The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:36 am
argyle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:45 pmThinking about finishing up Like A Dragon next (the first one), because I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG and I really wanna play Infinite Wealth. Gonna skip Gaiden & Ishi, I've determined they just put out too many Yakuza games for me - I feel like I'd have to play nothing BUT Yakuza if I wanted to keep up. :P
I have Yakuza 1-6 to play which I plan on playing back to back like one really long game, I also have Like a Dragon and both Judgment games and I’m going to get Infinite Wealth. I’m going to have to devote an entire year to just playing them. :P
you sure.gif
you sure.gif (2.06 MiB) Viewed 5807 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m guessing that it will come out either holiday 2024, or sometime in 2025.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:29 am
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:36 am
argyle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:45 pmThinking about finishing up Like A Dragon next (the first one), because I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG and I really wanna play Infinite Wealth. Gonna skip Gaiden & Ishi, I've determined they just put out too many Yakuza games for me - I feel like I'd have to play nothing BUT Yakuza if I wanted to keep up. :P
I have Yakuza 1-6 to play which I plan on playing back to back like one really long game, I also have Like a Dragon and both Judgment games and I’m going to get Infinite Wealth. I’m going to have to devote an entire year to just playing them. :P

you sure.gif
Lol, I was thinking the same. I would wager *any* amount of money that phase doesn't get through 2 straight games (probably not even 1) before setting it aside and being side-tracked by something else.

"I was enjoying it, but yadda yadda yadda (insert reason, repetitive, etc etc), I'll come back to it later." :P Cycle repeats for eternity.

Love ya phase, but sometimes self awareness ain't yo thang. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Anyone else get a message from reddit saying that our subreddit will be closed down if we don't respond soon?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:40 am Image
I’m guessing that it will come out either holiday 2024, or sometime in 2025.
I am cautiously optimistic, love GTA.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:46 pm
argyle wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:29 amyou sure.gif
Lol, I was thinking the same. I would wager *any* amount of money that phase doesn't get through 2 straight games (probably not even 1) before setting it aside and being side-tracked by something else.

"I was enjoying it, but yadda yadda yadda (insert reason, repetitive, etc etc), I'll come back to it later." :P Cycle repeats for eternity.
That could happen of course given my track record, but I played and finished all of the Uncharted games back to back so I’m thinking that I could do the same with all of the Yakuza games as well. We’ll see.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:16 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:46 pm
argyle wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:29 amyou sure.gif

That could happen of course given my track record, but I played and finished all of the Uncharted games back to back so I’m thinking that I could do the same with all of the Yakuza games as well. We’ll see.
Ok. As I said though, I would wager *any* amount of money against. (without your knowledge of the bet, of course.)

And the Yakuza games are not easy, breezy, brief Uncharted games. I mean if you ignore all the side content, they're not necessarily super long, but still, who would play them like that, and even then they're meatier than Uncharted - in terms of length. And you'd not be able to tolerate looking at / "being" a dude for so long. :P

But anyway, I hope you do it. I'd love to hear your impressions of such a thorough series run. I've only played the original on PS2 and 0 on PS4, and I loved them both, even in spite of the horrible dub in the PS2 original. Great games. I've got Kiwami 1, 2 and 3-6 in my Steam backlog, and I'm hopeful to play some more of the series whenever I get around to it. I haven't picked up any of the turn-based games yet, but I plan to.

I'm also, referring to your other post, really excited for GTA VI. I know many are skeptical, given the current world and gaming climate, but I'm sure it will be a fun time.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:31 pmthe Yakuza games are not easy, breezy, brief Uncharted games. I mean if you ignore all the side content, they're not necessarily super long, but still, who would play them like that, and even then they're meatier than Uncharted - in terms of length. And you'd not be able to tolerate looking at / "being" a dude for so long. :P
I realize that the Yakuza games are longer than the Uncharted games, but part of what makes them long are their stories and running back and forth a lot getting into random battles and talking with NPCs. I only do the main and side quests in them, I don’t bother with all of the optional filler activities. And Kazuma Kiryu is one of the few male video game protagonists that I like, so I don’t mind playing as him.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:31 pmI'm also, referring to your other post, really excited for GTA VI. I know many are skeptical, given the current world and gaming climate, but I'm sure it will be a fun time.
I’m personally not skeptical about it at all, I really have no doubt that it’s going to be great considering how good all of the games in the series are. I admit that if you just played as a dude or dudes like in the previous games then I wouldn’t be interested in it, but since you play as a male and female duo I am. My only concern is how it’s going to be done in the game, because I don’t want to play as the dude at all.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:14 pm I’m personally not skeptical about it at all, I really have no doubt that it’s going to be great considering how good all of the games in the series are. I admit that if you just played as a dude or dudes like in the previous games then I wouldn’t be interested in it, but since you play as a male and female duo I am. My only concern is how it’s going to be done in the game, because I don’t want to play as the dude at all.
The GTA formula is just a fun time, so I don't think it will be any different with the new entry, although I could see some "messaging" that rubs some the wrong way. I'm not too sensitive to that stuff, even if I don't always like it, especially if it feels forced, but I just want to have a good time.

And what's this about a reddit thing? I didn't even know (or forgot) there was a reddit aspect to this forum. Maybe I've missed out on so much, lol.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:47 pm And what's this about a reddit thing? I didn't even know (or forgot) there was a reddit aspect to this forum. Maybe I've missed out on so much, lol.
It's not been used for 6 years (when we transitioned to this forum I think?). I just followed the instructions by banning that one user and it should be ok if we ever want to use it. r/ps2backlog