The Backlog Check-in Vol. 308: 11/25/23: Turnip Boy Robs a Bank Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 308: 11/25/23: Turnip Boy Robs a Bank Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Persona 4 Golden

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Persona 4 Golden

Added: Call of the Sea, Chrome Wolf, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Kult: Hex Mortis, Sifu, A Space for the Unbound, The Tenth Line

Games releasing this week
American Truck Simulator - Kansas
Arcadian Atlas
Batman: Arkham Trilogy
Black Clover M: Rise of the Wizard King
Calico
Corbid! A Colorful Adventure
Cricket 24
Cross Blitz
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
Duke Nukem Collection 1
Duke Nukem Collection 2
Dune: Spice Wars
Forest Grove
Gangs of Sherwood
Gothic II Complete Classic
Hawked
Hitman: Blood Money Reprisal
Jet Force Gemini
Jurassic World Evolution 2: Cretaceous Predator Pack
Last Train Home
Lawmage Academy
The Lost Legends of Redwall: The Scout Anthology
Motesolo: No Girlfriend Since Birth
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Pirates of the Disturbance
Orten Was the Case
Pinball M
Pixel Cafe
Project Downfall
Remedium - Act 2
Roots of Pacha
Sanguivore: Twenty Below
SteamWorld Build
Stranger Things VR
Suicide Guy
Tevi
This Means Warp
Toasterball
Trip World Dx
Turnip Boy Robs a Bank
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion Remastered
The Walking Dead: Destinies
Wildshade: Unicorn Champions
Wizordum
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 308: 11/25/23: Turnip Boy Robs a Bank Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Rifftrax: The Game (PS4), Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (re-added)

Last week: Finished nothing, played Robocop & Mario Wonder

This week: Same

I'm in for Crim's idea of letting others pick from a list of games in our backlog. I have a main game I plan on starting once I finish Robo, but I usually have 2 running anyway so I can work up a list for that. :)

And I agree, Black Friday sales really sucked this year. I saw a few articles touting Breath of the Wild for $40 as being a great deal. Seriously? Game was a Switch launch title, it's almost 7 years old now! I did place a Play-Asia order last week that will hopefully be here soon (I sprung for the faster shipping this time).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Ok, hope you all had a happy turkey day. I got a nasty bug, and I've been munching raw garlic and cloves to try and sort it. (I rarely ever take any medicine, or get sick for that matter, but I sure did this time. I am the walking dead, lol.)

I've taken a look at a handful of games I'd like to play next, and in honor of crim's suggestion, I'll thank you all to rank them to decide for me. I chose more than 5. I could have chosen more than 50...or 1000. :P There are so many games in my backlog I want to play. Anyway, what I'm requesting is that you all send me a PM with your order so that everyone avoids influencing each other. I'll tally everything up once everyone has ranked things by giving every game a point total based on you guys' ranks. 10 points for 1st place and all the way down to 1 point for last place. I'll compile all of your rankings and the one with the most points will be what I play next. In the event of a tie, I'll select one of you at random to make the final selection. Capiche?

So, here are my 10 choices (in no order of preference obviously):

(PS2) Kuon
(PS2) Devil Kings
(PS2) Fatal Frame II
(PC) Amnesia The Dark Descent
(PC) Disco Elysium
(PC) Gothic 1
(PC) The Guild II Renaissance
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PC) Mount & Blade
(Dreamcast) Illbleed

If for some reason any of you don't wan to bother with this, that's fine. Just say so in the thread if you don't mind. Thanks for indulging me and thank you crim for the fun idea! If you do rank them, I'd like it if you at least familiarize yourselves a little for games you don't know anything about before ranking them. (read a short review or watch a brief youtube review so that you aren't ranking blindly) Too high maintenance?

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34

I'm in the last area and should finish the main game this week. Then I'll move on to the new DLC.

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am So, here are my 10 choices (in no order of preference obviously):

(PS2) Kuon
(PS2) Devil Kings
(PS2) Fatal Frame II
(PC) Amnesia The Dark Descent
(PC) Disco Elysium
(PC) Gothic 1
(PC) The Guild II Renaissance
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PC) Mount & Blade
(Dreamcast) Illbleed
1. Devil Kings (that one has always looked interesting to me)
2. Kuon (From Software horror should be up your alley)
3. Illbleed (sounds crazy)

Five from my list (no order) if anyone wants to help me choose one:

Alan Wake: Remastered
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Messenger
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm
01 - Yakuza: Like a Dragon
02 - Dragon Quest Builders 2
03 - Marvel's Spider-Man
04 - Alan Wake: Remastered
05 - The Messenger
That's my ranking. You love Yakuza, and I love LaD, so that had to be #1. I started to put Alan Wake higher, but I'm not sure how much you'd like it. The Messenger is a great game from what I played (about half?) but it's TOUGH.

I'm feelin' some PS4 games I've neglected for too long - here's my list:

Hat In Time

Mad Rat Dead

The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

The Wild At Heart

The Wonderful 101 Remastered

I haven't so much as booted up a single one of those. They all look really interesting and they're all very different from each other - honestly not sure which one I'd rather play, so that means I'll probably be happy with whichever one wins. :)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Wow, those all look very cool, and they all match what I think of as games you might enjoy. I'll go with...

1. The Wild at Heart -- That art style seems like pure argyle, and the gameplay looks fresh and fun. Adding that to my own wish list.
2. The Wonderful 101
3. Hat in Time
4. Mad Rat Dead
5. Ninja Saviors
isthatallyougot

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am Izzy says, "Like this please..."
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm Cane says:

:P Thanks for your input. I'll work it into the tally somehow, lol.

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm Five from my list (no order) if anyone wants to help me choose one:

Alan Wake: Remastered
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Messenger
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Here's what I'm thinking for you.

1) Marvel's Spider-Man

I know how much you generally enjoy open world games, and it was my goty a couple years ago. Gorgeous game, and super fun to boot. And I'm someone who generally can't stand all the Marvel movies, etc. (But I have loved spidey since I was a kid, even if I don't follow the universe really.

2) Yakuza LaD

I know we all enjoy the series here, and I think the turn-based spin should be really fun and something you would enjoy.

3) Dragon Quest Builders 2

I know you love the main series, and this is a new flavor of that, I suppose. So, here it goes.

4) Alan Wake Remastered

I don't think of this genre when I think of your gaming interests, but it's relatively tame survival horror from what I've gathered. I still need to play the original myself.

5) The Messenger

As argyle mentioned, it's supposedly really tough. I have it in my backlog, and I've read a few reviews. I think it's going to be an excellent game whenever I get around to it, and not that you can't handle the challenge (hey you beat Elden Ring), but I just figured this was the least appealing from my perspective of what ytou might enjoy playing next.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:11 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am Izzy says, "Like this please..."
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm Cane says:

:P Thanks for your input. I'll work it into the tally somehow, lol.

Oops! :oops: :lol:
isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:42 pm
I'm feelin' some PS4 games I've neglected for too long - here's my list:

Hat In Time

Mad Rat Dead

The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

The Wild At Heart

The Wonderful 101 Remastered

I haven't so much as booted up a single one of those. They all look really interesting and they're all very different from each other - honestly not sure which one I'd rather play, so that means I'll probably be happy with whichever one wins. :)
I'm surely letting my own bias show here, but I haven't played TW101 yet, and I'm really eager to hear your impressions. I've read tons of reviews, and Platinum knows how to do it as far as I'm concerned, so with that:

1) TW101

I've read that, like so many P* games that there is just absurd levels of depth if you really get into it, although it can be fully enjoyed without digging so deep as well. And I know it's full of epic moments and just supposed to be a blast.

2) A Hat in time

Well loved platformer with some nice production values imo.

3) Mad Rat Dead

Looks really intriguing. I love music and rhythms games and the combination of that along with a platformer seems really fun. And the presentation seems quirky and engaging.

4) The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

Love the old-school look and feel, and it seems like there's some depth there too.

5) The Wild at Heart

I don't remember if you've played and/or enjoyed Pikmin before. I've had the second Gamecube entry in my backlog forever, but never felt compelled to pull the trigger. If I remembered if you were interested in that series, I may have moved it up a notch.

argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:25 pm I don't remember if you've played and/or enjoyed Pikmin before. I've had the second Gamecube entry in my backlog forever, but never felt compelled to pull the trigger. If I remembered if you were interested in that series, I may have moved it up a notch.
I've played the first Pikmin waaaay back when it first came out, and I've played a decent bit of the second but never finished it (I'm pretty sure I finished the first one, but my old man brain wouldn't swear to it). Been meaning to pickup the re-release of those that came out this year for the Switch. I have the 3rd one, and it's in my backlog, and the 4th is also on my "pickup eventually" list. So yeah, I dig 'em. ;)

Oh, and I also played & enjoyed both Overlord games, which were basically the evil take on the same concept.