Page 1 of 1

The Backlog Check-In Vol. 457: 10/3/26: Kingdom Hearts Edition

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:24 pm
by jfissel
Aion 2 (PC) – October 5
Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor (PlayStation 5) – October 5
Disney Epic Mickey: Rebrushed (Switch 2) – October 6
Gears of War: E-Day (Xbox Series X|S, PC) – October 6
Star Wars: Galactic Racer (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) – October 6
Calx (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch, PC) – October 8
Clive Barker’s Hellraiser: Revival (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch 2, PC) – October 8
Echo Weaver (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch 2, PC) – October 8
Forever Ago (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch 2, PC) – October 8
Hell is Us (Switch 2) – October 8
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch 2) – October 8
Kingdom Hearts Collection 1-3 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch 2) – October 8
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch 2) – October 8
Kingdom Hearts III + Re Mind (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch 2) – October 8
Neon Abyss 2 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC) – October 8
Once Upon A Katamari (Switch 2) – October 8
Order of the Sinking Star (PS5, Switch 2, PC) – October 8
Penguin Colony (PC) – October 8
Silver Pines (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch 2, Switch, PC) – October 8
The Crew Motorfest (Switch 2) – October 8
Dragon's Dogma 2: Dark Arisen (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch 2, PC) – October 9
Horse Club Ride West (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC) – October 9
Sesame Street: Friends and Fun (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC) – October 9
The Relic: First Guardian (Switch 2) – October 9


Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Wolverine

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 35 games

I'm having a lot of fun with Wolverine - the graphics are great, the story is interesting, and the gameplay is evolving with new skill and attribute unlocks. I'm pretty sure they toned down the scent trail after release, but I'm not finding it as big of a deal as a lot of the reviewers. The areas are somewhat open with multiple paths on occasion, so you can explore a little to find collectibles. I'm digging it.


My late Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 review...
Pros:
- Battle system: Turn based-combat but with real-time parrying or dodging and QTE-like prompts during attack where you can do bonus damage or not have the skill fail. You can free aim and shoot or use a battle skill or basic attack.
- Character build system: There are character stats (health, agility, luck, etc), battle skills to unlock/equip, passive skills called Pictos to equip, and weapons with their own leveling system and attributes. I've completely oversimplified it, but all of these things mesh together to give a wide range of building and playing how you want.
- Story: Very interesting and emotional at times.
- Music: Many songs are fantastic. Ranges from operatic to orchestral to slight rock-ish.

Cons:
- A little too fantastical for me (minor and personal preference).
- Story can be given out slowly and the ending was just ok, IMO.
- Optional super bosses seem nearly impossible without specific builds unless you are a master at parrying or dodging their attack combos.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to everyone here.

Re: The Backlog Check-In Vol. 457: 10/3/26: Kingdom Hearts Edition

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:17 am
by canedaddy
It's crim week!

Image

jfissel wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:24 pm My late Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 review...

Cons:
- A little too fantastical for me (minor and personal preference).
In what sense? I mean, we both love DQ, and slimes and bunicorns aren't exactly grounded in reality, haha.


Played recently: Dragon Quest Builders

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Just got the green portal in the 3rd area, so presumably there's not a whole lot left? Still very much enjoying it.

Re: The Backlog Check-In Vol. 457: 10/3/26: Kingdom Hearts Edition

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:38 am
by isthatallyougot
I finished up Onimusha 3, and it was a fun game overall. It was on par with the first two entries, at least from memory, although I think the production values were amped up a few notches. Plenty of action and there was a nice sense of pacing between the hacking and slashing, the narrative and the puzzles. If you've enjoyed the series outside this one, I would recommend it.

Also, because I know you have all been anxiously sitting on pins and needles, I'll go ahead and relieve your unbearable tension. :P

The 1901 fictional historical league Twins did indeed break the all-time record for wins in a season. The previous mark of 116 wins set by the 1906 Cubs and the 2001 Mariners was broken by a full 4 games! Although to be fair, the '06 Cubs did it in fewer games (152) with a better winning percentage .763 to my 1901 squad's .741. But the win total record is now MINE! :P And I have a feeling that no matter how many seasons I run this league, it is a record that will go unbroken. Truly a phenomenal season. And our +353 run differential was fantastic as well and would be 4th all-time behind the 1884 St. Louis Maroons (+458), and the '39 (+411) and '27 Yankees (+376). The fact that I broke the wins record WITHOUT setting the run-differential record is something I will attribute to my managerial chops. :P I haven't begun the post-season yet, but if we were to wrap up a World Series title along with the success we've already had, it would put a bow on the package and be quite a thrilling season.

Image

Image

Re: The Backlog Check-In Vol. 457: 10/3/26: Kingdom Hearts Edition

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:06 pm
by jfissel
canedaddy wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:17 am
jfissel wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 5:24 pm My late Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 review...

Cons:
- A little too fantastical for me (minor and personal preference).
In what sense? I mean, we both love DQ, and slimes and bunicorns aren't exactly grounded in reality, haha.
I knew one of you would bring that up, lol. I don't know how to describe it...the enemy design, the colors of the world. The world makes more sense as the story unfolds, but I never felt "oh, this is an amazing world to explore" - it was more on the weird side to me.