The Haul Thread 2024

argyle

Re: The Haul Thread 2024

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:52 pm
argyle wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:21 am Where was that from Izzy? :?:
CD Keys. I already had Stubbs and Innerspace in my Steam cart since they were on a good sale and had been on my wish list for a while. But I figured I'd look around before checkout just in case, and they were both cheaper on CD Keys, and so I ended up browsing and kept filling my cart, and before I knew it, it was too full, ha.

I may have mentioned before that I don't use CD Keys often, and I don't - primarily out of principle. It's not that they don't sell legitimate keys, but rather their method of obtaining them is via the exploitation of regional pricing which, depending on your perspective, can be viewed as harmful to developers and the industry at large, among other potential downsides. (No judgment on those who prefer them. I know some buy *only* from CD Keys.) However, sometimes I find good deals that I can't pass up and realize that self-interest is also in my bag of principles.
I get that - I had jumped on some "deals" a few times that required you to create another region account on the Switch where you could buy some digital games for pocket change. Didn't think much of it, until I read an article a couple years back talking about what's actually going on there & what it does to the dev. Like you said, not judging anyone who still does it - I completely get it. But it does make you stop & think.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am I get that - I had jumped on some "deals" a few times that required you to create another region account on the Switch where you could buy some digital games for pocket change. Didn't think much of it, until I read an article a couple years back talking about what's actually going on there & what it does to the dev. Like you said, not judging anyone who still does it - I completely get it. But it does make you stop & think.
Yeah, not to go off on too big of a philosophical/ethical tangent, but the issue of consumption / consumerism is generally a big one for me. I know many are aware of the conditions for others that give rise to the products we tend to consume in the developed world, but it's hard for me to justify much in the way of my consumer "footprint". Outside of games and the means to play them, I live a very minimalist life because of those effects. I don't like to take more than I need. I know it is easily argued that my investment in products of technology, primarily PC hardware at this point, is a contributor to the suffering of others, however none of us are perfect, and I feel I'm doing my best by limiting any negative impact to such a relatively small amount of indulgence. And to be clear, I don't judge those who are rabid consumers. Not everyone is aware of everything, nor does everyone need to be. Life is a messy thing with innumerable moving parts, and in the end, kindness, tolerance and forgiveness trump most everything else imho.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Grabbed these three for $19 and change in the updated PSN Summer Sale.
isthatallyougot

Kind of an odd assortment that I picked up. I'm really excited for Obenseuer though. I had never heard of it, but it was in one of the recent fanatical bundles. Anyway, it looks like my kind of strange.

isthatallyougot

Sometime last week or thereabouts I ended up picking up a few new items on GOG since The Suffering games were being delisted and I wanted to have digital copies. I ended up browsing my wish list and added a few other things to my cart.

* Edit - Oh wow, that image quality is garbage lol. I guess I should have checked before posting, but I'm too lazy now. It's probably readable if you squint. :P

argyle

Post by argyle »

I am genuinely interested in what you picked up izzy, but my eyes are too old to read that. :P

I didn't realize they were delisting The Suffering games tho - tempted by those myself if they're still that price (and for sale), I played the first one way back when & enjoyed it.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:08 am I am genuinely interested in what you picked up izzy, but my eyes are too old to read that. :P

I didn't realize they were delisting The Suffering games tho - tempted by those myself if they're still that price (and for sale), I played the first one way back when & enjoyed it.
Ha sorry.

The Suffering games are now delisted. (I think they were permanently take off a week or so ago. But who knows why. Maybe that signals remasters, or maybe nothing, who can say?) I wasn't going to buy them since I could either play them physically or emulate, so I waited for a price drop as they were about to be removed. They dropped them from $20 to $10, and I was like, nah, still too much. Then they dropped them to $2 near the end, and I was happy to pay $4 to have them both digitally.

isthatallyougot

Fanatical was having one of their recurring bundle "madness" or whatever they call it weeks last week, and I grabbed a handful from two different bundles. The 9 games ended up costing $10.25 out the door. Pretty good.

argyle

Post by argyle »

Can't argue with that!

I have Getsufumaden in my backlog, and I'd like to get to it sooner rather than later - love that art style.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I've grabbed a few things VERY cheap in recent PSN sales...

You can see which one I played first below. :D