The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey fam...did you guys know they made a whole ass Kingdom Hearts game with no Disney characters? Look!

Come to think of it, there's no original Kingdom Hearts characters either...but this is just a KH spinoff right? I mean, it's called Relink, it HAS to be...I wonder how it fits in... :P
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

That looks a whole heck of a lot better than Kingdom Hearts, I’ve been waiting for it for years and I’m glad that it finally has a release date. It’s going to be my birthday game since it comes out just a few days before my birthday.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:21 pm Disliking the character that you play as in a game isn’t a small issue to me, because if I don’t like the character that I’m playing as in a game then I have no interest in playing it. When I play a game I basically become the main character in it, and I need to like them to want to spend any time with them. This applies more to story and character driven action adventure games and RPGs, but it also applies to other genres such as action games, first person shooters, Metroidvanias and platformers as well just not quite to the same degree.

I want to like who I’m playing as in a game, the character that I play as is a big part of my overall enjoyment. I know that for some people that they can play as a stick and still be satisfied just as long as a game is fun, but that’s not the case for me. A game’s character is an important aspect of a game for me, and I need to like them in order for me to enjoy it.

I just happen to prefer female characters to male ones, because I don’t really like playing as dudes in games anymore. This hasn’t always been the case because I used to be fine playing as guys in games back in the day, but for some reason over the years I stopped liking playing as them more and more to the point now where I pretty much don’t want to play as them at all. There are exceptions of course such as with games like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, The Last of Us Part I, Uncharted and Yakuza where only male leads really work within the stories being told and they’re likable characters for the most part. But overall I prefer playing as female characters because I tend to find them more appealing to look at, have better personalities than one dimensional male tough guys and are often more acrobatic, agile, athletic, fast and quick which I prefer to more muscular, sluggish and tank-y male characters.
Well, no one can say you don't have your reasons, ha. I'm not sure I'd enjoy gaming much if I had all your qualifiers, but I've certainly got my own as well.

As for Kingdom Hearts, I've still only played the first one back at release on PS2. I'm not a huge FF / Square fan, and I've loathed Disney for as long as I can remember, so yeah, I'm probably not the target audience. I gave the series a chance with the opener, and it wasn't awful, but I could take it or leave it, and so I left it. :P I still have the others in my backlog for whatever dumb reason though, and maybe I'll find the mood one day. The one thing I'll never forget with Kingdom Hearts though is that I was playing it at the time my child was born. (not the moment *of* you morons :P, but the time frame.)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:00 pmI'm not sure I'd enjoy gaming much if I had all your qualifiers, but I've certainly got my own as well.
I unfortunately don’t enjoy gaming as much now due to all of my current qualifiers, they limit what I want to play and somewhat dictate my overall enjoyment of what I do play.
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:36 pm Hey fam...did you guys know they made a whole ass Kingdom Hearts game with no Disney characters? Look!

Come to think of it, there's no original Kingdom Hearts characters either...but this is just a KH spinoff right? I mean, it's called Relink, it HAS to be...I wonder how it fits in... :P
Absolutely - it looks fantastic. Like Phase I've been watching this one since it was announced years ago. Mentioned it to someone recently and they said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, the fighting game" and I had to explain that the RPG was the original project that's been in development for a LONG time, the fighting game was just something they spun off during the dev process. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis