It's 2024 already?!? What the heck man!

isthatallyougot

Re: It's 2024 already?!? What the heck man!

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:46 pm Ah, 2 games I've played. Daxter was great! I remember renting Crystalis a few times and liking it, but I don't recall how far I got...probably should check it out again.
crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:32 pm I keep ALMOST buying that SNK anniversary collection exclusively for Crytalis. I ****ING LOVE that game, nice Izzy 😁!
Yeah, Crystalis is really good. It surprised me. I thought I'd like it way back in the day, but never had a chance to play it, but it holds up nicely imho.

11) Monster Tale (DS)

The DS was a machine, like the Wii in this juggernaut era of Nintendo, that had TONS of software available. In that sea of games, there are obviously going to be titles that get lost amidst the flotsam and the high-profile titles that garner all the attention. But with so much content, there's bound to be those mythical hidden gems that slip through the cracks. I try to stay as informed as I can - or at least I used to - so that I don't let such treasures become lost to me. I had Monster Tale in my backlog for years, and I knew of its generally positive reception and aforementioned “hidden gem” status among many, and I always wanted to try it for myself, and so I did in 2023.

We're introduced to Ellie, a girl who finds herself somehow stuck in this “otherworld” where a few kids from her human world have also somehow also stumbled into this alternate dimension. And these other kids, these rascals, are harnessing and yoking the power of the denizens of this world, this world of “monsters”, for their own selfish aims. The monsters here are the good guys and they have a legend that informs them of a hero that would come to save them, and that savior is, of course, *you* in your role as Ellie. The narrative was very “Saturday morning cartoon” and skewed much more childlike in terms of presentation, both in tone and visuals. I was initially not very engaged with it, but there was a real sweetness, innocence and goodness to the vibes that grew on me, and I appreciated that tone. As the story developed, despite the very G-rated mood, and I found the overall presentation to have an attractive quality in a very non-cynical way. It was a breath of fresh air in that regard, despite the youngster-centric delivery. It's not a game that you play *for* the story, but it did have a certain quality about it that I found refreshing. Suffice it to say that you'll be working to overcome these hardened kids and in the course of the unfolding yarn, you may find that some enemies become allies. Again, it's not deep literature here, but I must say that I did enjoy it more than I was expecting from first impressions.

As a part of the “prophecy” about the monster's world getting a savior, there is a *special* monster that ties into things, and as Ellie you meet this special creature in the form of a big-mouthed monster named “Chomp” at the outset. There was an interesting mixture of genres here, as it's primarily a Metroidvania, with its rectangular rooms, ability-locked progression, and percentage-based map. But there's also a tamagotchi-like monster raising aspect where you grow and develop Chomp by feeding him foods or other items that you buy and/or are dropped by foes. Chomp can switch between screens at your command and when you've got him on the bottom screen, he'll consume or “learn” from these drops/items which allows him to develop, and as he does so he can gain levels and morph into other forms all with their own abilities. This aspect was deeper than I was expecting, with many forms to explore. By the time I had finished, I had only developed about three forms to their max, and there were many more available, which gives the game some replay value if you want to see what Chomp can become in all his various expressions. When you call chomp up to the top screen, he's available to aid you in combat, using whatever moves he's learned and his current form allows, although his energy is drained, both through attacks and simply be being away from his safe haven in the lower screen, so there was an element of strategy that forced you to consider when to use him and when to let him rest so he didn't pass out from exhaustion and go into an extended state of “hibernation” where he would be unavailable for a little while. I thought the combat was fun when using him alongside Ellie. Things could get interesting as you controlled both Chomp's attacks and Ellie's, and there was a pleasant form of chaos on offer in the more engaging encounters with larger rooms of enemies. And Ellie's moves were responsive and fun to execute with an action-oriented focus. The gameplay in general was very nice, and I enjoyed the moment to moment act of simply playing. The fundamentals felt good and well-crafted. The animations were also crisp, and the feedback was solid, enhancing the positive feel of interaction. One aspect I particularly appreciated was the fact that if you continued pummeling monsters with attacks after they'd already died, juggling them with more strikes would result in you “milking” them for more drops, and it was always satisfying to squeeze more loot through that extra punishment. In terms of the map, things weren't overly large, but it wasn't a small world, to be sure. It was fun exploring and uncovering new areas, and I had a good time working my way around and discovering things. The soundtrack also had some nice, high energy pieces, although I found it a bit inconsistent in terms of quality and not entirely memorable.

As much as I enjoyed my time with Monster Tale, there were some aspects that didn't land for me. The environments were colorful and vibrant, but they weren't always interesting artistically. Because of genre similarities, it's hard not to compare the art and presentation with the better Igavania games, as unfair as that may be, and while there were some nice locales, things rarely felt particularly exciting visually. There was also an excessive amount of mandatory backtracking and criss-crossing the map that felt a bit like padding to me. Although to be fair to the developer, I think this was intended as an opportunity to evolve Chomp into different forms. He'd max out one form and there were many others to explore and without all the “go here, now go there” busy work, the game would have been shorter with much less combat and less room to explore the potential monster evolutions. At least, that's how it seemed to me. But it felt more forced than natural in the end, and that was a little inelegant and off-putting. Ellie's movement in the air was also more floaty than I liked. It wasn't poor, but I prefer a greater heft and weight to jumps and I didn't care for that lighter gravity feeling while she was airborne. I also found the dash move (double tap in a direction) to be a bit finicky and sometimes awkward to consistently reproduce. Perhaps most annoying was the fact that the game tells you where to go at all times (until very late in the game), so there was a lessened sense of finding your own way and earning your way forward.

But despite some missteps, I had a really fun time with Monster tale. It was a colorful and well-executed metroidvania / tamagotchi with a pleasing spirit. It took me a little over eight hours to complete, although it did feel like things ended a bit abruptly, but it was surely worth the time, and as mentioned, there's more to discover if one is inclined to plumb the forms available to Chomp. It's not on the level of the best metroidvanias I've played, but to be fair, it's more than a simple rehash of that formula, and I found it a very fun game overall, and certainly a game deserving of more attention than it got during the heyday of the Nintendo DS. 4/5..

10) Vexx (PS2)

3D platformers will always hold an appeal to me. They're kind of a bridge between eras of gaming and I simply enjoy a good mascot jumping collectathon. Clearly many of these games were inspired by the formative title that is Super Mario 64, and Acclaim looked to take their shot at the form with Vexx on the PS2. The similarities are immediately apparent. Rather than a castle, Vexx has a hub world that is a literal circle with “spokes” on the edges that unlock with the accumulation of the game's primary collectible - wraith hearts. There are similarly big open worlds that encourage exploration as you look to find secrets and discover all the various ways of unlocking these vital keys to progression. I have to say that the means of progress were nicely developed. In addition to the large and colorful worlds with plenty of verticality and nooks and crannies leading to secrets, there were a nice variety of ways in which you could gain access to a new heart. Among others, there were puzzles within levels. One in particular that was memorable involved being shrunken down (or in an oversized room - the condition was never really explained), stomping on the power button of the remote to power on a tv, then hitting the button on a gaming console on the other side of the room, and then finally standing on the controller joystick while you played a game of breakout while leaning your body to control it. (You had to beat the game to get the heart.) I thought that was a fun and creative puzzle to unlock that heart. There are plenty of multi-tiered puzzles to get hearts in addition to the common collect-x-number-of-things route of progress. So there's both the rote collectathon and puzzle mixture, and I thought Vexx did a good job of layering things in that way to add a nice sense of variety. Discovering new hearts remained fresh because of the mixed visual presentation of the different spoke worlds along with the aforementioned variety to gaining access to a new “key”. Each heart felt well earned and satisfying, whether due to the challenging platforming or the discovery of some secret - puzzle or otherwise. There were also a variety of little mini games that could garner a new heart. These little diversions weren't always super exciting, but they kept up the sense of diversity, and that was appreciated throughout.

As for the fundamental platforming, things mostly controlled really well. There were the standard jumps and double jumps/flips along with an extended long jump, a ground-pound and a variety of other moves. Vexx controlled in a very responsive manner and the actual platforming was mostly a joy. Things could get fairly challenging in spots, and were I not using save states, I could imagine getting pretty frustrated in some sections. I even did get a bit frustrated *with* the use of states in a couple places, so I imagine playing it purely straight could result in some raging. :P The extra lives were there, but they weren't as generous as the famous plumber, and I imagine it could be easy to run out unless you were entering and exiting levels repeatedly to “farm” more lives, which of course, is an option. I don't feel like my experience was diminished by saving outside the context of the game's intentions, however. In fact, I probably enjoyed it more because of it. But the bottom line is that the controls were smooth and fun and navigating the large levels and platforming from area to area remained engaging from beginning to end. There was also some combat as levels would be littered with a variety of foes. And you could dispatch them in a variety of ways, but just spamming the basic attack was sufficient most of the time and the combat felt forced and superfluous, despite it allowing you to fill a meter that would allow you to go into a rage state and shoot projectiles. It was usually more of a nuisance than necessary, and I avoided it as often as possible, preferring the platforming.

In terms of appearances, things were bright and colorful, and I found things to be attractive if sometimes more technically (for the era) than artistically. Vexx himself was a bit of an odd and try-hard sort of edgy, and that sense permeated a fair bit of the design. I wasn't turned off by the appearances, but things were a mix of highs and lows across the various worlds, depicting the familiar fire, ice, greenery, etc. stages you might expect in a platformer. In terms of narrative presentation, Vexx faltered and stumbled. In the first place, there simply wasn't much there - which is fine to me, but if you're going to make an effort, do it right. There were only a couple of cut-scenes along with “journal pages” you could collect in each world to further flesh out the story, but it had zero pull and I utterly ignored its low quality and content.

I'll also make mention of a familiar issue for the genre. The camera here was generally pretty good, but there were spots where it lost its mind and your vision could be completely obscured. There were also situations where you couldn't rotate fully around the character and I can't stand that. And the penalties for dying were harsh in terms of the collect x number of y in order to gain a heart as the counters for those were reset upon death - another aspect bettered by emulation in this case. Finally, the final boss fight was cheap and awkward and I *KNOW* I would have raged had I not used save states for that one. And it felt out of place with no weight to the villain and little context for the confrontation in a game that was *much* more about platforming than combat. Just odd and unnecessary.

All in all, though, I really enjoyed Vexx. I've read a variety of opinions about this game and they're all over the place. Some really loved it and some thought it was trash. I appreciated the solid mechanics and the diversity of large environments and means of progression. I felt continually pushed forward to find just one more heart, and that is the mark of a good game for me, when I just want to inch forward just a bit more on the journey. It's not an all-time classic for me, but it's better than plenty of platformers I've played. 4/5.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
isthatallyougot

9) Pony Island (PC)

Looking for something a little different, I fired up Pony Island on PC. I only knew that the presentation/title was at odds with the overall vibe of the game going in, and yeah, there are ponies, but it's not in the context a person would usually think of ponies, lol. The "world" you inhabit is within and/or looking at a computer screen, apparently trapped in some sort of digital hell. There is a story here that you're fed in small bites with details to uncover even after you've beaten the game. In short, it seems that you are dead, and the circumstances surrounding that death and who you were while living are there to be uncovered. But those ideas are secondary to dealing with the moment to moment aspects of your (now dead) "life". The predominant means of interaction are with an apparently earlier era computer system that is of a malevolent nature. The nuts and bolts are a combination of platforming, puzzle solving and horror. The platforming controls are handled with the mouse and start off simply but gradually increase in difficulty as you go from simply jumping over obstacles to jumping, hovering (with obtained wings), and fighting off foes and bosses with "pony lasers" as you avoid obstacles and target bad guys while avoiding hitting certain "enemies" that will send you back to the beginning of a section. It all seems simple enough, and it is in concept, but things escalate until it's a sort of awkward "rub your head and pat your belly" type of balancing act until you get it down. The platforming was surprisingly fun and well-executed, given its simplicity.

Another element is the inclusion of a good number of puzzles. These take a variety of forms, but the bulk of them are flow-chart/logic type puzzles where you have to direct a moving key by placing action command icons within boxes to alter the flow until the key ultimately finds its receptacle to move on. There are obstacles to avoid that will undo progress, returning the key to the start, and there are icons to influence the direction of movement and/or skipping areas of code that influence things in a variety of ways. Sometimes you have to also change numerical values by allowing the moving key to pass over certain counting elements that alter the total until you can get the figures right and then reconfigure the movement by switching inputs to finally direct the key home with all variables now correct. These were often fun and pretty clever, but a few were a little frustrating as you had to continually switch inputs for boxes. Thankfully, removing an input from any box paused the movement of the key, but it was still tricky to get things just right on the more difficult puzzles, but those were particularly satisfying once you got it right.

Finally, in terms of the horror elements, the computer system with which you interact or inhabit was really well done. The visuals are simple, but surprisingly full of personality and life, given their rudimentary nature. The method of navigation and progress was the primary driver of the unsettling sensations. The rules for this system *seemed* to have little logic, and the means of progression often felt hard to follow, random and ever-changing. I felt consistently disoriented due to the schizophrenic and twisted aspects of moving around the various menus and uncovering what mattered, what I could interact with and would push me forward amidst a sea of interesting world-building, but ultimately pointless noise. There was a persistent feeling of unease that was conveyed quite well because of this hellish and confusing digital world. You never feel like you've got any sense of comfort or stable ground under your feet, and there is this sensation of being manipulated and pushed in ways that are unfamiliar and out of control in a torturous hodgepodge of scattershot elements bombarding you from all sides. Pony Island just had its own set of rules that you gradually learned via experimentation, but they were certainly not obvious upon first inspection, predictable, or even consistent as things developed. There was also a nice blend of harsh and dissonant audio, which enhanced the tension and built a distinct and unnerving mood that was maintained throughout.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. Some of the tougher puzzle bits were a bit confusing at first and at times the platforming and combat challenges took a bit to overcome, but the feeling I'm left with after beating the game was of an incredibly interesting and very unique work. I spent about four and a half hours to make it to the finish, but undiscovered elements remain, judging by the achievements. If you have any interest in the strange or games with a distinct flavor all their own, and don't mind a bit of incoherence as you muddle your way through something, there's plenty to recommend here. I'm really glad I gave it a chance. 4/5.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:28 pm This is the type of game that would have benefited from an in-game map, or you could, in a really old-school manner, make your own.
That seems like it would be insane to do these days, but it didn't bother me at all when I played FF1 the first time on NES. I think I still have my hand-drawn maps in the box. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed Daxter. That was great back on PSP.

Nice to hear good things about Monster Tale. I have that in my small stash of DS games I never played.

I live pretty close to Assateague and Chincoteague... Pony Island is NOT what I expected. :lol:
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:53 am That seems like it would be insane to do these days, but it didn't bother me at all when I played FF1 the first time on NES. I think I still have my hand-drawn maps in the box. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed Daxter. That was great back on PSP.

Nice to hear good things about Monster Tale. I have that in my small stash of DS games I never played.

I live pretty close to Assateague and Chincoteague... Pony Island is NOT what I expected. :lol:
Yeah, it's a different sort of pony playground. :P

And if a game gets me to take out pen and paper and draw my own map, you can be sure it's a personal classic. I'm not against doing it, but I'd have to be really invested in that, likely old school, title.

8) Adventure Island (NES)

Growing up, I had an NES, but I was not as heavily invested in gaming as I grew to become. I played Mario, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! and a handful of others, but it was sporadic, no matter how fun I found it. And so I missed out on plenty of games of the era. As always, there are so many games of the past that I want to experience, and with that desire, I fired up Adventure Island. Having been on a bit of a platformer kick in early 2023, I was enjoying the simplicity and fun of that long-lived style of gaming. I knew little about Adventure Island - only that it was attractive looking with its colorful and sharp visuals and that it had a bit of a reputation for being challenging.

The most obvious thing on first inspection is the inspiration that it takes from Mario. The momentum, physics and tight controls really reminded me of Super Mario Bros. Everything was very responsive, and success or failure was execution dependent, always feeling like you knew what to do, even if you didn't do it right. It even has 8 worlds, each with four stages. And if you're going to draw inspiration from a platformer, the original Super Mario Bros. is certainly a good starting point. Of course, it separated itself in many ways, despite some fundamental similarities. Rather than a clock, you've got a health bar (energy level according to the manual) that gradually depletes as time moves. You replenish it by picking up fruits (or a less common bottle of milk that can refill your whole bar) that appear as you trigger them in typical left-to-right forward movement. These fruits don't stay on screen, so sometimes you're faced with a choice about making a risky platforming maneuver in order to address your dwindling life bar before losing the opportunity. In practice, there was usually plenty of fruit and you never felt too rushed, albeit with a couple of exceptions. There were a few levels that really pressed you for speedier execution, and that pressure made you really consider this aspect in these sections. There was also an egg (you break eggs for some upgrades) that you could break that would reveal an eggplant that would attach itself to you for a bit and would quickly deplete your health. You never know what is in an egg prior to breaking it, so until you know a stage, it's a risk/reward sort of thing. The eggplant wasn't common, but it was placed in some sinister spots where the game designers knew you'd likely be looking for a bottle of milk, or alternatively, simply have a real hard time avoiding it due to the level layout. This could be frustrating as you tried to avoid this trouble, even when you knew it was there in some of the more challenging areas. Besides the eggplant, tripping over stones also takes a bit of your energy, and can also, frustratingly, bump you into a deadly hazard or into a bottomless pit. Also, like Mario in his fire shooting form, Master Higgins (the protagonist here) picks up stone axes (and sometimes other secret and more powerful projectiles) to address the many enemies, both moving and stationary, that impede his path to the rescue of Princess Leilani who had been kidnapped by "The Evil Witch Doctor". (Fairly typical of the era, there is no setup for any of this outside of the manual, btw. It's pure platforming from the drop.) As for the actual platforming, it was really challenging. Things start off simply enough, and everything feels fun with a decent amount of resistance, but nothing extreme. However, as things progress, it all ramps up on a steep incline of difficulty as you contend with falling platforms that only *just* allow you to reach the next in time, jumps that require extreme precision and management of speed/momentum and finesse, running enemies coming in from behind and just a litany of obstacles that really challenge your genre skill, or at the very least your memorization. I would say this easily falls into the category of the old-school "Nintendo Hard" label. Sometimes it's easy to forget the way many older games used to be designed when we play predominantly modern games, often without too much sense of resistance to “winning”. To simply beat this game is a true and well-earned feat, even with the in-game “cheat” for unlimited continues that allows you to restart at the last level you were on upon death via collecting an item in the first stage along with a combination of controller inputs. The game knows how tough it is because it points you in the direction of this cheat within the short manual itself. I've read many reports of gamers who have tried unsuccessfully to beat Adventure Island for *decades* and that's *with* the in-game level skip. (kind of an old version of save states, lol) I can't imagine beating all 32 levels with the initial 3 lives you're given. And you don't gain extra lives easily. You don't earn your first point-based extra life until 50,000 points, which is a pretty good run all on its own. (There are other ways to earn lives, but they're in no way abundant.) But I did appreciate the overall and layered challenge on offer. There's real room for *mastery* here - the sort of sensation that isn't so prevalent in the "press x to win" gaming world of today. The meat of the game, if played perfectly (yeah right, ha), is probably under an hour. But to reach that level, you'd have to spend dozens, maybe hundreds of hours, if you ever could even get there. There's also a scored based system to shoot for which is a fun way to challenge yourself or others by getting the best single run you can manage. (If you're using the level-skip, your score starts over at “0” for the beginning of that run - wherever you are.) So there's incentive to start from 1-1 and build your score as high as possible as well, pushing yourself for a personal best. And of course, that's on top of the traditional memorization of levels, hazards and enemies patterns in harmony with mechanical execution. Such a theoretically “short” game has untold hours of challenge for the dedicated, and I really love that *dense* sensation when it's well-executed like it was here. There's so *much* contained within relatively little content, and that sort of design always puts a smile on my face. And the contrast of the whimsical music and presentation against with the smack-you-in-the-face challenge just makes me giggle with delight.

There were some elements that I didn't like or found strange. The stages could use some more variation as they repeated similar visual themes throughout. The final bosses of each area are, inexplicably, the easiest part of the game by a long shot, and they're all the same in appearance and pattern. It felt really at odds with the rest of the experience. One of the "upgrades" you get by cracking eggs is a skateboard to ride on. And while it's fun and propels you forward more quickly, it could often put you in tough spots because of the forced, albeit variable in terms of speed, forward movement. I often found it better to avoid this addition, preferring to run and jump without the forced movement. The high skill level for the execution some jumps simply made the skateboard more of a nuisance than benefit. The game also structured many of its secrets in a strange way. They'd often appear behind you as you moved forward, but because of time constraints, you were urged to make haste. So, you'd see these appear and quickly vanish behind you as you rushed for the goal. Also, it's single-hit death for any mistake. (The skateboard grants you freedom to take a hit, but getting bumped off it by losing it often propels you into another obstacle and your ultimate death anyway.) There's really no room for error, which...brings me to my biggest frustration with this game. AREA 8, ROUND 3, SECTION 4. Man o man! This part of the game offers absolutely no room for anything other than absolute perfection. Researching the history, fans and players of this game, I found so much information about this notorious section. It's like it has a life of its own, apart from the rest of the game. I'm reluctant to go into any detail because of the risk of an unhealthy blood-pressure spike. :P If you're prone to any fits of rage from gaming, please just walk away now and be glad that you can remain blissfully ignorant. As hard as the game could be prior to this spot, this was just a moment of the game saying, "Yeah, you want to beat this, good luck!" while it cackled maniacally at your futile hopes and efforts. I tried this spot many, many times, and while getting close, I just couldn't do it. (I'm not saying I've permanently given up, but I had to take a long break for the sake of my sanity, ha.) Maybe I'll go back and accomplish that and by doing so, I'm sure I'd feel a sense of relief more than any sense of joy - that's how brutal this area is. So maybe I'll forever remain *close* to victory without tasting it, but I feel no shame in acknowledging that I just couldn't do it - if indeed I never do. That's not to say that I didn't have fun with this game. I really did. I enjoyed it so much. but there's a point where challenge tips into the absurd, making things more tedious than enjoyable, and that final stretch just went a notch too far. But despite some problems, including that absurd area, I truly found this to be a really fun and challenging ride. I can see myself going back to it to challenge myself for best score runs as well as *MAYBE* trying to finally get over that final hump. If you enjoy pure platforming and well-executed mechanics, Adventure Island is well worth your time. I've spent close to 20 hours with it, and had a very good time overall. 4/5.

isthatallyougot

7) Mystery Dungeon : Shiren the Wanderer (DS)

The roguelike genre can be pretty polarizing. The detractors sometimes cite the randomization (procedural generation), perma-death (in some cases), repetitive content, and “boring” turn-based action as lazy and lacking that hand-crafted touch. While fans love the depth of strategy, systems and challenge layered upon those foundations. The Nintendo DS isn't known as a hard-core games machine, probably due to the glut of shovelware tossed upon the widely adopted device. But there's such tremendous depth of content on the system, and as evidence of that I introduce (to the unfamiliar) Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, an aforementioned roguelike that is possibly as hard-core a game as most (mainstream) gamers are ever likely to play.

The premise is that you (among other adventurers in the tale) are on a quest to reach the land of the Golden Condor and find the fabled fowl which, according to legend, is also the location of the legendary El Dorado. The achievement of this perilous path has the ability to grant wishes, and is, therefore, passionately sought after. You start in a little village and venture forth across 30 levels in this dungeon crawl. Things seem to start out simple enough. As you move or take any other action, all foes in the “room” do the same in this turn-based affair. You don't even have a weapon to start and so it's hand to hand (or whatever appendage or projectile your enemy may have) until you acquire one, which will happen in short order. In addition to managing your HP via consumables, you must deal with hunger by eating rice balls (big and small) or you'll pass out and die as well. It's also possible to increase your stomach capacity in order to hold more energy later on in the game. Each area is made up of a group of levels with a consistent theme like forest, dungeon, swamp and the like. And you'll encounter the same set of foes within each biome as you journey forth. All enemies have differing strengths and abilities that you must account for with your loadout. For example, there is a walrus that will attempt to steal your money and teleport away. If you don't want to chase it, you either must kill it before it takes your funds or, as you'll find, for every “paper” there is a corresponding pair of “scissors”. In this particular case, there is a “walrus shield" that prevents the nabbing of your loot. There are floating enemies at some point that are best dealt with using an air-based blade, and so on. For every situation and set of abilities and threats, there are counterbalances offered (if found) that make the game a nice dance of strategy and preparation. But lessons are learned the hard way in Shiren. You'll not know any of the struggles ahead until you've taken some serious gut punches and found yourself sobbing and tending your wounds as you prepare to venture forth again. The life of the wanderer is no easy task, and you'll consistently be encountering circumstances and obstacles that stretch you, forcing you to learn and adapt in order to get ever closer to that mythical land holding the promise of wishes-fulfilled. This game is not for the impatient, as is true with most roguelikes. It very often has that feel of 2 steps forward and 1.99 back as you *inch* and struggle your way forward in a real fight for progress. There is a hint of mercy and forgiveness embedded in the world, however. You have certain storage areas scattered about on your journey, some of which are always accessible and some which must be unlocked. There you can place items you wish to keep in the event of your (certain) death, so that when you begin *yet again*, you at least have the comfort of some things you have deemed worth holding onto as you trudge forward, hoping to get just a little further. But your level (upon death) is reset to 1 and you lose all held gear and upgrades to your character that you possessed. It can be quite deflating in that regard. More on that later. But the essence of interacting with the world was simple to understand and provided the tools and knowledge to confront your great task, whether learning by trial and error or hearing a bit of helpful information from other wandering NPCs.

And there are persistent upgrades and changes to the world you can experience along the way. There are recruitable characters that, once you've satisfied certain conditions, can be found on repeated trips to add some aid on your quest. There are little stories where you can help people along your journey that, in one instance as example, results in the opening of a useful restaurant on a mountaintop. There are even some bits of humor as you encounter a madman obsessed with making jars (a very useful item in Shiren with *many* applications, depending on type)...a perfectionist so tortured by his art that he smashes most all of his creations in a fit of rage as he continues his quest for the perfect jar. There's plenty of personality sprinkled about the repeated journeys to add some depth and persistence to otherwise simple rote adventuring. So it's nice to look for those added elements to add some variety and fun along the (many) trips you'll be making. Just looking at the adventure log will give you an idea of how much there is to find, as it is peppered with question marks denoting unfound things or unfulfilled conditions within the world. There's plenty to bite into to make things feel more vibrant and alive in contrast to the inevitable retreading of your steps so many times, and I really appreciated that, even if the bulk of the experience is repetition, learning and preparation.

In terms of presentation, I was pleased with Shiren. Visually I found the game to be very attractive in an old-school 16-bit way. There's plenty of personality within the pixel graphics that conveys a cute (and contrasting with the nature of the game) charm to the squat and likeable characters, and the regions have enough little touches to be engaging and interesting, despite the repeated patterns due to procedural generation. And the sound was very nice chip-tunes that expressed both a lighthearted playfulness and serious danger, as the situation called for. And the general sound effects added nice flavor and audio information to the enemies, combat and events you'd encounter along the way. If you're a fan of SNES stylings, it's safe to say you'd be satisfied here as well.

As much as I loved so much about Shiren, I have to say that the game is absolutely brutal in terms of challenge. You must be deliberate and methodical in both your actions (every single step) and decisions about what to carry, when to progress forward and when to hold back and grind for levels, items and upgrades. If you don't use the utmost care - and often even if you do - you can get a game over in an instant. (Getting turned into a rice ball is so humiliating and impotence-inducing) I'll give a couple of examples. In one run, I was making good progress in terms of upgrading my sword and shield and accumulating items and encountered the “Rice Ball Boss”, an evolution of the normal rice ball enemy. Well, I was turned into said rice ball which naturally renders you virtually helpless - can't use inventory or really attack because, you know, you're now a rice ball, lol. And before I knew it, I had succumbed to the most embarrassing of defeats. All you can do is run, and hope to turn back into Shiren, and I failed to do so in time. In Bamboo Village, which you encounter after level 4, there's a shop at the entrance. To get to this area is no great challenge, to be clear, but even in the relative “safety” of a shop in a town, you're not truly safe. In order to sell what you've got, you simply put your items on the floor and talk to the shopkeeper who will inform you what he'll pay. Well, I was in the process of doing just that on one visit, and I was facing the shop keeper as I selected an item. But there are a variety of options for anything you interact with in your inventory and I intended to use “put” to set it on the ground, but was hurriedly going through the motions and accidentally selected “throw” which, since I was facing the shop keeper, caused me to toss this item in his direction. Well, he instantly crossed the room after being smacked with this item and one-shotted me. Game over. Back to the beginning. Granted, I can see having a consequence in this case, and it was amusing - if darkly so, but I'm...supposedly...a hardened adventurer and this guy is a simple shop-keep. Well, he had no issue or effort with dispatching me like I was a bug under his shoe. Brutal. In another case, I was making excellent progress, full of tons of great items, highly leveled sword and shield, and character level and power were quite high as well. I'd made my way over 2/3rds of the way to the end of the game's 30 levels and I entered a floor in the overall dungeon where I met a cruel and undeserved (in my opinion) fate. You spawn in each new floor randomly, and I always (as anyone playing this should) check my map first to get a feel for where potential danger might be coming or to find the location of items. I had luckily spawned right beside the exit because there were tons of baddies all around me. Well, I decided that I'd be able to move two steps to my right in order to access the exit and skip this mess. WRONG! I took a single step and was greeted with an enemy who hit me and before I could take any other action, I was surrounded by 4 more enemies that stun-locked me into oblivion. Not only did I never get another turn despite my enemies all having several each before finishing me off, but I didn't even know what was happening to me with all the various info boxes speeding by so rapidly, letting me know how I had been damaged or compromised in some way or another. I was literally helpless after that first hit and had zero opportunity to respond. Game over - high level character, equipment and TONS of useful items lost in an instant. This moment was where the scales of challenging and punishing tipped just too far, dropping the weight fully to the punishing side of the scales, causing me to put it down in frustration. Granted, there *are* items - scrolls in particular - with which I could have dealt with this situation. I could have put the room to sleep temporarily, for example. I wasn't carrying any items to address this problem at this point on this particular run however, and I felt I could surely take a single step. Boy was I wrong, and boy was it crushing. At this moment, *my* Shiren decided that the Golden Condor was likely myth, a legend born of misunderstanding, word of mouth spanning ages and growing in the fanciful collective imagination that does this sort of thing to tales we tell ourselves. He imagined that this condor was likely nothing other than an ugly vulture that had accidentally fallen in a vat of golden paint, and some random soul had experienced some sort of unlikely good fortune in coincidence with the sighting, spawning this obviously ridiculous legend and futile quest. My wanderer decided at this point to retire to the comfortable abode he called home and drown himself in endless rice balls until the end of his days, and he considered that to be quite good fortune indeed.

And then...I picked it up again and kept going. Something about this quest just wouldn't let me drop it until I made it to the Plains of the Sun and the Golden Condor. I was having so much fun along with so much frustration, lol. I felt challenged, mocked and bullied and I don't like that. So, I pressed on and upgraded and accumulated and stored like nobody's business. I must say that while learning this game and the punishment it will so gleefully dole out, you might think you are prepared for what is to come. You are not. So after many defeats, I eventually got the message through my thick head and I tackled (what I hoped to be) my successful run by leveling up my sword and shield to (what I thought to be) absurd levels along with accumulating so many scrolls, armbands and various healing items and attacking staves stored away in various jars of holding (items that let you store several items as a single inventory slot). I was ready. I had been shown how unforgiving the wanderer's path could be, and I was determined to reach the goal. And still, I came within an eyelash of death on several occasions on what proved to actually be my path to victory. There was an instance of, again, being turned into a helpless rice ball which I narrowly escaped. I was cursed and watched my hit points deplete into the danger zone. I entered a room of monsters (random event) where I stepped on a couple of land mines (maybe they're called something else) which blew my shield off, which I didn't even notice and watched my HP drop to a sliver of life as I tried to manage a roomful of high-level foes. There was just so much opposition on this journey, but the harder the path, the more rewarding the victory, and man did it taste sweet in the end. I've commented before on the lack of consequence in much of modern gaming. We play so many games where victory seems inevitable...just a series of rote and detached button presses and it's on to the final cut scene. That sort of experience, while sometimes entertaining, often feels lacking in terms of being rewarding. I like to be challenged and I enjoy overcoming obstacles that force me to engage. It's part of the reason I fell in love with Demon's Souls (and King's Field before that) when it released on PS3. It was a breath of fresh air against a increasingly heavy landscape of “press-x-to-win”. Mystery Dungeon captured that same spirit and I truly enjoyed it, in spite of and *because* of its audacity to bite back. Thank you Chunsoft and Sega for the courage to offer something so wonderfully challenging and well-made on the incredible Nintendo DS. And there's still some super hard core dungeons as well as many other secrets to find if I feel the urge to return.

I will say that unless you really like the rogue like genre with all its traits - repetition, procedural generation, turn based combat and (in this and many other cases) punishing difficulty, you should probably stay away. But if you're the sort that doesn't like the genre, you'd have never picked it up in the first place. For me, it's an excellent game in a genre and formula that I truly enjoy, and I am so happy to have played it. It took me about 28 hours to finish that successful run, and it could have been significantly shorter, but it had to teach me the hard way, and boy, did I ever learn. 4/5.

isthatallyougot

6) Chronicon (PC)

My preferred label for ARPGs - at least the good ones - is what I would call the “God-maker” genre. The essence of the experience is to allow the player to have this catharsis where they reach a state of power that is really liberating and incredibly fun. The idea of going up against absolute hordes of foes and dispatching them with your skills and arsenal is a peculiar type of ecstasy that few other genres can replicate. To be honest, however, I wouldn't say it's a genre that I play that frequently, but when I'm in the right mood, few things can scratch that particular itch. I became aware of an indie title called Chronicon in this genre a few years ago and into my backlog it went on some sale. The user reviews are incredibly positive, and just watching some of the gameplay, I was fairly sure that I'd find myself connecting with this one. Well, I finally fired it up in 2023, playing it in two separate significant chunks several months apart.

In terms of presentation, I will acknowledge that the art assets are not really compelling. I wouldn't call them bad, but they're 2D sprites that could use a little more style in my humble opinion. They've got a certain lower- budget indie charm, but the artwork for character, environments and items is just kind of “there” - more utilitarian than elegant. But when in motion, and especially after having thoroughly developed a character, the on-screen chaos of numbers, movement, spells, enemies, colors, sounds, flying loot, crystals and overall feedback is almost seizure inducing, but in an absolutely captivating way. Sensory overload to the max. The game should include a warning for those prone to photosensitive epileptic seizures. Maybe it does, but I was in the process of having a seizure during the warning. :P It's truly spellbinding when you've reached a certain state of character growth, and it's a real treat visually as the madness ensues. The sound is also excellent overall. From the breaking of environmental objects, trading blows and magic coming from you and foes, to the moody and generally well composed soundtrack, it was all top-notch and very absorbing. The game doesn't have much voice but I *really* loved when you got on a nice kill-streak (bloodbath (50), carnage levels (100), etc.) and my Warlock would exclaim “Yes!”, or “Cower before me!” or “Die!” in such a self-satisfied, indulgent manner. Or when he laughed maniacally as he reigned down destruction on hordes of foes, I just felt this sense of absolute glee. So much personality was conveyed with very little. That small touch was really well-done (excellently voiced) and really added a lot, enhancing my own satisfaction when I was just cutting through endless resistance like a hot knife through butter. (I don't know if the other classes have such satisfying little and well-acted expressions yet, but the warlock's utterances really emphasized the power-fantasy you want from this sort of game.) I really love when a game has bite-sized examples of excellence. Overall, despite some lesser, but acceptable sprite work, I was thoroughly engaged in terms of the audiovisual aspects, and everything was, understandably given the technical aspects, buttery smooth in motion. In terms of narrative, there really is very little. You're apparently reliving the memories of past heroes on your own adventures with controller in hand, and while the game does go into a some detail, it's not at the forefront of the experience and ultimately didn't captivate me in the slightest. But I didn't go in expecting an engaging tale. It would have been a nice bonus, but it's not the reason that I play this type of game. There's also a cool codex that keeps track of everything you've discovered and encountered in the game, which is always a nice feature.

In terms of the action and mechanics, the first thing I will say is that there is *tons* of depth. The loot absolutely flies, and if you are prone to feeling any anxiety or decision paralysis, Chronicon will have you shaking. There is so much in terms of armor, accessories, weapons, skills, crafting, enchanting, abilities and options when it comes to character building, you're likely to feel overwhelmed initially and for a good while. The fundamentals are really about building synergies that allow all these various elements to play off each other, enhancing effects and triggering secondary effects in a chain-linking maelstrom where things build on each other in exponential fashion. When you get a nice mix of elements working in harmony, your character can feel truly invincible...for a while. Thankfully, after completing the main campaign, Chronicon offers virtually endless post-game content...additional levels that allow you to continue building your little god until you've fully assuaged all your insecurities and validated your own immortality. :P It takes a little while to reach such a state, but the ride is really fun along the way, and discovering how all the various elements work together will keep anyone who enjoys this genre fully engaged for a long while. This is the sort of game where the main campaign can really be thought of as the tutorial. That's how deep and how much room for prolonged play there is.

I do have to acknowledge that with this type of game, and with Chronicon as well, there is a real sense of loot fatigue at times. There's simply *SO MUCH*. You can address that problem to a degree, however, as there are loot filters that allow you to prevent the game from dropping items of lesser - and eventually meaningless - quality, and that is especially appreciated once you've got a really powerful character. Sure you could sell it, but you'll have more than enough money and items that you can sell, even *with* the loot filters being very restrictive. The bosses are also underwhelming and don't really deserve that moniker. I started and played on “Heroic” difficulty throughout, and each “boss” encounter could end in literal seconds. Granted, that's in terms of the campaign. The post-game can obviously challenge you with its endless difficulty and depth, but the main campaign left me feeling a little disappointed in regards to the boss-encounters. And there is a sense of Information overload in the beginning. And it wasn't a very user friendly onboarding experience. The developers needed to flesh out the instructions and polish up the process of integrating the player into this world and its mechanics. The controller inputs (as well as some other things) weren't really expressed clearly, or at all in some cases. And you were left on your own to figure some things out that should have been explained with more clarity. It took a good while before I felt like I had a pretty good handle on things. At around 20 hours, I felt like I was really getting into a groove with all the dynamics and comprehending the totality, including some of the aforementioned poorly unexplained aspects. Most everything is covered adequately, to be fair, and a big part of the learning curve is simply familiarizing yourself with tons of information and the possibilities that are present relative to character builds. But the devs could have offered some user friendly guidance for new players with a little more care. But I was still learning and discovering tons after 40 hours. It's really dense, and while I appreciate that, it can make you feel like you're drowning for a while. And even after finishing the main campaign and entering post-game, I felt like I was swimming in potential - in terms of builds and things to learn, and I hadn't even touched on a new class. (I only played the Warlock class in my time with the game.) I love the expansive scope, but the possibilities can feel intimidating, making it hard to pick a direction for character development. Thankfully, respeccing is free and easy, so you can always experiment and go down a new path whenever you think you've got an instinct towards a particular build you'd like to explore. To be sure, it's one of those games where I know I'll never feel like I've fully plumbed the depths of what's on offer, and that's both pleasing and a bit frustrating, knowing the bottomless feel it invokes. Also there is a sense that, as with all ARPGs I suppose, you could say that it's all a bit redundant in the end. You get progressively more powerful to deal with endlessly more powerful foes. It's all just more of the same on an endless loop, in some ways. However, it doesn't detract from the sensation of growing in power somehow because of the immense diversity of builds via equipments, magic, skills, abilities, classes, etc. It's reaching that personalized nirvana of a killing machine that keeps the treadmill interesting, even if you're not really “going anywhere” in some respects. As fun as it is, there can be a feeling of monotony that sets in with the endless hordes, endless loot and you're just running around mowing through opposition in a bit of a thoughtless manner at times, but to be fair, it's designed around near-endless growth, as mentioned, so I get it, but it still had the flavor (after a long while) of just pushing play and repeat, build variety notwithstanding. If you want to explore all the game has to offer, there's plenty to dig into, but at some point it will ultimately feel like more of the same with a new coat of paint in some ways - I guess that's what I'm trying to say. You'd have to really love messing around with character builds to keep playing on and on. Not a harsh criticism. It's great fun, but I reached a point where I was satisfied, and didn't want to explore all the extra potential. I mean. I might return to it at some point, but when I was done, I felt done. Some of the level geometry was also awkward to navigate, like a marshy area where you can only cross from island to island via stone pathways. It interrupted flow, especially when you get a higher powered character and just want to mow and flow. And the level geometry, being procedurally generated, is not particularly interesting. Don't expect a visually interesting feast because while it can be really stimulating while in motion, the core visual elements aren't that great. It's not a deterrent from enjoyment for me, but the assets being better would have been a plus, even for me, a person who doesn't necessarily emphasize visuals in terms of how much I value a game.

But despite my criticisms, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Chronicon. It's power-fantasy done well, and the primary sensation was satisfying and compelling throughout my 60+ hours with the game. It's a little hard to believe that this was made by a single developer (with a second doing the soundtrack). It's got a level of polish in the areas that matter that you don't always see, even in bigger budget titles. Anyone who enjoys ARPGs really ought to give it a try. 4/5

isthatallyougot

5) Max : The Curse of Brotherhood (PC)

On some Steam sale I don't even remember now, I picked up a game that looked interesting to me - a title called Max: The Curse of Brotherhood looked like it might be fun. It was a puzzle platformer with very positive reviews developed by the former Danish studio Press Play. I don't remember what I paid, but I know it was virtually nothing. As good as it looked, and as much as I enjoy platformers, the “puzzle” aspect of the puzzle platformer tag always gives me a bit of pause. I'm very cautious with games in which puzzles are a primary focus. It's not that I don't enjoy puzzles, however. Their implementation runs the gamut from thoughtful and well-designed to absolutely incomprehensible gibberish. To be fair, everyone will find some puzzles better than others, and it's impossible to design puzzles that will stimulate, challenge and please everyone, given the breadth of possible players. So again, despite my draw to this title, I went in with modest expectations, knowing that if the puzzle aspects didn't click for me that I'd probably not think too much of it.

However, my caution was unwarranted, I'm pleased to report. The most immediate first impression is one of a very polished presentation. We're met with a boy, Max, wishing his little brother Felix away. And in that brother-be-gone spirit, and after a little “Giggle” (Google) research, we witness Felix being yanked from their bedroom by a hand from another dimension. Of course Max, in his normal frustration with his younger sibling, really didn't want any harm to come to his brother, and so he finds himself on a quest to save him. The game isn't heavy with cut-scenes, but we're given just enough to remain engaged. But the visuals are crisp and colorful as you traverse a variety of well-lit, nicely contrasted and interesting settings. And the audio is playful, in both whimsical and ominous pieces that keep your spirits fixed on this journey. The whole feel of the game was reminiscent of one of those youthful and innocent adventures that bring to mind the tone of films (not content necessarily) like Back to the Future, E.T., The Karate Kid and the ilk. There's this flavor it carried, a sensation of being dangerous, but lightheartedly so - laced with enthusiasm and excitement rather than any dark and ominous dread. It's that sort of tension that's fun and exciting where, even though there's danger, deep down we know everything is going to turn out alright. It's very youth/family friendly, but more than that, the overall tone was very pleasing and captivating, and I was fully absorbed with the moods it crafted. It also brought to mind a bit of Tomb Raider and Uncharted in some respects. There are even Uncharted type set pieces as you are navigating a crumbling and shifting environment in real time. These segments were nicely dramatic and added to the flavor of a dangerous adventure. It even apes Uncharted when the world is crumbling around Max and he says, “No, no, no, no” as he tries to adjust to the chaos. If you're into that sort of fun drama, then you'll be very pleased with Max.

Max is eventually helped by a mysterious lady who directs him to confront the evil Lord Mustacho, replete with an appropriately villainous mustache. He has evil eyes scattered about this other realm to keep an eye on everything, and they are a collectible that can be found along your journey. They're fun to find, but they carry no reward other than the satisfaction of discovering them. This old lady gives Max a magic marker, a truly *magical* marker, and this tool forms the crux of the experience in practical terms. Essentially, this marker allows for environmental manipulation as you point at certain highlighted sections within levels and “draw” in order to create new elements and forms for traversal. You start with a single ability, the ability to raise platforms to varying heights above the ground level to create new platforms. And your pen only has a certain amount of “ink” for each section that allows for interaction, so you are limited and challenged to utilize the available ink in the best way possible to allow for continued progression. If you make a mistake or want to change anything, you can also erase/delete what you've created and start anew, something that will be needed as the puzzles get more tricky over time. Overall, the puzzles found that nice balance where things could be a bit challenging (for various reasons) but always felt satisfying to solve. Drawing irregular branches or using other “pen tools” until you got it just right was really fun. And there's a nice variety of (contextual) abilities you learn, from drawing the aforementioned columns as well as branches, swinging vines, water chutes to ride and shooting fire - these skills provided a nice variety of powers and combined for some really interesting puzzles where you were utilizing them in combination to solve some trickier barriers to progression. I will also add that, while it may be reasonable to expect mouse and keyboard to be the best way to play, I did play the entirety using a controller and had no difficulty, so that shouldn't dissuade any potential players. And the puzzles weren't overly difficult. To be honest, they were mostly pretty easy, with maybe one or two exceptions, but they were the type of easy that still remained fun and satisfying, making you feel a sense of accomplishment nonetheless. And most of the puzzles had physics implementation. For example, you may draw and detach a branch that must fall in a particular spot to create a bridge. The shape of your branch and the way it falls into a gap will vary each time, making the world and solutions feel organic, and I found that particularly fun. It's not a one-way-to-get-it-right sort of puzzle game. There may be one broad solution, but there are variables in play due to the physics and your own implementation of your magic marker. Overall, very good stuff.

I really don't have too many points on the negative side of the ledger to note. The game skews a bit younger in tone, which may be a turnoff for some (maybe not for the jaded or cynical older gamer). Some puzzles were more action oriented, and you were thrown into “bullet-time” whilst things were quickly moving about. It could be a little hard to bring up your magic pen in the right spot to interact and do so in time, and this could be frustrating as you had to repeat some sections. To be fair, I think it would have been easier in these instances with the precision of mouse and keyboard, but I was playing with controller and didn't feel like switching up. And there were only a handful of sections where I felt this way, to be clear. And it's a shame to see that a developer this talented went under. Such a competitive and over-saturated industry, and many worthy creators are sadly lost. But overall, I was really impressed with Max. It was fun and exciting from the jump and remained so through to the final boss. My 7.4 hour run time felt perfect. It didn't overstay its welcome and left me thirsty for a bit more, but that's the mark of a good game to me. Anyone who loves platformers and/or puzzle oriented genre entries would be doing themselves a disservice if they let this permanently fall into the cracks. Well worth your time. A strong 4/5.

isthatallyougot

4) Castlevania : Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

I've never played the earliest examples of the Castlevania franchise, although I plan to at some point. But once I played Symphony of the Night on the PS1, I became a devoted fan of both the franchise and the "Metroidvania" or "Igavania" formula, and I finally got around to playing Aria of Sorrow in 2023. There are so many things I love about this genre of gaming, broadly speaking, and the Dracula battling gothic-tinged series more narrowly. The method of unlocking new abilities which results in opening more of the map is always a satisfying way to advance that just pleases on some fundamental level. The mildy-OCD person within also really loves the percentage-based map completion and I'm always satisfied to watch that number steadily tick upwards as I roam the castle. The simple and fun action-oriented combat is enjoyable in a moment-to-moment manner with its chunky and snappy confrontations, but also has plenty of flexibility due to the abundance of permutations / combinations from weapons, armor, skills, familiars and so on, all of which can be combined to wonderfully diverse effect which makes experimentation interesting and fun as you gain new ways of expressing your carnage. I also like the RNG/luck-based structure for item drops. As rote as it may be, I get a kick out of that grind, waiting for that rare pop. I guess I'm just a gambler (or masochist) at heart. And in the case of many series entries, I really love the pixel art and animations. The GBA may be old in the tooth, but I still find the environments, characters and animations to be beautiful in their low-tech way. And generally, I love the music of the series. It usually has some wonderful, classically tinged pieces befitting a Middle-Ages setting that helps to add to the mood. And the pieces here were decent enough, if far from the series high points, given the very modest sound chip afforded the developers. (I hate GBA sound for the most part, lol.) Finally, one element that really resonates with me is the naming conventions in terms of subtitles. It may be a little thing, but the finer aspects of a creation often reveal the love and care in the larger work, and the titling is always so evocative and befitting the overall tone with Castlevania. Yes, all of the elements may have become formulaic at this point, but it's such a wildly addictive formula, and everything I enjoy about the series and genre is present and accounted for in Aria.

If I could have improved some things here, I will say that the game was really easy overall. The only instance where I found any sort of resistance was in the fight with Death, and that was a fun fight. But, I do have to acknowledge that much of my time was probably spent over -leveled due to grinding for soul and item drops as I zoned out and enjoyed the hack and slash routine. And as many abilities and variables as there are, some aren't quite as useful or appealing to me as others, minimizing a bit of that layered nature to things. Also, in keeping with tradition of some other entries, the vendor was a bit comedic in both his presentation as well as the music associated with his interactions, and I really don't enjoy that tonal shift. The anime-styled profiles and narrative were also a bit less engaging than I would have preferred. I didn't hate it, and I certainly appreciate that it's a narrative that isn't in the forefront and stays out of your way for the most part, but I've always liked the tone, setting and *idea* of the fictional universe more than the actual execution, with some exceptions. Another thing I would have liked would have been to see a tally kept for the total number of enemies killed of each type. I really love that there's an encyclopedia there to peruse, and it makes filling out everything part of the fun for me, but it would have been an added and appreciated bonus to see just how many creatures I'd slain, both in total and of every variety. I also had an issue with the game freezing at one point later on. From some reading I've done, it's always been an issue, even on original hardware (I emulated, even though I own it.). Thankfully, I stumbled upon a board post that said if you can get to a save room and save, it will fix your game even though it freezes while saving. When reloading that apparently frozen save, you will find that everything is sorted, and so it was for me.

In all, though, this was very much a comfortable and familiar return to a series that I love dearly. Despite its well-worn structure, I found it as exciting as always, and I spent much more time with it than would have been necessary to complete it. I filled out 77.1% of the enemy soul drops and 95% plus of the castle, beating the true final boss, and I'll keep the file in case I want to clean up some of those missing elements. I'll never tire of the Gothic/Medieval/Renaissance feud between the Belmonts and Count Dracula. It's got such a wonderful combination of setting and atmosphere that is propped up by fun gameplay and a deep action RPG-like structure that I can't resist. A worthy entry in a phenomenal franchise. 5/5.

isthatallyougot

3) Elite Beat Agents (DS)

If you love music (and if you don't, you are most certainly a pod, a soulless husk of a being) and video games (same applies :P), the convergence of the two in the form of rhythm/music games is a natural. The act of connecting with music via (game) input is not only fun, but it elevates the connection to the sound, even if you're not actually playing the instruments yourself. You become absorbed via an additional layer of bonding to the beats and tunes, and it really is a beautiful merging of these mediums, only surpassed by playing the music yourself. When Guitar Hero and Rock Band added a new way to enjoy music via the (often mocked) plastic guitars and other instruments, I was completely hooked. (And props to the forebears PaRappa the Rapper, Frequency and Amplitude and others for paving the way.) I've played a variety of music games over the years, but for some reason I left Elite Beat Agents on the Nintendo DS sitting perplexed in my backlog.

Well, your sorrow is no more EBA, because in 2023, I finally gave you the love and attention you, having now played it, most certainly always deserved. It's funny, in fact, that I never picked it up earlier since my kid was obsessed with a game called OSU which is a PC game inspired by the the original Japanese Tatakae Ouendan. But watching that game long ago seemed a bit dry, no matter the (potentially endless) music on offer. It was "just" a screen of input prompts that you follow and click with the rhythm as you move your cursor around the screen. And granted, EBA is essentially the same thing. However, rather than a plain interface and presentation, EBA has infused a story atop the basic mechanics, giving everything an interesting and whimsical flavor. In the story, you are a part of a secret organization of special agents that sets out to help others with the universal language of music, of course. You will encounter a wide array of absurd scenarios as you seek to set the world right with your singing and dancing delight. You may find a cat babysitting an infant in desperate need of help, as some irresponsible mother thought it wise to entrust her child to the household pet while away. You must aid a pair of stranded and spoiled young women who find themselves awash on a deserted island while connecting to the tune of Madonna's ‘Material Girl’. You must help a sick athlete by shrinking down and venturing into his body to help fight off his infection. Those and many more ridiculous and hilarious situations all call out for the help of these aural agents of aid. In the end, we - as these heroes - must ultimately fight for the entirety of the human race against an invading force of music-hating aliens, so crucial and dire the need for their (our) help in a brilliant and exuberant climax to the Stones wonderfully catchy classic Jumping Jack Flash. And everything is simply hilarious. You must keep a bar on the top screen from reaching a fail state on the left side of the screen. But the bar is divided into two sections, a binary ‘yes/no’ that splits the bar in half, and each song has multiple sections where you may find yourself on either side of the pass/fail ledger. Suffice it to say that it's worth it to fail on purpose, if only to see all the crazy narrative beats play out for your amusement. Each song has several sections before registering an overall pass/fail grade, and so there are quite a number of outcomes to view depending on your performance, not only in totality, but in the various segment breaks. Of course, if your bar reaches all the way to the left - if your rhythm has failed you - it is game/song over and you'll have to try again. There are multiple difficulties to contend with, and the range of challenge is very large, both within each selectable difficulty and within the overall series of songs belonging to each. So there's plenty of room to grow and master each difficulty along with each song's unique set of difficulty-dependent inputs. The crux of the game is tapping on numbered sequences in harmony with the beat. These sequences vary in terms of the length of the count before resetting as well as in their on-screen placement. Sometimes the game will mix up the way the numbers are arranged, so you'll have to be on your toes both in terms of what to press, but also in regards to timing, of course. There are also sections where you must match your input to a rolling ball that passes over dots at varying speeds, depending on the song and difficulty. And finally, there are some sections where you have to spin your stylus in a circle to raise a meter in another pass/fail type of mechanic. Overall, the basic mechanics were very fun and made even more enjoyable because of their obvious connection to the music. It was always engaging to “become” the music as you “jacked in” to the different songs and embodied their rhythms with your own.

And the whole series of songs and difficulties is tied together brilliantly in a way that makes pushing yourself to get better ever-rewarding. You are scored for every note you hit, but there is a range of scores possible for each note. You can get a perfect 300 for being on time, 100 for being a fraction off and 50 for barely being considered “on-time”. Of course if you miss a beat/note altogether, you get no credit, and the agents grunt at your (their) failure which breaks your combo and more rapidly depletes the aforementioned meter at the top of the screen that measures your overall performance in each song in totality. To the point, there is a *huge* range of possible scores within each individual song. Just passing a particular song on a particular difficulty does not mean you have mastered it or extracted the possible point total. You also get graded in addition to your total score for each performance, and those grades range from D to S. You can even get a “perfect” performance - having not missed any beats - while still not getting an S grade due to not having enough perfect 300's in your performance. And connecting all these various scoring possibilities is an overall score and rank that tracks total points earned across all songs in all difficulties, as well as an “agent rank” that categorizes your music and rhythm abilities as an overall metric. At the time of this writing I just passed “God of Groove” and reached “4 Star Commander”, but there are clearly a number of rankings above this that I hope to attain, if my abilities allow. Everything is tied together in a very elegant way, making each individual note feel important, not only in terms of the individual song, but in terms of a larger meta progression, and that type of design just really floods me with some juicy endorphins. There's just so much room for mastery, and because of the bite-size sense of progression, I always felt encouraged to get just a little better, and I did, sometimes better than I thought I could do initially. But that's the nature of music. Practice improves your familiarity, timing and performance, and you find yourself flowing to the beat in ways that seemed out of reach not so long ago. It's incredibly satisfying to master a really tricky track on the harder difficulties, and it was a feeling that kept me coming back for many hours. And I will likely keep this in my rotation, at least sporadically, on an ongoing basis as I try to climb the overall grades/ranks. The way EBA tied simple inputs to the music and married that core to a fun presentation and broad sense of challenge and progression just tuned me up all righteous-like.

I do have some issues that ultimately did detract, if only a bit, from my general enthusiasm for this wonderful game. In the first place, there are a total of 19 tracks, all of which are licensed tunes, albeit covers. I would have loved to have had *more* songs from more genres and eras, even if there's a nice mix as-is. I also found the covers to vary pretty wildly in terms of quality. Some are pretty well done and capture the essence of the song, but there are others that don't fare as well and are really disappointing in relation to the originals, if serviceable in the bigger picture in terms of mechanics. I'm sure the development cost probably made addressing these complaints prohibitive, and I understand, but it doesn't change the fact that these aspects disappointed, if only in my imagination of the unrealized potential. I also found a few cases where I thought the inputs were not as thoughtfully considered in relation to the music. These were exceptions mostly, but on rare occasion, I felt the player input relative to the music could have been more harmonious. Another minor thing is that outside of the breaks in player input, you can't really enjoy the nonsense going on above on the top screen because you have to be focused on the music and lower screen. You can watch what you missed on YouTube, so it's not a huge deal, though. I will also say that if you're subject to any sort of ear-worm phenomenon where you get a song stuck in your head and can't get it out, you may want to steer clear if that bothers you. You'll be repeating some songs many times in order to master them, and you may find yourself lost in that song in your sleep. I don't really like that feeling myself, but it was a price I was willing to pay. Also, like Guitar Hero where you may find the wall “moving towards you” after you've put the controller down, you may find yourself looking at circles in your field of vision after you've put the game down for a while, as your nervous system becomes attuned to the repetitious visual stimuli. Finally, the “spin-the-disc” mechanic was a bit finicky. If your circles weren't really tight or tended to be more oval, it didn't register as smoothly or quickly, and I'm sure that's by design, but it felt a bit overly punitive sometimes. You could counteract this rigidity by being really familiar with a song, knowing when the mechanic was about to kick in and getting a head start of sorts to mitigate the required precision in some spots, but overall I wasn't as fond of this, thankfully minimal, component of player input.

Overall though? Wow! What a game! I loved it so much and I'm probably going to emulate the Japanese Ouendan games at some point just to see how they compare. I know many love them more than EBA. Back to the idea of loving music and gaming, if you have the slightest affinity for both, and even more so if you already know you enjoy rhythm games, you best not pass it up, if you have done so thus far. I'm kicking myself for letting it sit for so long. One of the best games on the Nintendo DS. Agents Are GO!!! 5/5

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:48 am I've never played the earliest examples of the Castlevania franchise, although I plan to at some point. But once I played Symphony of the Night on the PS1, I became a devoted fan of both the franchise and the "Metroidvania" or "Igavania" formula, and I finally got around to playing Aria of Sorrow in 2023. There are so many things I love about this genre of gaming, broadly speaking, and the Dracula battling gothic-tinged series more narrowly. The method of unlocking new abilities which results in opening more of the map is always a satisfying way to advance that just pleases on some fundamental level. The mildy-OCD person within also really loves the percentage-based map completion and I'm always satisfied to watch that number steadily tick upwards as I roam the castle. The simple and fun action-oriented combat is enjoyable in a moment-to-moment manner with its chunky and snappy confrontations, but also has plenty of flexibility due to the abundance of permutations / combinations from weapons, armor, skills, familiars and so on, all of which can be combined to wonderfully diverse effect which makes experimentation interesting and fun as you gain new ways of expressing your carnage. I also like the RNG/luck-based structure for item drops. As rote as it may be, I get a kick out of that grind, waiting for that rare pop. I guess I'm just a gambler (or masochist) at heart. And in the case of many series entries, I really love the pixel art and animations. The GBA may be old in the tooth, but I still find the environments, characters and animations to be beautiful in their low-tech way. And generally, I love the music of the series. It usually has some wonderful, classically tinged pieces befitting a Middle-Ages setting that helps to add to the mood. And the pieces here were decent enough, if far from the series high points, given the very modest sound chip afforded the developers. (I hate GBA sound for the most part, lol.) Finally, one element that really resonates with me is the naming conventions in terms of subtitles. It may be a little thing, but the finer aspects of a creation often reveal the love and care in the larger work, and the titling is always so evocative and befitting the overall tone with Castlevania. Yes, all of the elements may have become formulaic at this point, but it's such a wildly addictive formula, and everything I enjoy about the series and genre is present and accounted for in Aria.

If I could have improved some things here, I will say that the game was really easy overall. The only instance where I found any sort of resistance was in the fight with Death, and that was a fun fight. But, I do have to acknowledge that much of my time was probably spent over -leveled due to grinding for soul and item drops as I zoned out and enjoyed the hack and slash routine. And as many abilities and variables as there are, some aren't quite as useful or appealing to me as others, minimizing a bit of that layered nature to things. Also, in keeping with tradition of some other entries, the vendor was a bit comedic in both his presentation as well as the music associated with his interactions, and I really don't enjoy that tonal shift. The anime-styled profiles and narrative were also a bit less engaging than I would have preferred. I didn't hate it, and I certainly appreciate that it's a narrative that isn't in the forefront and stays out of your way for the most part, but I've always liked the tone, setting and *idea* of the fictional universe more than the actual execution, with some exceptions. Another thing I would have liked would have been to see a tally kept for the total number of enemies killed of each type. I really love that there's an encyclopedia there to peruse, and it makes filling out everything part of the fun for me, but it would have been an added and appreciated bonus to see just how many creatures I'd slain, both in total and of every variety. I also had an issue with the game freezing at one point later on. From some reading I've done, it's always been an issue, even on original hardware (I emulated, even though I own it.). Thankfully, I stumbled upon a board post that said if you can get to a save room and save, it will fix your game even though it freezes while saving. When reloading that apparently frozen save, you will find that everything is sorted, and so it was for me.

In all, though, this was very much a comfortable and familiar return to a series that I love dearly. Despite its well-worn structure, I found it as exciting as always, and I spent much more time with it than would have been necessary to complete it. I filled out 77.1% of the enemy soul drops and 95% plus of the castle, beating the true final boss, and I'll keep the file in case I want to clean up some of those missing elements. I'll never tire of the Gothic/Medieval/Renaissance feud between the Belmonts and Count Dracula. It's got such a wonderful combination of setting and atmosphere that is propped up by fun gameplay and a deep action RPG-like structure that I can't resist. A worthy entry in a phenomenal franchise. 5/5.
Hey, another one I played! Agree with you 100% on that one. Good stuff!