The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

argyle

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:00 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:00 pm Rogue Galaxy is looking like what I might be PS2oosing this summer. Somehow. I don't love or hate it but it's very comfy to play. It feels very PS2. I might lose interest at some point but it's got its grubby, giant ass PS2 hands on me at the moment, currently on chapter 3.
I saw you playing that on PSN. It was great stuff at the time, as I recall... although there was one long and annoying dungeon that makes me hesitant to replay it.
The 2 towers. It has to be them. They are burned into my memory.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, make no mistake, this delightful trip back to PS2 era gaming has been an eye opener. And as izzy has pointed out, I just want to have fun. If Rogue Galaxy gets to be a drag at any point, it's on to the next one. Which will likely be Destroy All Humans which has serious Hulk UD vibes. I can absolutely **** with a Hulk UD game right now...but I don't want to replay something because then this whole endeavor would have just been Kingdom Hearts/Ratchet and Clank/Yakuza. Hell, I might've even gone for Shadow the Hedgehog, let's be honest :P .

But Rogue Galaxy is holding my interest for the moment. We will see how long that lasts ;) .
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Having read quite a few reviews on Vexx, I'm honestly surprised at the mixed reception. It doesn't have the personality of some of the genre staples and is bare bones in terms of narrative and style perhaps, but the nuts and bolts are really fun. The platforming can be really tough in spots and it just has a satisfying means of progression, both in terms of variety and difficulty. I've gotten 49 of the 60 required wraith hearts to open up the central spoke of the main hub - and presumably a final boss / challenge - and I've had a great time with it. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get every single heart possible after completing it, but I'm tempted. I don't see how anyone who really enjoys 3D platformers wouldn't find something positive here. I'm glad I 2ose it. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:00 pmFF12 is like...hard to figure out man. I would have to restart I think. I gave it 2 hours but it just wasn't clicking. I need more time with it.
Are you playing the original PS2 version, or The Zodiac Age remaster? The remaster is a big improvement over the original not only visually, but also in terms of streamlining the gameplay mechanics more. I didn’t have too hard of a time figuring it out, but while I was liking the story and characters there was too much NPC text conversations and dungeon crawling for my liking. Also, the battle system is too much on autopilot. You target an enemy and have to wait for a little bar to slowly fill before doing your selected action such as attack, use magic, or use an item. I didn’t like it very much. However, I was still enjoying the game enough to possibly play it again in the future when I’m more in the mood for it.
crimson_tide wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:32 pmthis delightful trip back to PS2 era gaming has been an eye opener.
Yeah, by showing just how far games have come since then. :P
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finished up Vexx. I had a really fun time overall with this one. It had some problems - some tied to the era and others of its own, but it was good fun in terms of the pure platforming. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a hit or miss for me based upon the overall mixed reception, but I'm glad I gave it my time. On to something else.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Not sure it's even appropriate to put this here, but I'm playing the remake of Destroy All Humans! as my semi-PS2oose game. Entertaining fare so far.

This project has indeed shown me that games have come a long way since the PS2 era, which I loved so dang much. The graphics aren't really a big issue for me, but the antiquated controls, save systems, etc., are painful. Recognizing that, I finally broke down and got a used copy of the GTA Trilogy (don't want Rockstar getting my money after the way they crapped out those games).
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:09 am Not sure it's even appropriate to put this here, but I'm playing the remake of Destroy All Humans! as my semi-PS2oose game. Entertaining fare so far.

This project has indeed shown me that games have come a long way since the PS2 era, which I loved so dang much. The graphics aren't really a big issue for me, but the antiquated controls, save systems, etc., are painful. Recognizing that, I finally broke down and got a used copy of the GTA Trilogy (don't want Rockstar getting my money after the way they crapped out those games).
I 100% agree with the old man here. I might have to do Rogue Galaxy in drops and drabs because it's mid AND old so it's getting to be a drag. I might even join you in destroying all humans since the sequel is also coming to PS Plus this month as part of Not Game Pass. I could do with some power tripping Hulk UD style since I don't think I will get another big summer game in the way this summer is going :) .
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:36 pm I 100% agree with the old man here. I might have to do Rogue Galaxy in drops and drabs because it's mid AND old so it's getting to be a drag. I might even join you in destroying all humans since the sequel is also coming to PS Plus this month as part of Not Game Pass. I could do with some power tripping Hulk UD style since I don't think I will get another big summer game in the way this summer is going :) .
Well it's not quite the tank-throwing, car-glove-wearing power trip that Hulk UD gives you, but Crypto can send people (and cows and whatnot) flying with PK, and that most assuredly is a hoot.
argyle

Post by argyle »

So my ability to emulate PS2 games has been greatly exaggerated. :P I thought my Pi could do it, but turns out that's a no-go. It's not that I don't have PS2 playing options, but they just aren't optimal for my setup. So that's why I haven't started anything yet.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Just dust off your PS2! :lol: