The Backlog Check-in Vol. 286: 6/24/23: Enclave HD Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 286: 6/24/23: Enclave HD Edition

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:40 pm Fatal Frame II is really good, it’s one of my favorite PS2 horror games. Too bad it’s not available digitally for PS4, the same with Blood Will Tell which I really enjoyed as well.
Is Fatal Frame 2 not? I was going by this list I found:

https://www.psu.com/news/all-ps2-classi ... le-on-psn/
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:43 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:40 pmFatal Frame II is really good, it’s one of my favorite PS2 horror games. Too bad it’s not available digitally for PS4, the same with Blood Will Tell which I really enjoyed as well.
Is Fatal Frame 2 not? I was going by this list I found:

https://www.psu.com/news/all-ps2-classi ... le-on-psn/
It’s available digitally for PS3, but not PS4. :(
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Some good suggestions guys.

I'd love to play Fatal Frame II - loved the first. I didn't really care for Primal.

I'd also be down for The Warriors (never played), The Red Star or Killer 7 (replay for me - one of my all-time favs)

Honestly I'd play anything. If most of you guys are limited to what's available on the PS store, why don't you all come up with a selection on there and we can vote on it or something. I'm easy though. New to me, replay, even some games I didn't particularly love, I'd be open to trying them again. And I'm open to emulating if I don't have it argyle, but I can only speak for myself.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished King’s Bounty II which ended extremely abruptly, and I got this message at the end:

To be continued... You completed this part of the story. Feel free to resume your adventures and complete the remaining side quests or just wander around Nostria as you wait for the story to continue.

So it turns out that the game isn’t complete, it ends only partway through the story. It came out back in 2001 and there hasn’t been any mention of them working on DLC or a sequel, so it seems unlikely that the story is ever going to continue at this point.

I really enjoyed the game, but they could have and should have ended the story where the game ends. However, for some reason they decided to leave the story incomplete and give that message at the end instead of providing an actual ending.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Last day of school. I'm mad bored.

Played: Marvel Midnight Suns, Odin Sphere

Beat: Nothing

Bought: Nothing

This week: All Marvel Midnight Suns all the time baby!!!

Marvel Midnight Suns continues to be in second place for game of the year (look, Huntdown was cheating...they quoted The Last Dragon. It's just not fair...). It crashed a couple nights ago while I was saving and I kinda just didn't care. Which is bizarre for me, I normally uninstall immediately with how buggy this game is. However, I cannot stop playing this game. And there's still at least seven whole ass characters that have to join my team including the DLC crew. That's nuts! I am currently hoping to be done by mid July and then I will move on to Ishin and finish up the summer by starting Valhalla. Stuff like SF6 and Exoprimal will be liberally strewn about as well. Imma be eating good boys! I'll sprinkle a few shorties in there too. I might be down for this Warriors game club suggestion, I never played it, I love beat em ups and it is on PS4...
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:46 am I finished King’s Bounty II which ended extremely abruptly, and I got this message at the end:

To be continued... You completed this part of the story. Feel free to resume your adventures and complete the remaining side quests or just wander around Nostria as you wait for the story to continue.
Sounds like a certain big-name movie I saw over the weekend. Speaking of Marvel.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Must...resist urge...to nerd out...about the movie...to the old man... :oops:

LOOK, IT'S ROXAS WHICH CAN ONLY MEAN ONE OF TWO THINGS!

THAT'S RIGHT FAM...SUMMER IS FINALLY ******* HERE!!!!!

I have a thought about game club thing: I love the idea of playing something older, especially from PS2 era given our history. I also love argyle's suggestion we just kinda pick something and meet to talk about whatever it might be in the game club thread. Now, I think I have a PS2 HDMI. Also, while I flipping APPLAUD y'all for emulating, computers that aren't consoles terrify me. I don't even own a non work provided laptop or pc anymore. Also, if I did have the ability to emulate, I would just have permanent analysis paralysis. I'm real glad y'all have access to tons of stuff, y'all can play some erstwhile grossly over priced things like Xenosaga 3 and that ilk. I do have a pretty big PS2 physical collection and I am not against the idea of PS2 classics on PS4.

Here's the proposal: game club annually for the summer is a PS2 choose your own adventure! While I will be fairly limited, if I am doing it once a year it's not like I would burn through games anyway. You want original hardware? Do it. You want an HD remaster like Okami? Have at thee. A complete remake like Yakuza Kiwami? Knock yourself the **** out. Whatever we choose to do, we can as long as it's rooted in PS2. I think that way everyone can pick at least something they have at least a passing interest in. Thoughts?
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:30 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:55 pm I've made a lot of progress in Octopath... finished two of the characters' stories and close on others. It took a long time for me to "get it," but now that I do I can't wait to play it. Good stuff.
Might have to get to this one sooner rather than later.
I have no doubt you'll like it.
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:42 am Here's the proposal: game club annually for the summer is a PS2 choose your own adventure! While I will be fairly limited, if I am doing it once a year it's not like I would burn through games anyway. You want original hardware? Do it. You want an HD remaster like Okami? Have at thee. A complete remake like Yakuza Kiwami? Knock yourself the **** out. Whatever we choose to do, we can as long as it's rooted in PS2. I think that way everyone can pick at least something they have at least a passing interest in. Thoughts?
I really think this is going to be our best option, given the differences in what we've played and, more importantly, have access to vis-a-vis PS2. I would like to stipulate tho that it be an ACTUAL PS2 game, not a remake. That's just cheating. :P Emulated, ported, even an HD port will squeak by, but a full remake is a different game and doesn't count.

I brought my Switch & Octopath II with me today, will see where the day goes.

And cane, are you talking about Infinity War? Because that & Endgame are probably the last 2 Marvel movies outside of the Spidy stuff that are REALLY good.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:42 am Must...resist urge...to nerd out...about the movie...to the old man... :oops:
Ha, it was great. I just didn't know that was how it was going to go.

argyle wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:27 am And cane, are you talking about Infinity War? Because that & Endgame are probably the last 2 Marvel movies outside of the Spidy stuff that are REALLY good.
It was the Spidy stuff. Newest one. :D

argyle wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:27 am Here's the proposal: game club annually for the summer is a PS2 choose your own adventure!
That makes sense, I reckon.

Hmm, what to play, what to play...