The Backlog Check-in Vol. 330: 4/27/24: Endless Ocean Luminous Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 330: 4/27/24: Endless Ocean Luminous Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Morrowind has already got its hooks in me. You start off wonderfully ineffectual, and that "hero's journey" arc is always something I find very compelling. It reminds me of ELEX in how powerless you feel in the beginning, both in terms of actual ability as well as dwarfed by the possibilities of this vast / dense world with so much to do and learn. I've been wandering and only filled a couple quests for the mages guild, which I joined early on. I've gotten lost in reading in-game books too, lol. I always find these little stories engaging and love how they add to the sense of place. I will also say that I already understand the hatred for the Cliff Racers and the meme that spawned from them. I've only had a couple encounters, but given the early stages of my character, I was woefully unprepared to deal, ha. I kited one into a town and let the guards dispatch it - or rather simply ran from it out of necessity while looking for safety, lol. The guard put it down in an instant which made me feel like:

Starting from this place of weakness really makes me excited for the journey forward as I develop and choose how to empower myself in this world.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:55 am Morrowind has already got its hooks in me. You start off wonderfully ineffectual, and that "hero's journey" arc is always something I find very compelling. It reminds me of ELEX in how powerless you feel in the beginning, both in terms of actual ability as well as dwarfed by the possibilities of this vast / dense world with so much to do and learn. I've been wandering and only filled a couple quests for the mages guild, which I joined early on. I've gotten lost in reading in-game books too, lol. I always find these little stories engaging and love how they add to the sense of place. I will also say that I already understand the hatred for the Cliff Racers and the meme that spawned from them. I've only had a couple encounters, but given the early stages of my character, I was woefully unprepared to deal, ha. I kited one into a town and let the guards dispatch it - or rather simply ran from it out of necessity while looking for safety, lol. The guard put it down in an instant which made me feel like:

Starting from this place of weakness really makes me excited for the journey forward as I develop and choose how to empower myself in this world.
That sounds so good to me.

Any idea why that game isn't Steam Deck verified? Oblivion and Skyrim are but Morrowind isn't. If I ever play it, that would probably be the system I'd use.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:23 am That sounds so good to me.

Any idea why that game isn't Steam Deck verified? Oblivion and Skyrim are but Morrowind isn't. If I ever play it, that would probably be the system I'd use.
I don't know the criteria for "Steam Deck Verified", but I would assume they're looking for low-friction types of things that are mostly install-and-play. The Deck obviously has way more than enough horsepower to run Morrowind, but it was designed with M&KB and isn't natively controller compatible, and I would assume that might be part of the reason, at least. I imagine Valve wants the experience of the Deck to be as smooth and painless for the less tinkering-inclined as possible, and that makes sense. And of course, Morrowind is notoriously buggy. I got it running smoothly by installing the "code-patch" mod, but I would imagine that modding is also not something Valve wants to be necessary for the average user to have a good experience. These are just my assumptions to be clear. I don't know all the reasons for verified status or otherwise. If you do play it, one way or another, and it's not on a console of some kind, I would certainly install that mod, and consider it a basic requirement for a positive experience.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm I don't know the criteria for "Steam Deck Verified", but I would assume they're looking for low-friction types of things that are mostly install-and-play. The Deck obviously has way more than enough horsepower to run Morrowind, but it was designed with M&KB and isn't natively controller compatible, and I would assume that might be part of the reason, at least. I imagine Valve wants the experience of the Deck to be as smooth and painless for the less tinkering-inclined as possible, and that makes sense. And of course, Morrowind is notoriously buggy. I got it running smoothly by installing the "code-patch" mod, but I would imagine that modding is also not something Valve wants to be necessary for the average user to have a good experience. These are just my assumptions to be clear. I don't know all the reasons for verified status or otherwise. If you do play it, one way or another, and it's not on a console of some kind, I would certainly install that mod, and consider it a basic requirement for a positive experience.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the word.