Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
isthatallyougot

Re: The Haul Thread 2024

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 pm PS4 games
Alisa Developer’s Cut
Alphadia I & II
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
Phase, I know you and I both love classic TR, so I'm very eager to hear your opinions on it. I've already read and watched plenty, but I'm curious how you feel about it when you get around to it as well. Let us know your take when you play it. (And in case you wonder, I'm "team classic" controls all the way. I may dabble in the new stuff for a minute, but these games weren't made for that type of input imho.)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 pm Phase, I know you and I both love classic TR, so I'm very eager to hear your opinions on it. I've already read and watched plenty, but I'm curious how you feel about it when you get around to it as well. Let us know your take when you play it. (And in case you wonder, I'm "team classic" controls all the way. I may dabble in the new stuff for a minute, but these games weren't made for that type of input imho.)
I never was bothered by tank controls back in the day, but I haven't played a game like that in a while... not sure how that would hit me in 2024.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 pmPhase, I know you and I both love classic TR, so I'm very eager to hear your opinions on it. I've already read and watched plenty, but I'm curious how you feel about it when you get around to it as well. Let us know your take when you play it.
I’ve been enjoying it a lot, the graphics are quite an improvement over the originals with detailed/smooth textures, nice lighting effects and everything moves at 60fps. Lara looks a lot better as well. I’ve been playing the first Tomb Raider, and it still holds up fairly decently with well designed levels that offer exploration, challenging precision platforming and environment/key item puzzles. My only complaint is that the camera can get really twitchy at times especially in more enclosed areas.
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 pmI'm "team classic" controls all the way. I may dabble in the new stuff for a minute, but these games weren't made for that type of input imho.
canedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pmI never was bothered by tank controls back in the day, but I haven't played a game like that in a while... not sure how that would hit me in 2024.
I thought that I was going to play these games with their original controls because they’re what I was familiar with, but I found them to be somewhat clunky and stiff so I switched to modern controls which are basically the same as the ones in Tomb Raider: Anniversary and I liked them more. They were a little awkward at first since I was used to playing these games with their original tank controls, but it didn’t take long for me to get accustomed to them since they’re basically the same as most modern third person character controls. YMMV of course.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm I never was bothered by tank controls back in the day, but I haven't played a game like that in a while... not sure how that would hit me in 2024.
Yeah, I think it would surely require a bit of acclimation for most. Personally, I play so many games that are older and/or a little odd that I don't think it will bother me much, but I remember even back in the day feeling that the controls could be cumbersome and unwieldy. I love/loved it all the same, though. The things that, for me, make it all work is the fact that the character is so intimately married to the world. The navigation is really "mathematical" (being on a literal grid system), and everything feels coherent due to the structure and how character movement in relation to the world is so harmonious. And of course the wonderful adventurer motif layered on top along with the incredible ost, particularly in the original, make the whole thing an irresistible package for me.
Phaseknox wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:59 am I’ve been enjoying it a lot, the graphics are quite an improvement over the originals with detailed/smooth textures, nice lighting effects and everything moves at 60fps. Lara looks a lot better as well. I’ve been playing the first Tomb Raider, and it still holds up fairly decently with well designed levels that offer exploration, challenging precision platforming and environment/key item puzzles. My only complaint is that the camera can get really twitchy at times especially in more enclosed areas.

I thought that I was going to play these games with their original controls because they’re what I was familiar with, but I found them to be somewhat clunky and stiff so I switched to modern controls which are basically the same as the ones in Tomb Raider: Anniversary and I liked them more. They were a little awkward at first since I was used to playing these games with their original tank controls, but it didn’t take long for me to get accustomed to them since they’re basically the same as most modern third person character controls. YMMV of course.
Good to hear you're having fun. I don't think I'll use the new controls, as mentioned. I've read numerous complaints about how poor the camera is with modern controls as well as the fact that longer jumps have less accuracy than the original scheme - the step back, run forwards, jump and grab routine that becomes second nature.

What I'd really like is something I saw posted by a user on resetera. The suggestion was to allow new controls (in terms of movement) remain on the left stick while classic movement could be designated to the d-pad. In that way, there would be no need for switching via menus. I thought that was a really elegant solution, and I hope the devs or modders implement that sooner or later. I'd love to have the agility of free movement in more open areas while being given more granular/precise controls for the situations that require it with everything being right there on the left thumb with no cumbersome hopping in and out of the game. I think that would be an excellent compromise. I'm sure modders will get it done if the devs don't, though.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:29 amGood to hear you're having fun. I don't think I'll use the new controls, as mentioned. I've read numerous complaints about how poor the camera is with modern controls as well as the fact that longer jumps have less accuracy than the original scheme - the step back, run forwards, jump and grab routine that becomes second nature.

What I'd really like is something I saw posted by a user on resetera. The suggestion was to allow new controls (in terms of movement) remain on the left stick while classic movement could be designated to the d-pad. In that way, there would be no need for switching via menus. I thought that was a really elegant solution, and I hope the devs or modders implement that sooner or later. I'd love to have the agility of free movement in more open areas while being given more granular/precise controls for the situations that require it with everything being right there on the left thumb with no cumbersome hopping in and out of the game. I think that would be an excellent compromise. I'm sure modders will get it done if the devs don't, though.
The modern controls aren’t perfect, but movement is smoother and more responsive using them IMO. The precision jumping is a little more difficult, but I’ve learned where to position Lara before jumping to make certain distances. Combat is a little more difficult as well because Lara has to directly face an enemy to lock onto it instead of simply locking onto it regardless of which direction that she’s facing.

The camera can definitely be wonky at times, it’s fine in open areas but is really squirrelly in more confined areas. I fight with it a lot more than I would like.

The idea that you mentioned of having the original movement controls on the d-pad and the new movement controls on the left analog stick is a good one, because it would be nice to have both movement control options available while playing instead of having to go into the menu to change them.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

PS4 game
Grandia
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

PS4 game
Eternights
Phaseknox