmBeen playing a bunch of random stuff that probably no one has heard of, lol. I'll mention what I just finished up though, even though no one will probably ever play it.

There was an indie game called Babbdi that caught my eye and it was free, and so I figured I'd go ahead and play it. You are in this vacated city/region and are trying to get out but you need a train ticket - that's the only way to leave. So you explore this open world and try to get that elusive pass out of there. It's not so easy to find in this (initially appearing) massive world. So you search around, find secrets, talk to the few remaining stragglers that haven't or don't want to leave until you can finally escape this dying place. I enjoyed it. It took me about three hours to gain my freedom, and the exploring and atmosphere was really well done, if a bit stylized and abstract. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a minimally guided sense of exploration with a goal that drives you forward to your destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRZA7HFagk
Why can we no longer post YouTube videos here? :?: Anyway that looks somewhat interesting, but perhaps a little too abstract for my liking. I don’t like the look of the characters. As for me, I played a Soulslike game that you might like called Dolmen. It’s basically Dark Souls with a sci-fi horror skin. I was liking it because the graphics, level designs and gameplay are good, but since it’s a Soulslike it’s a lot more challenging than I would like and of course there’s no difficulty options. I’m too old and have too many games to play to spend with a game like this that sends you really far back and resets everything each and every time that you die. The only way that I could get through a game like this is if it had a save anytime anywhere option.

I’m currently playing a 2.5D side scrolling adventure platformer with active turn-based combat called Indivisible, and I’ve been digging it. The art and animation are really good, the levels are well designed and the combat and platforming are fun. It’s a colorful anime inspired game with somewhat silly characters, and that’s what I’m in the mood for right now since I’ve been feeling a bit down lately.

Last edited by Phaseknox on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:31 pm Why can we no longer post YouTube videos here? :?: Anyway that looks somewhat interesting, but perhaps a little too abstract for my liking. I don’t like the look of the characters. As for me, I played a Soulslike game that you might like called Dolmen. It’s basically Dark Souls with a sci-fi horror skin. I was liking it because the graphics, level designs and gameplay are good, but since it’s a Soulslike it’s a lot more challenging than I would like and of course there’s no difficulty options. I’m too old and have too many games to play to spend with a game like this that sends you really far back and resets everything each and every time that you die. The only way that I could get through a game like this is if it had a save anytime anywhere option.

I’m currently playing a 2.5D side scrolling adventure platformer with active turn-based combat called Indivisible, and I’ve been digging it. The art and animation are really good, the levels are well designed and the combat and platforming are fun. It’s a colorful anime inspired game with somewhat silly characters, and that’s what I’m in the mood for right now since I’ve been feeling a bit down lately.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoGLI8dP ... xlcg%3D%3D
Yeah, I mentioned the YT issue to argyle and he said he was going to tell DG about it.

Thanks for the referral to Dolmen. I already had it on my steam wishlist, but I appreciate any interesting game recommends. It's got an exactly 50% reception on Steam, so I guess it's a coin toss, lol.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Windbound, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

109 hours into Infinite Wealth, completed the Sujimon League side stuff and trophies. Barreling towards the end of the story, no idea how this will end as I've been lucky to avoid spoilers so far. Hope to finish up this week.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Hope things turn around with your mood, Phase! If indivisible is the game I am thinking of, It's not the Valkyrie Profile replacement I desperately wanted it to be :cry: ... good thing Valkyrie Profile is now on PS4 :D !!!

Played: Like A Dragon: Dondoko Island

Beat: Nothing

Bought: I think I grabbed the Disney Afternoon Collection and that pinball search action game...Yoko's Island Express? Because my steam deck should be back tomorrow! I will continue to just play Vampire Survivors on it because I am basic :) .

Dondoko Island is going to be a separate entry on my GOTY list. It is its own thing. I love it. Four stars closing in on five with the end of the story in sight! Then I'll get back to the gang :D !
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:48 am Because my steam deck should be back tomorrow!
I had meant to ask you about that. I was stressed on your behalf, lol. Hopefully they tuned it up right for you and you'll not have any future mishaps.