The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ronin

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ronin

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Scars Above

Finished: Nothing

Playing: ?

Added: Nothing

Games releasing this week
Alone in the Dark
Bears in Space
Call of Duty: Warzone
Dragon’s Dogma II
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure
HappyFunland
Hi-Fi Rush
Kingdoms and Castles
Krimson
The Legend of Legacy HD Remaster
Lightyear Frontier
Master Maker 3D Ultimate
MLB The Show 24
Old School RuneScape - Varlamore Area Expansion
Pesticide Not Required
Princess Peach: Showtime!
Raw Metal
Rise of the Ronin
Shines Over: The Damned
TerraTech Worlds
Tram Simulator Urban Transit
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ro

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing

Last week: Finished Gris, played Vampire Survivors, Unicorn Overlord, Lies of P

This week: Definitely more Unicorn Overlord, and I'm getting Dragon's Dogma on Friday. Gonna play some more Lies of P in the meantime, we'll see if I stick with it for the long haul or not.

Unicorn Overlord continues to be an amazing strategy RPG. Highly recommended.

Tam grabbed Lies of P off of Gamepass & was playing it a little. She got stuck at an early tough guy and says "I want to see if you can beat him" so I downloaded it. Made it past that guy, made it past the first boss. It feels like a mix of Bloodborne and Bioshock. Tough, but not as tough as Bloodborne so far (or maybe I've gotten better at these from playing so much Elden Ring?). Very, very pretty good - has an awesome Victorian steampunk aesthetic. I'm digging it right now, but I'm really looking forward to Dragon's Dogma 2 so I don't know that I'm going to stick with it right now or not.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot to talk about Gris! I downloaded this on a whim last week looking for something fairly breezy. Man, is this an amazing game! Have any of you played this? I'd describe it as a 2D Journey. It's very chill, and very, very beautiful - both the jaw-dropping hand drawn graphics and the music. It's not a very long game, so you can easily squeeze it in between other games you're playing. However it does have some hidden things to find if you want a reason to go back - tho honestly I feel like I'll end up playing it again down the road just to experience it again. Such a great game, everyone should give this one a shot.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 324: 3/16/24: Alone in the Dark/Dragon’s Dogma II/Princess Peach: Showtime!/Rise of the Ro

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 am Oh! I forgot to talk about Gris! I downloaded this on a whim last week looking for something fairly breezy. Man, is this an amazing game! Have any of you played this? I'd describe it as a 2D Journey. It's very chill, and very, very beautiful - both the jaw-dropping hand drawn graphics and the music. It's not a very long game, so you can easily squeeze it in between other games you're playing. However it does have some hidden things to find if you want a reason to go back - tho honestly I feel like I'll end up playing it again down the road just to experience it again. Such a great game, everyone should give this one a shot.
I've seen that on the PSN store a hundred times but never looked into it. Will grab it the next time it's on sale.

Played recently: Sea of Stars

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34

Sea of Stars keeps getting better and better. It reminds me of the Mario & Luigi games. Highly recommended if you like those. I said the last time that I thought I was halfway through it, but that apparently was incorrect. There's a lot more to it than I thought.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've got Gris in my backlog and always thought it looked interesting. Glad there's another treasure lying in that vault! :P
canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 am Sea of Stars keeps getting better and better. It reminds me of the Mario & Luigi games. Highly recommended if you like those.

What a succinct and easy sale, lol!

I started up Guacamelee STCE, and wow what a fun game with amazing style! Why didn't anyone ever mention this game back then. :P The mechanics are really snappy and engaging, the atmosphere makes me want to eat a taco, and the humor and exploration are just icing on the cake. Really glad I finally fired this one up! (I've heard some people say the original "Gold" version is better balanced and more fun because of it overall. Any of you played both? I've got the original release as well, so if it seems like it's better, I may play that version as well.)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 am I started up Guacamelee STCE, and wow what a fun game with amazing style! Why didn't anyone ever mention this game back then. :P The mechanics are really snappy and engaging, the atmosphere makes me want to eat a taco, and the humor and exploration are just icing on the cake. Really glad I finally fired this one up! (I've heard some people say the original "Gold" version is better balanced and more fun because of it overall. Any of you played both? I've got the original release as well, so if it seems like it's better, I may play that version as well.)
Glad you're enjoying that one. I played the original on Vita. I tried it twice and bounced off, then fell for it hard on the third attempt.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:05 pm Glad you're enjoying that one. I played the original on Vita. I tried it twice and bounced off, then fell for it hard on the third attempt.
What wasn't clicking for you initially? Was it the dimension hopping platforming or something else?

argyle

Post by argyle »

I played Guacamelee on PS4 as well (I think) - could have been Vita tho. Was a while back. What I do remember is that some of the platforming gets NASTY towards the end. It's still a good game, just has some frustrating parts.

I still need to play the second one.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 pm I played Guacamelee on PS4 as well (I think) - could have been Vita tho. Was a while back. What I do remember is that some of the platforming gets NASTY towards the end. It's still a good game, just has some frustrating parts.
Well after playing Celeste a couple years ago, I think I'll be alright...unless it's just poorly designed, and that's the source of the frustration.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (platinum), Powerwash Simulator: Warhammer 40k DLC

Now Playing: Windbound, unsure

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 42 games

Finished the newest Powerwash Simulator DLC and then got the final trophies for the Infinite Wealth platinum (#93). Got to level 60 and then had 10 level boosters from the preorder and some side stuff, which were nice to save up lol.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 amTam grabbed Lies of P off of Gamepass & was playing it a little. She got stuck at an early tough guy and says "I want to see if you can beat him" so I downloaded it. Made it past that guy, made it past the first boss. It feels like a mix of Bloodborne and Bioshock. Tough, but not as tough as Bloodborne so far (or maybe I've gotten better at these from playing so much Elden Ring?).
I’ve come to dislike Soulslikes at this point, and I don’t plan on buying them anymore because they’re almost always overly difficult. I recently played Dolmen, Remnant: From the Ashes and Scars Above and I liked them, but their hard difficulties made me stop playing them. Scars Above actually has difficulty settings, but even easy is more like hard with hard bosses and that’s why I stopped playing it despite liking it. Part of the reason why I haven’t been enjoying games as much lately is because it seems like the modern trend in gaming now is to make games hard without difficulty settings which is especially true for a lot of indie games, and hard games aren’t fun IMO.
argyle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 amOh! I forgot to talk about Gris! I downloaded this on a whim last week looking for something fairly breezy. Man, is this an amazing game!
It’s in my backlog.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:27 amI started up Guacamelee STCE, and wow what a fun game with amazing style!
I liked the game playing as Tostada because I found her more appealing than Juan, but the problem is that playing as her is strictly cosmetic as you’re still playing as Juan just with a Tostada skin. That’s what ruined it for me, and why I stopped playing it.