The Backlog Check-in Vol. 295: 8/26/23: Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle/Sea of Stars/Trine 5: A Clockwork Conspiracy Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 295: 8/26/23: Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle/Sea of Stars/Trine 5: A Clockwork Conspiracy Editio

Post by argyle »

Searched the boards to figure out why you chumps ignored my NFS Unbound recommendation but are all about Heat, then I found where Phase said Unbound is current-gen only. I keep forgetting you yahoos are still living in the past. :P

Seinfeld Living In The Past.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 295: 8/26/23: Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle/Sea of Stars/Trine 5: A Clockwork Conspiracy Editio

Post by canedaddy »

It's pretty nice back here in 2014.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm It's pretty nice back here in 2014.
Yeah...it probably is... :(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm It's pretty nice back here in 2014.
2014?!? What's life like in the future???

:P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 amGonna jump back into Ys IX.
I ended up quitting it in chapter 6 because the repetition of it became too much for me, but perhaps that won’t be an issue for you.
argyle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 amI've been looking forward to Sea of Stars, so I may check that out since it's hitting Gamepass day-1.
I’ve been looking forward to it since it was first announced, but I’m still going to wait to get it when it’s on sale because I’m just not in the mood for it right now. The same is true for Trine 5 as well which also comes out this week. I have Trine 1-4, but I’ve only played the first so there’s no rush for me to get the fifth. However, I do plan on buying Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle on day one this week because I’ve been looking forward to it since it was first announced as well, and it’s only $39.99 with a physical release.
argyle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:46 am
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:19 amI miss the original Xbox days where I could put a music CD in the console and copy the songs onto it, and in games such as racing games I could choose to play my own soundtrack. That was one of the coolest features of the console, and I don’t know why it hasn’t been in any other console since.
I agree - I've had this exact same thought several times. It's odd that this feature just went away.
Yeah, the Xbox 360 doesn’t even have it. As much as I’m enjoying Need For Speed Heat, I would be enjoying it a whole heck of a lot more if I could play my own soundtrack in it.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:29 pmI'm glad I'm playing Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. I've learned something.

"The man takes his prick and puts it in the woman's cunny and plants a seed." This was a mother describing things to her child who never knew his father and had been living isolated in the woods since birth.
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:29 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:42 pmI thought that you were saying that you wouldn’t get the true ending unless you collected all of the collectibles, I didn’t realize that you were just wondering if you would or not. I looked it up, and it appears to only have one ending. I’m going to buy it this week because it’s currently on sale for $4.49.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. (no female protag. Oh well, you gave it a shot. :P)
I think that I might be fine playing as a male protagonist in this game since like I previously stated the story seems relatable because I used to get angry when my younger brother got into my things as well, so for $4.49 I’m willing to take a chance.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:35 pm
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:19 amI’ve been playing Need For Speed Heat, and it’s actually quite good. It’s the best NFS game in years. It reminds me a lot of Most Wanted (2005) which is my favorite NFS game. It’s open world taking place in a fictional city similar to Miami Florida. You choose a character, and can customize their hair and clothes. They’re featured in the story scenes, and are voiced. The story so far has been the usual rookie racer trying to move up in the ranks of racing. It’s been good enough to give an incentive to the racing.
Phaseknox wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:19 amI’ve played a lot of Need For Speed Heat, and it’s the best arcade racing game that I’ve played since Midnight Club: Los Angeles and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005).
You have gotten my attention! Sounds like it's right up my alley.
I have no doubt that you will like it because you liked Need For Speed Payback, and it’s a lot better than that. The night races feel a lot like Midnight Club: Los Angeles, and I know that’s one of your favorite racing games. It’s one of mine, too. It’s too bad that there hasn’t been another one, but Heat fills the void IMO.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:35 pmIt's quite possible the next game I play will be Need for Speed Heat. :o
argyle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:29 pmSearched the boards to figure out why you chumps ignored my NFS Unbound recommendation but are all about Heat, then I found where Phase said Unbound is current-gen only. I keep forgetting you yahoos are still living in the past. :P
Have you played Heat? Some reviews claim that it’s better than Unbound, except for its soundtrack. They say that Unbound’s soundtrack is a lot better which is most likely due to the complaints that Heat’s soundtrack received, and rightfully so. But reviews are still fairly positive for Unbound, and I definitely plan on getting it when I get a PS5. But I’m still in no rush, because not only do I have hundreds of PS4 games there’s still more coming out that I want as well. Heck, three come out this week alone. At this rate I won’t get a PS5 until the PS6 is out. :P
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Ok, I did say I wanted a racing arc and Heat sounds ok. I thought about doing Payback because a good Fast and Furious game would be nice. We'll see...it won't be anytime soon but it's good to have a suggestion when I get the itch, thanks 👍🏾

Played: a lot man. I just can't find anything to grab me. Wasteland 3, Shadowrun Returns, ...Ishin (j, I hope we can still be friends :cry: ), Hades, Slay the Spire, Tokyo Xanadu, Yakuza 4?, Trails of Cold Steel (it is very slowly getting better...please never play these games. You're welcome).

Bought: nothing.

Beat: nothing

This week: ok, I found out (maybe shout-out to Phase for mentioning it I think) that Divinity Original Sin 2 has pre made characters. Oh my God, I need this at my point in this crpg journey. So this, Yakuza 4 and something else real slight like Slay the Spire.

Ok, let me explain: j. I tried really, really hard. I absolutely hate the weapon crafting nonsense in Ishin. I don't think I can do it for more than a chapter. I feel underpowered all the time. I don't like the orb leveling in this game. I don't like following a path like this unless it's like 0 where I level willy bully because of the money gimmick. It just feels...bad. I go to Yakuza/Like A Dragon for the power fantasy. This isn't that. It's the same way I felt about Dead Souls. I will chip away at because Yakuza but it's going to take forever.

Wasteland 3 is great. I am not equipped to handle it yet. It's overwhelming. I look forward to going back to it

The Falcom games. I see the appeal. Xanadu is too high school. Trails is sloooooooooow. But I get it and like it.

Hades is fine. I see the appeal. Slay the Spire will take over my life if I don't play it in spurts.

Shadowrun Returns is too basic. I don't hate it. It's just bland.

Yakuza 4. It just feels good. I like this feeling. I stopped last time right before I had to start cabaret stuff. Going to muscle through and beat this one again. I think the whole summer I just wanted some Yakuza ass Yakuza. :)

Oh and argyle, when they release the PS5 pro/slim, I will get one. Also, that portal thing coming out that everyone hates is EXACTLY what I have wanted for years (no, remote play via Vita didn't do it for me). I would love to game while my wife watches crime nonsense so we could chat and be in each other's company :) .
Last edited by crimson_tide on Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm This week: ok, I found out (maybe shout-out to Phase for mentioning it I think) that Divinity Original Sin 2 has pre made characters. Oh my God, I need this at my point in this crpg journey.
Yeah man. And it's an interesting group rather than the lame-o one-noters you might expect. I really enjoyed that game.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Cool beans, I am booting it up tonight, here's to hoping!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm Ok, I did say I wanted a racing arc and Heat sounds ok. I thought about doing Payback because a good Fast and Furious game would be nice. We'll see...it won't be anytime soon but it's good to have a suggestion when I get the itch, thanks 👍🏾
You might like Need For Speed Payback, it’s not bad. But I personally think that Heat is better.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pmPlayed: a lot man. I just can't find anything to grab me. Wasteland 3, Shadowrun Returns, ...Ishin (j, I hope we can still be friends :cry: ), Hades, Slay the Spire, Tokyo Xanadu, Yakuza 4?, Trails of Cold Steel (it is very slowly getting better...please never play these games. You're welcome).
I played three of those (Tokyo Xanadu, Trails of Cold Steel, Yakuza 4), and while they all appealed to me at first I eventually stopped playing them. I plan on playing Yakuza 4 again when I get in the mood to marathon Yakuza 1-6, but it’s unlikely that I’ll ever play the other two again.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pmWasteland 3 is great. I am not equipped to handle it yet. It's overwhelming.
That’s why I haven’t started any of my CRPGs yet, because I know that they’re going to be a lot to take on when it comes to learning and understanding them. I have to be in the right mood to play games like them which hasn’t been lately.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pmThe Falcom games. I see the appeal. Xanadu is too high school. Trails is sloooooooooow. But I get it and like it.
Falcom RPGs usually appeal to me for a while, but then I reach a point in them when I lose interest in them. The only two of their RPGs that I’ve played all the way through are Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana both of which I really enjoyed. But as for Tokyo Xanadu, Trails of Cold Steel and Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, I reached a point in all of them where I got bored and stopped playing them.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pmwhen they release the PS5 pro/slim, I will get one.
Yeah, I plan on getting a PS5 when they release the Pro which is rumored to come out holiday 2024. But I’m thinking that might even be too soon for me to get one, because I have hundreds of PS4 games with more still coming out that I want.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:53 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:49 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm This week: ok, I found out (maybe shout-out to Phase for mentioning it I think) that Divinity Original Sin 2 has pre made characters. Oh my God, I need this at my point in this crpg journey.
Yeah man. And it's an interesting group rather than the lame-o one-noters you might expect. I really enjoyed that game.
Cool beans, I am booting it up tonight, here's to hoping!
I’m curious to hear what you think of this game. I enjoyed it at first, but it wasn’t long before it started to feel like a slog to me.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:46 pm Ok, let me explain: j. I tried really, really hard. I absolutely hate the weapon crafting nonsense in Ishin. I don't think I can do it for more than a chapter. I feel underpowered all the time. I don't like the orb leveling in this game. I don't like following a path like this unless it's like 0 where I level willy bully because of the money gimmick. It just feels...bad. I go to Yakuza/Like A Dragon for the power fantasy. This isn't that. It's the same way I felt about Dead Souls. I will chip away at because Yakuza but it's going to take forever.
I didn't do much weapon crafting either. I believe you'll get decent weapons as drops or from the story. The orb leveling is a little weird, and overall I was middle of the road on it...didn't love it, didn't hate it.
Last edited by jfissel on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.