The Backlog Check-in Vol. 311: 12/16/23: The Rumble Fish+ Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 311: 12/16/23: The Rumble Fish+ Edition

Post by canedaddy »

It looks like I beat a grand total of 7 games this year. :P

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:26 pm I should actually have my list up in a timely manner this year. I've already compiled a list of the games I've either finished or played enough to judge this year. I'm not setting any unrealistic goals of "one more game I want to squeeze in" this time either. I just want to finish Jedi Survivor - which I'll do by Christmas, most likely - and I'd like to finish up the last little bit of Souldiers (which isn't much at all, but that also isn't 100% necessary for me to make my rankings).
That's good. I've done a pretty good job throughout the year taking good notes and making partial reviews as well, so I'm pretty sure I can at least start the countdown @ the chime of 2024 while polishing up things as I go. I got Souldiers in a recent bundle as well, so one day I'll find out if it's as good as you say for me.
canedaddy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:38 pm It looks like I beat a grand total of 7 games this year. :P

Oh man! Tim Conway (and Harvey Korman) was so funny. They had such great chemistry... at least in my memory. I haven't seen any of those skits in years. Maybe it wouldn't click anymore.

And hey, less games played, less to rank. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 pmI started up the game that I believe will be the pick via the combined votes from you guys and d-pad.
What is it, and what do you think of it so far?
isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 pmI also started trying to get my year-end reviews and rankings together. Hopefully I can have things mostly sorted by the new year so I can share them. I'd love to read you guys yearly reviews/ranks as well
I’ll be posting mine soon.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:16 pm What is it, and what do you think of it so far?

I wasn't going to share yet since I gave D-pad until the 22nd, but I guess they're done chiming in as well. The pic I posted is the combined totals for this forum and that one.

I shouldn't be surprised that Windbound won. There's a real bias with most players for 3D games - at least it seems that way to me. I have no preference. I just care about the overall quality, regardless of the way things are presented.

I've only played less than 1/2 hour, so I don't have much to say yet. I think it looks pretty attractive despite obviously being a bit lower budget. The water and the first island have an attractive, yet cartoony vibe. It seems like there's a decent amount of depth to things as well. There are three distinct difficulties, and I think I have to look at them more closely before really getting started. I want some challenge, and it looks like two of the three will provide that. I'm excited about the prospects of sailing around to various islands and uncovering a mystery. It's got an enticing flavor in the bit of time I've spent with it.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:16 pm I’ll be posting mine soon.
Great. I look forward to it. :)

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I'll be posting my 2022 list before the end of the year. I'm serious this time. I've had it in my draft messages since April. I rewrote the Lost Judgment entry several times now to make it not only readable but to properly express my issues with it in a concise manner. I'm shooting at posting it before Xmas. Yes, really :) .
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:28 pm I'll be posting my 2022 list before the end of the year. I'm serious this time. I've had it in my draft messages since April. I rewrote the Lost Judgment entry several times now to make it not only readable but to properly express my issues with it in a concise manner. I'm shooting at posting it before Xmas. Yes, really :) .
Ooh, exciting!

Imma guess without trying to remember everything you've played this year.

1. Yakuza this
2. Yakuza that
3-10. more Yakuza

:P

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to your (and everyone else's) 2023 recaps.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Excuse me SIR, but it's Like A Dragon now :geek: :P

I actually bounced off Ishin so I only played The Man Who Erased His Name this year. But last year's list was pretty varied. For 2023, I thought The Man Who Erased His Name would be a lock but even given the limited number of game I played, it actually has some real stiff competition for the 2023 crown :shock: ....
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:26 pm Excuse me SIR, but it's Like A Dragon now :geek: :P

I actually bounced off Ishin so I only played The Man Who Erased His Name this year. But last year's list was pretty varied. For 2023, I thought The Man Who Erased His Name would be a lock but even given the limited number of game I played, it actually has some real stiff competition for the 2023 crown :shock: ....
I'm so far behind on Yakuza I don't even know what it *is* anymore. :P

I need to at least make an attempt at catching up a bit. The problem is I've only played 0 and 1 (on PS2), so in order to progress, I feel like I need to essentially play a game I've already played again with Kiwami 1. Dangit Sega, SLOW DOWN! :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:28 pmI'll be posting my 2022 list before the end of the year. I'm serious this time.
I’ll believe it when I see it. :P And when can we expect to see your 2023 list, at the end of 2024? :lol:
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:47 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:28 pm I'll be posting my 2022 list before the end of the year. I'm serious this time. I've had it in my draft messages since April. I rewrote the Lost Judgment entry several times now to make it not only readable but to properly express my issues with it in a concise manner. I'm shooting at posting it before Xmas. Yes, really :) .
Ooh, exciting!

Imma guess without trying to remember everything you've played this year.

1. Yakuza this
2. Yakuza that
3-10. more Yakuza

:P

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to your (and everyone else's) 2023 recaps.
Hey now - there was a new Sonic game released this year! :P

I glanced over my list, and this is the first year in a long time that I'm gonna have a hard time narrowing down my list to 10. I played a lot of really good games this year. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis