The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

crimson_tide

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by crimson_tide »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:06 pm Just dust off your PS2! :lol:

I know this isn't directed at me but I kinda want to at this point. I have so many games I could be PS2oosing from :P . The PS2 on PS4 stuff isn't hitting me the same way. There had to be more on PS2 for me than Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts and Ratchet right?
argyle

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:06 pm Just dust off your PS2! :lol:
Y'know all that clunkiness you guys are complaining about with PS2 games? Most of that is eliminated when you emulate them. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 am Y'know all that clunkiness you guys are complaining about with PS2 games? Most of that is eliminated when you emulate them. ;)
As if I could figure that out!

I thought I could drag my way through Destroy All Humans, but I bailed on the final boss. It's one of those two-parters, each of which has three phases. I kept dying in the middle part of the second one and said enough is enough, this is not fun at all. The load times, mission structure, forced stealth, etc., outweigh all the positives.

This PS2oosing of my own summer adventure has been eye-opening to me. I tend to romanticize that generation in my mind, not taking into account how much has changed for the good since then.

Anyway, after DAH, I fired up GTA III from the PS4 collection. Mostly I wanted to make sure the disc worked (I bought it used), but I might stick with it. We will see. It's down my list of GTA games, but I sure spent a lot of time in Liberty City back in the day... every nook and cranny sparks some kind of memory of a mission or stunt jump or crazy sandbox event.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:08 pm
As if I could figure that out!

I thought I could drag my way through Destroy All Humans, but I bailed on the final boss. It's one of those two-parters, each of which has three phases. I kept dying in the middle part of the second one and said enough is enough, this is not fun at all. The load times, mission structure, forced stealth, etc., outweigh all the positives.

This PS2oosing of my own summer adventure has been eye-opening to me. I tend to romanticize that generation in my mind, not taking into account how much has changed for the good since then.

Anyway, after DAH, I fired up GTA III from the PS4 collection. Mostly I wanted to make sure the disc worked (I bought it used), but I might stick with it. We will see. It's down my list of GTA games, but I sure spent a lot of time in Liberty City back in the day... every nook and cranny sparks some kind of memory of a mission or stunt jump or crazy sandbox event.
I sometimes feel like I romanticize that generation, but then when I return to it, I'm having as great a time as I always did. (and often an even better time than with so many modern titles) I guess it just depends on what you're used to playing. I regularly play older titles, so I guess I'm not as swept up in the momentum of the progression of time. *What year is it .gif* :P I know that modern titles are more streamlined and "best-practices" infused, but they also often miss much of the charm provided by those rougher unrefined edges for me. Modern indies can still evoke that experimental sensation oftentimes as well for me, that feeling of not knowing what you're going to get from one game to the next in terms of structure, menus, inputs, and all the rest.

I did enjoy Destroy All Humans back when I played it on the PS2. It wasn't earth-shattering excellent, but it was decent fun. I remember having such a good time throwing cows around with my alien super brain. :P And I remember it being pretty funny overall. I just checked my spreadsheet, and I ranked it a 3/5 on March 29, 2008. Wow! What year is it indeed?!?

And argyle's right about emulation. I know you don't want to do it, but save states alone - not to mention graphical enhancements (which don't matter a great deal to me), among other things, make it such a great way to experience so many games of the past. I still like playing on original hardware too though. It just depends on moods, for me anyway.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:01 pm I did enjoy Destroy All Humans back when I played it on the PS2. It wasn't earth-shattering excellent, but it was decent fun. I remember having such a good time throwing cows around with my alien super brain. :P And I remember it being pretty funny overall. I just checked my spreadsheet, and I ranked it a 3/5 on March 29, 2008. Wow! What year is it indeed?!?
Throwing cows (and people and cars and...) around with PK is the best thing about the game. I did a lot of it, including all the abduction side missions. The humor is pretty solid too. I didn't hate the game... the negatives just surpassed the positives by the time the end rolled around. 3/5 is right where I'd be.