The Backlog Check-in Vol. 349: 9/7/24: Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP/Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 349: 9/7/24: Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP/Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II Edition

Post by jfissel »

argyle wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:30 pm A $700 PS5 Pro when most of the games I'm playing & enjoying aren't even taxing current hardware? Sony may have fully lost their minds.

pass.gif
It's very expensive and the regular console seems to still be about the same price as 4 years ago at launch. The enhanced visuals look great, but that is rough.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 349: 9/7/24: Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP/Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine II Edition

Post by argyle »

I watched the part of Sony's presentation that had the side-by-side comparisons, and honestly I could barely see a difference, and I can't imagine being able to tell if they WEREN'T side-by-side. At any rate, I actually sold my PS5 yesterday (been lazy about listing it, had meant to since I got my new PC a couple months ago) - shipping it off today. I really haven't been using it much. Don't misunderstand, I could probably sell the Xbox as well and be fine w/ my PC & Nintendo consoles, but for one thing - since Tam & I both have Xbox's, it's cheaper for us when there's a game we both want to play to buy it once there & be able to game share it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

You're not wrong, but apparently there is an audience for that thing. People are buying up external disk drives for it.

I just want to know if there will be a price drop on the OG PS5 when that comes out. That's always been the way, but that $699 price tag for the Pro doesn't bode well.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:52 am You're not wrong, but apparently there is an audience for that thing. People are buying up external disk drives for it.

I just want to know if there will be a price drop on the OG PS5 when that comes out. That's always been the way, but that $699 price tag for the Pro doesn't bode well.
I've heard rumblings of speculators buying up accessories (the stand too, apparently) to try to flip. And I'm sure the thing will probably sell out however many preorders they put up. But so did the VR headset I believe - I don't see it having any long-term appeal unless they significantly drop that price. Eh, not like I have a dog in the fight, just find it funny is all. :)

I think I'm almost at the end of Planet of Lana - such a great game.

One of the new games releasing this week that was on Phase's list but went right under my radar because I wasn't familiar with it - Yars Rising - I ordered on Tues & should be here tomorrow. It's a Metroidvania by WayForward (I love me some WayForward :) ) based on the old Atari 2600 game Yars Revenge. I say based on because it's not really a sequel, being a completely different genre, but it looks like they did manage to put a lot of homages to the original into the new game (from the trailer, it appears that there's some kind of hacking mini-game or something that plays like the old game, for one). Coincidentally, Limited Run also shipped my copy of Contra: Operation Galuga the other day - another WayForward joint.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I don't really have any good reason to chime in on the PS5 pro discussion since I'm really PC only, but I did find the price, especially considering the "accessories" and overall hardware upgrade to be pretty absurd and greedy. Old Sony returns. :P I'd never pay that price for a console. PC gaming is so much cheaper (and better imho) even with up-front and ongoing hardware costs due to the insane deals you can get on games. But if I were still going to game on console, I'd definitely go for the base PS5, no doubt about it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!