The Backlog Check-in Vol 313: 12/30/23: Fantavision Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol 313: 12/30/23: Fantavision Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:38 am Heads up: The game is on sale for $1.99 on PSN right now. I'm about to pick it up along with a few others.
Wait, I paid $2.99 more than a year ago. They told me I was the PC master ra...

:P

Hope you enjoy it. I spent about 50 hours with it over the course of 10 or so runs, I guess. (just finished it earlier, and there is a new game +, but there doesn't seem to really be any incentive to pursue that outside the joy of playing more of it, if you like.) It doesn't need to take that long, but I made a few unfortunate errors as well as integrating the general learning curve since I didn't consult any FAQs or guides. I enjoy discovering how things work on my own, and I'd recommend that approach in this case since it was satisfying imho. I also had one *major* bug where I got stuck in the world geometry when I was close to the end, yet again. It was partially my fault as I was attempting to squeeze into a tight spot to get a mushroom, and when I got in I couldn't ever get back out, lol. But it says a lot that I was enjoying myself enough to keep going after that bug, and after so many hours. (I played on "survivalist" the whole way through, which sent me back to the beginning of chapter one upon each death. Several times I died in chapter 4 or 5, so I had to begin again after significant time investment multiple times. But there's a mode where you only get sent back to the beginning of the last chapter you were on too. So, you can decide your level of masochism. To be fair, it's not that hard, but the process of evaluating risks and just learning everything can cause you to be punished out of ignorance as you come to terms with everything.)

I will say that, in the end, I found a *best* vessel to use, and I spent so many hours not utilizing it properly. Navigation is snappy and agile when you do it this way, but I overlooked what should have been an obvious configuration for a long time. Once I bopped myself in the head and realized how much better it made things, I could have kicked myself for not being more thorough in investigating the various watercraft construction options. Made a *huge* difference. But, I just chalked it up to part of the journey that comes with learning and experimenting on your own. (I'm happy to share if you like, but I don't want to spoil your own journey.) Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's not perfect, and it has the signs of a lower budget in spots. It could have used some polish and refinement here and there, but the core of the game was, for me, remarkably enjoyable, especially in the sensations of freedom and exploration, just enjoying the adventure and riding the waves.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!