The Backlog Check-in Vol. 300: 9/30/23: Assassin’s Creed Mirage/Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless/NHL 24 Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 300: 9/30/23: Assassin’s Creed Mirage/Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless/NHL 24 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:53 amIt's funny for me with Amalur. I remember playing and enjoying it, but can recall next to *nothing* about it, lol.
Because it’s not a very memorable experience. The graphics, gameplay and combat are all good, but the story and characters are mid. The story is too lore heavy IMO, and you play as an emotionless mute avatar with no voice or personality. Also, none of the side characters are interesting either. I was more accepting of it back in 2012 when I originally played it because it was more of the norm back then, but playing it recently has shown me how much RPGs have improved over the years especially when it comes to cinematic storytelling and lively voiced main protagonists with emotions and personalities. I know that some people such as yourself like playing as silent protagonists in games so that you can role play as them more or something, but that has never worked for me in games ever. I just feel like I’m playing as the village idiot that can’t talk, and lacks any emotions or personality. Silent protagonists are extremely antiquated and outdated in games these days, and unfortunately will ruin a game for me now since liking the character that I play as in a game is very important to me.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:53 amDid phase quit gaming and finally go outdoors? :P
No, I’ll never quit gaming. I’ve actually been sick for two weeks, and I’m just starting to feel better.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 300: 9/30/23: Assassin’s Creed Mirage/Disgaea 7: Vows of the Virtueless/NHL 24 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:49 pm No, I’ll never quit gaming. I’ve actually been sick for two weeks, and I’m just starting to feel better.
No, you'll quit.

:P

Hope you get back in your groove now that you're feeling better.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:49 pm Because it’s not a very memorable experience. The graphics, gameplay and combat are all good, but the story and characters are mid. The story is too lore heavy IMO, and you play as an emotionless mute avatar with no voice or personality. Also, none of the side characters are interesting either. I was more accepting of it back in 2012 when I originally played it because it was more of the norm back then, but playing it recently has shown me how much RPGs have improved over the years especially when it comes to cinematic storytelling and lively voiced main protagonists with emotions and personalities. I know that some people such as yourself like playing as silent protagonists in games so that you can role play as them more or something, but that has never worked for me in games ever. I just feel like I’m playing as the village idiot that can’t talk, and lacks any emotions or personality. Silent protagonists are extremely antiquated and outdated in games these days, and unfortunately will ruin a game for me now since liking the character that I play as in a game is very important to me.
You're not wrong about the mute avatar, and the overall story isn't anything to write home about. It is ridiculous how you become the leader of every faction and whatnot.

But the world and its characters are very interesting to me. The Seelie/Unseelie Fae are unique, and there are lots of interesting tales in the side quests. While the main character is mute, everyone else is very well voiced.

But the gameplay is the main draw, and it's a blast. Such a great variety of weapons, all extremely fun to use. I can't think of any other RPG that does it so well.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:00 amYou're not wrong about the mute avatar, and the overall story isn't anything to write home about. It is ridiculous how you become the leader of every faction and whatnot.

But the world and its characters are very interesting to me. The Seelie/Unseelie Fae are unique, and there are lots of interesting tales in the side quests. While the main character is mute, everyone else is very well voiced.

But the gameplay is the main draw, and it's a blast. Such a great variety of weapons, all extremely fun to use. I can't think of any other RPG that does it so well.
Yeah, the game definitely has its good qualities. The world is big, colorful and varied, some characters, quests and dungeons are really good and the gameplay/combat are topnotch. Unfortunately, playing as an emotionless mute avatar instead of an actual character with a voice and personality was really taking away from my enjoyment of it again recently. The same thing happened when I played Dragon Age: Origins again recently as well.

Liking the character that I play as in a game is more important to me now than it used to be, it’s basically a requirement for me to enjoy a game now. And it’s hard for me to like a character that there’s nothing to like about because they’re basically a generic voiceless avatar that you control instead of actually feel like you’re role playing as. To me the main character that you play as in a game is the most important character in a game, so when they’re not really a character but just an avatar that you control it makes the experience a lot less enjoyable and interesting IMO.