The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Phaseknox

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:09 pmI fired up Vexx for this thang. I had never played it before, but it's a fun collectathon platformer with nice (technically, if not necessarily always artistically) visuals and smooth controls. It's got a hub world with certain collection requirements to open up new and visually diverse areas, and it seems like there's some pretty good variety to the ways you obtain these tokens so far. There's also some combat, which while responsive, is pretty repetitive. It's not necessary to collect everything to reach the final area, but I'm having a good time playing, collecting and discovering secrets so far.

Any of you guys ever played it?
I played it, and remember not really liking it.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:35 pm Not only did I never play it, but I don't think I've ever heard of it. As much time as I spend looking in Gamestops during the PS2 era, this cover doesn't look familiar at all:
Well, get on it! :P
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:58 pm I played it, and remember not really liking it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:11 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:58 pmI played it, and remember not really liking it.
I’ve just never really been a fan of cartoonish 3D collect-a-thon platformers, when everyone was going crazy over Super Mario 64 I just didn’t really see the appeal. Tomb Raider was my favorite game franchise at that time, and that’s pretty much around when I stopped liking more cartoonish games aimed at younger audiences in general.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I haven't picked yet, but that's partially because I can't find my raspberry pi right now (aka my ps2 emulation box). :P

I remember playing a little Vexx, but I can't really remember anything specific about it. And it's not because I don't like 3D collect-a-thons. ;) Matter of fact, I'd recommend one that most people passed over back in the day, i-Ninja.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:08 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:11 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:58 pmI played it, and remember not really liking it.
I’ve just never really been a fan of cartoonish 3D collect-a-thon platformers, when everyone was going crazy over Super Mario 64 I just didn’t really see the appeal. Tomb Raider was my favorite game franchise at that time, and that’s pretty much around when I stopped liking more cartoonish games aimed at younger audiences in general.
I played Tomb Raider, and I remember not really liking it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:06 pmI remember playing a little Vexx, but I can't really remember anything specific about it. And it's not because I don't like 3D collect-a-thons. ;) Matter of fact, I'd recommend one that most people passed over back in the day, i-Ninja.
I liked I-Ninja a lot, from what I remember it was more of a straight up 3D action platformer than a collect-a-thon. Regardless, I remember it being a lot of fun and I liked it more than a lot of the more popular games at the time within the same genre.
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:06 pmI played Tomb Raider, and I remember not really liking it.
For me at the time (1996) Tomb Raider was basically the game that I always wanted: a 3D action adventure game with combat, exploration, environment interaction (climbing, platforming, swimming, etc.), key items and puzzle solving. It had it all, including an appealing female protagonist. I was 26 when it came out, and the PlayStation was my favorite console. I wasn’t into Nintendo anymore, I never even got a Nintendo 64. However, I did get a GameCube and liked it quite a bit, but it was the last Nintendo console that I’ve gotten since then not counting the Switch Lite that my sister recently gave me.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:08 pm I’ve just never really been a fan of cartoonish 3D collect-a-thon platformers, when everyone was going crazy over Super Mario 64 I just didn’t really see the appeal. Tomb Raider was my favorite game franchise at that time, and that’s pretty much around when I stopped liking more cartoonish games aimed at younger audiences in general.
I *still* adore classic (Core-developed) Tomb Raider. Those games, for me, are as great as they ever were. Admittedly there's a clunkiness and stiffness to the movement, but the precision is worth the tradeoff. And the exploration, atmosphere and music are still wonderful today imho. The PS1 entries are all-time classics in my book.
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:06 pm I haven't picked yet, but that's partially because I can't find my raspberry pi right now (aka my ps2 emulation box). :P

I remember playing a little Vexx, but I can't really remember anything specific about it. And it's not because I don't like 3D collect-a-thons. ;) Matter of fact, I'd recommend one that most people passed over back in the day, i-Ninja.
i-Ninja is one of my all-time favs. Fun platforming and nice, silly humor.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:34 amI *still* adore classic (Core-developed) Tomb Raider. Those games, for me, are as great as they ever were. Admittedly there's a clunkiness and stiffness to the movement, but the precision is worth the tradeoff. And the exploration, atmosphere and music are still wonderful today imho. The PS1 entries are all-time classics in my book.
I still like them as well, and the little retro console that I have has all of them except for The Last Revelation which is disappointing since it’s one of my favorites.
isthatallyougot

I'm having a pretty good time with Vexx. I've got 20 of the 60-needed wraith hearts to get to the final boss/area/whatever it is. They've done a good job of mixing up the methods to acquire them. Granted there is some repetition, but there's also unique puzzles within the various worlds. The different levels are also nicely diverse, both from each other and within their own settings in terms of some unique locations. The platforming is responsive and controls well in general. I still don't really love the character art style, and the combat has remained the same throughout and is ultimately pointless, so it's often best to just run by foes. But as mascot platformers go, this one is worth a play in my view. It's got enough good stuff to justify its existence. I'm happy I took the chance.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh snap, now that I am free from the thrall of Marvel Midnight Suns (that goddamn game...so good), I can do my summer adventuring! Still don't know what to pick up. Probably dabble in several things and report back here until I settle on something. Hell, if I get really adventurous in August, I might even hook up my PS2 (have the HDMI thing so why the hell not?)...