The Haul Thread 2022

argyle

Re: The Haul Thread 2022

Post by argyle »

Grabbed another bundle for $5:
Untitled-2.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I have all those in my backlog argyle. I've never gotten around to them, but they all look really fun imho.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

PS4 digital games
Asterigos: Curse of the Stars
Blacksad: Under the Skin
Conan Exiles
The Escapists 2
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
LEGO DC Super-Villains
Need For Speed Payback
Need For Speed Heat
The Survivalists
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

PS4 digital games
Demoniaca: Everlasting Night
DreadOut 2
Rune Factory 4 Special
argyle

Post by argyle »

The slipmat I ordered last week for my record player arrived today:

PXL_20221017_222543177.jpg

I ordered something else really cool along with it that hasn't shipped yet. ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Very nice. Gotta ask: Do you use vinyl as your primary music player? I love the sound and other aspects of LPs, but they aren't very convenient.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I'd say my primary is Spotify, because of the convenience. You get whatever new release hits instantly and can listen to them anywhere - it's hard to argue with that. And I do most of my listening in the car, so there's that. But I really do enjoy listening to vinyl when I'm at home. It does have a warmer sound, but I also like the "commitment" of "I'm putting on an album so I'm listening to it beginning to end, no skipping tracks". And of course I love the large format artwork, booklets, etc. - it's become my go-to for those albums that I want to own physically. I don't have a massive collection, but I've got a pretty decent one worked up over the past 2-3 years - some bought new, many found in estate sales. My player came from an estate sale (a vintage Kenwood player from the late 70's/early 80's). It's a fun hobby - it can get expensive if you let it, but I try to limit myself to very few new vinyl purchases - only things that are really special to me.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That makes perfect sense.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I still buy all of my music on CD, and I still buy a lot of albums but I stopped posting them in the haul threads here when we switched to this new board. I admit that I miss cane’s humorous comments about their album covers. :P

Owning a physical music CD is actually owning the album just like it is with vinyl and cassette, because you can play them on any device that will play them with no internet required. No downloads, patches, updates, or any way for them to alter or change the music that’s recorded on them. This is not the case with physical games anymore. My physical PS4 game discs just feel like unlock keys for the digital versions of the games at this point, and it’s part of why I’m not into buying physical games as much these days. Not to mention that my PS4 disc drive still acts up from time to time, so if it ever stops working then it will render all of my physical games useless. And GameStop gives next to nothing for games anymore, and doesn’t even take some at all. So physical games aren’t what they used to be, but I still like to own bigger titles physically.

Apparently Sony is going to start releasing the PS5 with a detachable disc drive, so instead of having a built-in disc drive version and a non-disc drive version like they offer now there’s only going to be one non-disc drive version of it that you can attach a disc drive to if you want. They’re going to sell the disc drive separately. This is a great idea, because if the disc drive ever goes on the fritz then you can just replace it with another one without having to replace the entire console.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm The slipmat I ordered last week for my record player arrived today:

PXL_20221017_222543177.jpg

I ordered something else really cool along with it that hasn't shipped yet. ;)
Nice!
argyle wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:29 am I'd say my primary is Spotify, because of the convenience. You get whatever new release hits instantly and can listen to them anywhere - it's hard to argue with that. And I do most of my listening in the car, so there's that. But I really do enjoy listening to vinyl when I'm at home. It does have a warmer sound, but I also like the "commitment" of "I'm putting on an album so I'm listening to it beginning to end, no skipping tracks". And of course I love the large format artwork, booklets, etc. - it's become my go-to for those albums that I want to own physically. I don't have a massive collection, but I've got a pretty decent one worked up over the past 2-3 years - some bought new, many found in estate sales. My player came from an estate sale (a vintage Kenwood player from the late 70's/early 80's). It's a fun hobby - it can get expensive if you let it, but I try to limit myself to very few new vinyl purchases - only things that are really special to me.
Yes, there's something very intimate about music that is unlike anything else imho. As convenient and enjoyable as something like Spotify can be, it has a bit of a throwaway ease (like much in modern culture) that can devalue the connection to those sounds and rhythms that really resonate. We live in a world of so much content and consumption that it's sometimes hard to even notice that we might be *racing* or rapidly shifting focus (internally/mentally), and listening to records with their method of delivery, physical (warm as you mentioned) sounds and vibrations, and tactile aspects can help you slow down and *breathe*. I want to go back in time. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!