The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Phaseknox

The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by Phaseknox »

Let’s go back to 2005 and play the PS2 Rockstar game based on the 1979 movie The Warriors. I was 9 years old when the movie came out, and it was one of my favorites growing up. In the game you don’t only play out the events of the movie, but also the events that occurred before the movie as well. You of course play as The Warriors, a New York City street gang that gets into gang fights with other street gangs in the city. It’s a story driven third person action game with beat ‘em up combat.

The graphics are dated and blocky with blurry low res textures and somewhat cartoonish looking representations of the actors from the movie, but the gameplay still holds up well enough with decent controls and combat. However, some inputs for some actions are a little awkward and cumbersome which is common for Rockstar games.

The story is pretty good for a beat ‘em up, and the actors from the movie reprise their roles by providing their voices for their characters in the game. My biggest complaints with the game are that it takes place entirely at night, and the environments/levels are same-y looking throughout. But the pacing is good, and the combat is fun. However, be warned that the game is full of profanity so if that’s a turnoff for you then you might not want to play it.
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club #2 - The Warriors

Post by isthatallyougot »

Yeah, I got no problem with that. But I'd like for everyone to be on board that's interested - whatever we ultimately play.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Let's get a list of options & vote - I'll do Warriors if that's the consensus, but I'd rather play something I've never played before. Not trying to be difficult or anything! :)

Really wish everyone was down with/able to do emulation - that PS4 list is super restrictive, since it's mainly stuff most of us have either played or don't want to. :P Phase, does that box w/ the hundreds of games you got do PS2?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:23 am Really wish everyone was down with/able to do emulation - that PS4 list is super restrictive, since it's mainly stuff most of us have either played or don't want to. :P Phase, does that box w/ the hundreds of games you got do PS2?
Yeah, that really opens things up obviously. I'm happy to point anyone in a good/safe direction if you have reservations about things. So many old games are simply unavailable to purchase, and that only increases with the passage of time, generally speaking. It's not like buying a second hand copy on ebay is going to give the rights owners any money. If they wanted to (or were capable of - licensing) sell it then put it out there. Otherwise, board the ship. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:23 amLet's get a list of options & vote - I'll do Warriors if that's the consensus, but I'd rather play something I've never played before.
I didn’t know that you played The Warriors before, I did too but it was 18 years ago so I figured now was a good time to play it again since it was mentioned as a PS2 game for us all to play. I started playing it last night, but I’m not sure if I’ll stick with it if no one else here wants to play it since my main reason for playing it again now was to talk about it here.
argyle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:23 amPhase, does that box w/ the hundreds of games you got do PS2?
It actually has thousands of games :P, but only games for every console/system up until Dreamcast so unfortunately not PS2. :(
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'd be willing to get a physical copy of the game we play if it's not one of the rare/expensive ones. I still have my PS2 hooked up. #oldoldman

Emulation is tougher for me. Aside from the legal/ethical concerns, I'd have no idea how to do it, and I'm not keen on sitting at my PC after work after doing so all day long.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

As mentioned, there aren't a lot of hidden gem PS2 games on the PS4 store....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_4

Eternal Ring is one I somehow missed, but I'm sure several of you have played it.

Jak X? Okage? :lol:
argyle

Post by argyle »

What about what we physically own then? I mean, we didn't all burn our PS2 collections did we? :P I know I still have quite a few. Let's post what we have, and then maybe through some of us emulating & some of us owning we can broaden our options.

I'll put my collection up later, I have a site I keep track of it on but it hasn't been updated in a bit and I know I've sold some off.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:26 pmWhat about what we physically own then? I mean, we didn't all burn our PS2 collections did we? :P I know I still have quite a few.
I foolishly traded in my PS2, Xbox and all of the games that I had for each to GameStop for pocket change back when the Xbox 360 came out. It’s something that I regret to this day, but I also know that I wouldn’t play either very often.

By the way, I stopped playing The Warriors because it’s not something that I’m really in the mood to play right now. I don’t know what I’m in the mood to play.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Here it is:

https://cloud.collectorz.com/argylemonk ... lue=36;243

Had a thought while I was updating this - we could of course each play a different PS2 game, but just as long as it is an actual PS2 game, and then compare notes. Not exactly the same, but might end up being our best option. :)