The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

canedaddy

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club #2 - The Warriors

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:02 pm Here it is:

https://cloud.collectorz.com/argylemonk ... lue=36;243
That's quite a collection. A lot of fond memories there.

I don't know if this link will work, but here's what I have in my PS2 backlog. (Allegedly. I haven't seen most of those games in a long time but I'm pretty sure I have them stashed away. :lol: )

https://www.backloggery.com/games.php?u ... onsole=PS2

It would be nice if at least a few of us played the same game. I'm open to almost anything.
argyle

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by argyle »

I updated the title w/ Crim's suggestion. :D

OK, so I feel like I should play something that I own & haven't played before (or gotten that far in) - because I went to the trouble of buying them at some point, right? And I want something short-ish, not an RPG (I'm about to start FF16, and I'm pondering playing some Octopath 2 in the afternoons when it's dead here at work, and it's summer so it's dead a lot :P). So here's what I've narrowed my choices down to:

Killer 7 - izzy mentioned this one earlier. I've played a few levels of it and enjoyed what I played, but I never finished it.
Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge - Never played this one at all as far as I can remember.
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams - The fourth entry, I remember starting it & being turned off by it early on, but I don't remember why. Only one I haven't played through, so it's tempting.
Pac-Man World 2 - I remember playing some of one of the Pac-Man World games a good while back and enjoying it, but I don't remember which one and I know whichever one it was I never finished it.

3 out of the 4 are Capcom joints. Man, Capcom was my jam in the PS2 days, and I'm happy to see they've been having a resurgence recently.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by canedaddy »

I don't think I own Dawn of Dreams, but Onimusha 3 is a possibility for me.

Also considering The Mark of Kri.

I'm going to dig through the PS2 pile later to see exactly what I own but haven't played.
argyle

Post by argyle »

I saw several on my list that I wouldn't mind playing again, truth be told, but at least for the first one here I'm trying to go for something "new".

Tam & I are going to a big retro game con in a couple of weeks, Southeast Game Exchange, in South Carolina. I'm gonna be on the lookout for some stuff there for the next round. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I've been busy the past couple days and I think I missed the new version of this thing. So the gist is (per crim) that we all choose our own PS2 game and have conversation about whatever we choose to play, right? Kind of like going back in time to when the PS2 was the focal point of gaming message boards. I like it, and that's probably a simple and less awkward and logistically challenging remedy to things, although it's fun to play the same thing too. But I like the direction, all things considered.

Well, I'm not sure what I'll play, but I'll start considering it. I finished Crash Twinsanity, but I want to play another PS2 game for the purposes of our PS2 summer extravaganza. :P I'll chew on it and pick something soon.

Edit: and I didn't bother posting my PS2 collection. *ain't nobody got time for that .gif* :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I have several PS2 games digitally for PS4 but I don’t think that I’m really in the mood to play any of them right now not only because they’re all games that I’ve played before in the past, but also because I have like a thousand PS4 games that I want to play. However, there’s always a chance that I’ll get in the mood to play a PS2 game before summer is over. We’ll see.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I couldn't find the SMT Radiou Kuzunoha games in my collection anymore. They gotta be around here somewhere! That's what I wanted to get into. Now I may fall back on DMC. The first one ain't really jiving so I will try 2 and 3. Going to keep digging in the crates too (I have some real possible bangers I never gave a fair shake I might have to hook up an actual PS2 to give a go :) ).
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:33 pmI may fall back on DMC. The first one ain't really jiving so I will try 2 and 3.
If the first one ain’t really jiving with you then chances are that 2 and 3 won’t either, because the first one is the best IMO. Some people like 3 the best so maybe you will like it more, but everyone agrees that 2 is the worst.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I fired up Vexx for this thang. I had never played it before, but it's a fun collectathon platformer with nice (technically, if not necessarily always artistically) visuals and smooth controls. It's got a hub world with certain collection requirements to open up new and visually diverse areas, and it seems like there's some pretty good variety to the ways you obtain these tokens so far. There's also some combat, which while responsive, is pretty repetitive. It's not necessary to collect everything to reach the final area, but I'm having a good time playing, collecting and discovering secrets so far.

Any of you guys ever played it?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:09 pm I fired up Vexx for this thang. I had never played it before, but it's a fun collectathon platformer with nice (technically, if not necessarily always artistically) visuals and smooth controls. It's got a hub world with certain collection requirements to open up new and visually diverse areas, and it seems like there's some pretty good variety to the ways you obtain these tokens so far. There's also some combat, which while responsive, is pretty repetitive. It's not necessary to collect everything to reach the final area, but I'm having a good time playing, collecting and discovering secrets so far.

Any of you guys ever played it?
Not only did I never play it, but I don't think I've ever heard of it. As much time as I spend looking in Gamestops during the PS2 era, this cover doesn't look familiar at all: