The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

crimson_tide

The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey fam, game club time is upon us once again! We all have those games in our collection we know we're going to love but somehow have not played yet. So for the next game club, we will let other members choose what we will finally be giving a go! If you posted your list elsewhere, feel free to make your choice and catalog your adventures here. I will likely just post my list here for y'all to choose for me. If you are like our resident Phase and just happen to be invested in something that fits the tone and tenor of the club, feel free to join in as well. Here's to hoping you enjoy the game you were likely going to enjoy anyway :P !
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by isthatallyougot »

Here's my list again for you crim (and j. if he is participating).

(PS2) Kuon
(PS2) Devil Kings
(PS2) Fatal Frame II
(PC) Amnesia The Dark Descent
(PC) Disco Elysium
(PC) Gothic 1
(PC) The Guild II Renaissance
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PC) Mount & Blade
(Dreamcast) Illbleed

If you don't feel like ranking everything, that's ok, although I'd like it if you did. If you don't want to look at the other games at all, if you can rank the ones you want to rank and randomize the rest or just go on gut instinct that's fine too.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by argyle »

Here's my list from the other thread as well:
I'm feelin' some PS4 games I've neglected for too long - here's my list:

Hat In Time

Mad Rat Dead

The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

The Wild At Heart

The Wonderful 101 Remastered
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Alright, let's start with the old man because it's like the Sophiest choice ever :P :

1. Like A Dragon - My game of the year...whenever it came out. I think it beat P5 Royal. Anyway, you like Yakuza. You have beaten 6. I would love to see your old man take on Kasuga, the new protag. It has a job system. It's turn based because Kasuga LOVES DQ games. I chose this for all those reasons plus if you stuck with Kingdom of Amular for so long, I think you would see this beast through as well. Trust me, you'll love it. And then Infinite Wealth will be here (that's my 2024 game apparently, they made it super long :P ).

2. Spidey - It's the GOAT...THE GOAT!!!...but Miles Morales is better paced and tighter overall. But this is such a great game, you need to get on it at some point. You love these open world jammies, you would absolutely get a kick out of this sir. And what a humdinger of a story they cooked up!

3. DQ Builders 2 - I am finding this a great in between palette cleanser type game to keep going back to. It can be addictive as a main focus game of course but that's not how I am approaching it. It's breezy enough to pick up and put down.

4...The Messenger I guess? I played it for like ten minutes or so. it was fine.

5. Alan Wake. I don't care about Alan Wake at all. Survivor horror is absolutely not my jam.

Next up, izzy:

1. Disco Elysium - I want your take on this then I will dive in. This is a selfish choice :) .
2. Illbleed - I owned Illbleed! That game was dumb in the best way. Again, survival horror ain't my jam but Illbleed is goddamn hilarious. Would love to see your take on this. If I wasn't so curious what you would say about Disco Elysium, this would be my 1st choice.
3. The Guild 2 - This sounds VERY up your alley from what I glanced.
4. Kentucky Route Zero - Seems interesting. This seems very much like an izzy game.
5. Fatal Frame 2
6. Kuon - These are not my kind of hype but I think you might like them.
7. Gothic - Wow. Old school.
8. Mount and Blade - Not my kind of hype...
9. Amnesia - Kuon and FF2 are interesting looking. Amnesia I never saw the appeal of for some reason.
10. Devil Kings 2 - I do not think you would like this at all judging by your taste.

And finally, argyle my man:

1. TW101 - I didn't care for it but I think you have more tolerance for these character action games than I do. From what I did play, it seems right up your alley. And maybe you can give me some pointers ;) !

2. A Hat in Time - I think you like your 3D platformers. This seems like something you should have played and recommended to us already.

3. Wild at Heart - Do you Pikmin? I can't recall. If so, This should be your number 1. I put it at 3 because the other 2 seem more interesting to me but I get a puzzly Pikmin vibe from that trailer.

4. Mat Rat Dead - This trailer didn't do much for me.

5. Ninja Saviours - I got bored and stopped playing. It needed to not be a straight 2d beat em up but more like Turtles or Streets of Rage with multiple planes. It just didn't click with me.

Now here's my list. I'm going the izzy route of picking 10. My only caveat is I am only playing whatever it is until Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth arrives so It has to be able to be beaten by the time that arrives in late January:

Chained Echoes
Weird West
Fell Seal Arbiter's Mark
Captain Tsubasa Rise of New Champions
Marvel's Avengers
XCOM2
Spiritfarer
Daganronpa
Death End Request
Sakuna of Rice and Ruin
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 am Next up, izzy:

1. Disco Elysium - I want your take on this then I will dive in. This is a selfish choice :) .
2. Illbleed - I owned Illbleed! That game was dumb in the best way. Again, survival horror ain't my jam but Illbleed is goddamn hilarious. Would love to see your take on this. If I wasn't so curious what you would say about Disco Elysium, this would be my 1st choice.
3. The Guild 2 - This sounds VERY up your alley from what I glanced.
4. Kentucky Route Zero - Seems interesting. This seems very much like an izzy game.
5. Fatal Frame 2
6. Kuon - These are not my kind of hype but I think you might like them.
7. Gothic - Wow. Old school.
8. Mount and Blade - Not my kind of hype...
9. Amnesia - Kuon and FF2 are interesting looking. Amnesia I never saw the appeal of for some reason.
10. Devil Kings 2 - I do not think you would like this at all judging by your taste.
Thanks crim. There are still 4 possible winners if j. is participating. If not, then it's decided. Let us know j. so we can start up or wait for your ranks. I'm excited to get started.

Edit: I'm looking at your titles and reading/watching reviews. I'll get your list by the middle of the week if not sooner.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:34 pm Here's my list again for you crim (and j. if he is participating).

(PS2) Kuon
(PS2) Devil Kings
(PS2) Fatal Frame II
(PC) Amnesia The Dark Descent
(PC) Disco Elysium
(PC) Gothic 1
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(PC) Mount & Blade
(Dreamcast) Illbleed

If you don't feel like ranking everything, that's ok, although I'd like it if you did. If you don't want to look at the other games at all, if you can rank the ones you want to rank and randomize the rest or just go on gut instinct that's fine too.
My order after learning more about each game:

(PC) Disco Elysium...cool concept, looks like it's executed well, looks decent long
(PC) Amnesia The Dark Descent...seemed very creepy
(PC) Kentucky Route Zero
(Dreamcast) Illbleed...looks like they did some interesting stuff here, probably different from most horror games
(PS2) Kuon
(PS2) Fatal Frame II
(PC) Mount & Blade
(PC) Gothic 1
(PS2) Devil Kings
argyle wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:10 pm Here's my list from the other thread as well:
I'm feelin' some PS4 games I've neglected for too long - here's my list:

Hat In Time

Mad Rat Dead

The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors

The Wild At Heart

The Wonderful 101 Remastered
Hmmm, these were interesting for sure as I haven't heard of 4 of them.

A Hat in Time...looks very well made and I may put this on my radar
The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors...never heard of the original game(s) from back in the day, but looks really cool
The Wonderful 101: Remastered...that trailer was very chaotic, lol. I saw some neat things in there though
The Wild at Heart...No strong opinion on it s it didn't wow me, but I could be wrong
Mad Rat Dead...a cross between Patapon and a platformer? Could go either way
Last edited by jfissel on Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm Five from my list (no order) if anyone wants to help me choose one:

Alan Wake: Remastered
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Messenger
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
My order of top 3:
Yakuza: Like a Dragon...Yakuza + turn-based combat + fresh start with new characters = fun for cane
Marve's Spider-Man...terrific game, a must play for PS owners. Open world, fun traversal and combat, side stuff to complete if you're into that
Dragon Quest Builders 2...I beat this game, was pretty fun but I was mostly there for the DQ world and not the Minecraft-ish vibe
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Argyle
1. A Hat in Time
2. The Wild at Heart
3. The Wonderful 101 Remastered
4. The Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors
5. Mad Rat Dead

Canedaddy
1. Spider-Man
2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
3. Dragon Quest Builders 2
4. Alan Wake Remastered
5. The Messenger

Crimson_tide
1. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
2. Chained Echoes
3. Death End re;Quest
4. Avengers
5. Weird West
6. XCOM 2
7. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
8. Spiritfarer
9. Danganronpa
10. Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions

Isthatallyougot
1. Fatal Frame II
2. Kuon
3. Illbleed
4. Gothic
5. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
6. Devil Kings
7. Mount & Blade
8. Disco Elysium
9. The Guild II: Renaissance
10. Kentucky Route Zero
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isthatallyougot

I'm excited to play Kuon. I briefly started it up a couple years ago, but wasn't in the right mood to play it, so I set it aside. But I'm really looking forward to it now. I failed to really get into the Halloween gaming vibe this past season, so I'll make it a Christmas Halloween. :P

The results were pretty close with Disco Elysium, Fatal Frame 2 and Illbleed all having strong showings. Interesting that the winner didn't have a single first place vote. Thanks j and everyone else who voted and crim for the fun idea. If you're participating j, give us your list. And crim, I'm still working on yours. Probably tomorrow or Tuesday I'll have it sorted for you.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 am Alright, let's start with the old man because it's like the Sophiest choice ever :P :

1. Like A Dragon - My game of the year...whenever it came out. I think it beat P5 Royal. Anyway, you like Yakuza. You have beaten 6. I would love to see your old man take on Kasuga, the new protag. It has a job system. It's turn based because Kasuga LOVES DQ games. I chose this for all those reasons plus if you stuck with Kingdom of Amular for so long, I think you would see this beast through as well. Trust me, you'll love it. And then Infinite Wealth will be here (that's my 2024 game apparently, they made it super long :P ).

2. Spidey - It's the GOAT...THE GOAT!!!...but Miles Morales is better paced and tighter overall. But this is such a great game, you need to get on it at some point. You love these open world jammies, you would absolutely get a kick out of this sir. And what a humdinger of a story they cooked up!

3. DQ Builders 2 - I am finding this a great in between palette cleanser type game to keep going back to. It can be addictive as a main focus game of course but that's not how I am approaching it. It's breezy enough to pick up and put down.

4...The Messenger I guess? I played it for like ten minutes or so. it was fine.

5. Alan Wake. I don't care about Alan Wake at all. Survivor horror is absolutely not my jam.
jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:50 pm Five from my list (no order) if anyone wants to help me choose one:

Alan Wake: Remastered
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
The Messenger
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
My order of top 3:
Yakuza: Like a Dragon...Yakuza + turn-based combat + fresh start with new characters = fun for cane
Marve's Spider-Man...terrific game, a must play for PS owners. Open world, fun traversal and combat, side stuff to complete if you're into that
Dragon Quest Builders 2...I beat this game, was pretty fun but I was mostly there for the DQ world and not the Minecraft-ish vibe

Thanks, fellas!

The people have spoken. With three first-place votes and two second-places, my next game will be ...

Yakuza: Like a Dragon!