Sword of Convallaria
Thank Goodness You’re Here
Tokyo Coffee: Grinding in the Pandemic
Tomba! Special Edition
World of Goo 2
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 343: 7/27/24: Bare Butt Boxing Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: We Love Katamari Reroll (switch) & Trials of Mana (ps4)

Last week: Finished Like a Dragon: TMWEHN, played Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree and LaD: Infinite Wealth

This week: Focussing on Shadow of the Erdtree

I've been dabbling w/ Erdtree for a few weeks now, but not enough to say I was really "playing" it. Thing is, I'd see Tam playing and that would make me want to fire it up. Well, the inevitable happened and I finally played enough so that it got its hooks in me. The DLC is absolutely massive, it really does feel like a new game. I'm starting to make some good progress, so I'll be focussing on this until I finish it off.

The Tomba! remaster is definitely the GOTW this week, but I can't fault Phase for naming the thread after something called Bare Butt Boxing. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:38 am Games added: We Love Katamari Reroll (switch) & Trials of Mana (ps4)

Last week: Finished Like a Dragon: TMWEHN, played Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree and LaD: Infinite Wealth

This week: Focussing on Shadow of the Erdtree

I've been dabbling w/ Erdtree for a few weeks now, but not enough to say I was really "playing" it. Thing is, I'd see Tam playing and that would make me want to fire it up. Well, the inevitable happened and I finally played enough so that it got its hooks in me. The DLC is absolutely massive, it really does feel like a new game. I'm starting to make some good progress, so I'll be focussing on this until I finish it off.

The Tomba! remaster is definitely the GOTW this week, but I can't fault Phase for naming the thread after something called Bare Butt Boxing. :P
Yeah, I heard ER dlc was essentially a new game entirely, for all practical purposes. FROM has always done their DLC very well for the Souls-etc. series.

I'm still hacking away @ Morrowind. I think I'm fairly near the conclusion of the main path. I've just been too powerful for too long, and that's both a good and bad thing, lol. I think I want to make a new character when I'm done and play with some "house rules" that really limit what I can do. I'm thinking of playing a dumb brute that is just too thick in the head to learn much of anything. So he can't use alchemy, magic or enchanting of any kind. He'd only be allowed to utilize what he can find or buy. And although he can read, he's really dense so he'd have no ability to learn from trainers. Also, I think I'd crank the difficulty up from normal to the max. I'm sure the early game would be very punishing, as it was already very slow and tedious, but I do love the arc of character growth and development that comes with TES games. It's such an empowering feeling in that growth arc, and limiting myself so strictly would force me to experience the world in a very different way. I'm not sure if I'll do it right away after finishing this run or not though.

I also started up Critters for Sale that I picked up in a recent sale. It's surely weird and has a cool presentation. It's a mix of visual novel / P&C game at its core. The music is really good and the variety of experiences via different characters and paths is intriguing.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Jeanne d'Arc PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

Beat a few more levels in Jeanne d'Arc, leveling up nicely and buying as much gear as I can afford. Still pretty early though, I have a lot of game left.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:38 am The Tomba! remaster is definitely the GOTW this week, but I can't fault Phase for naming the thread after something called Bare Butt Boxing. :P
FACTS. :P I was bummed to see the Tomba remaster isn't on PS4.

Played recently: Mad Max

Finished: Mad Max

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 38

I finished Mad Max... it's a very good game that got its hooks in me good, but it has some issues (bad framerate and repetition at the top of the list). I did all the collectibles and side missions and was going to go for platinum when I learned that is impossible. There's a glitch on some gold trophy that was never fixed. No bueno.

I've dabbled in a few games since but haven't hit on what to play next. Sadly, I have a whole lot of time now. I was laid off from my job last week. The company has been sinking for a while, but I was still shocked and very bummed that they'd throw me overboard, and with no severance or anything. I'm trying to move away from bitterness/anger and focus on whatever God has for me next. We will see. Not easy to get hired as an old man in a dying field!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:47 am I've dabbled in a few games since but haven't hit on what to play next. Sadly, I have a whole lot of time now. I was laid off from my job last week. The company has been sinking for a while, but I was still shocked and very bummed that they'd throw me overboard, and with no severance or anything. I'm trying to move away from bitterness/anger and focus on whatever God has for me next. We will see. Not easy to get hired as an old man in a dying field!
I'm sure that feels like a gut punch cane. But all coins have two sides and things unfold in mysterious ways. All things must pass, and we all have to adapt as best we can to ever-changing, and often unforeseen, circumstances. I'm sure at sharp chap like yourself will land gracefully on his feet.

If I told the tale of some things that have happened in my life (don't bother asking - I'm too private in some regards), you'd be like, "yeah, I think I'm good." :P Rock on brother!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:47 am I've dabbled in a few games since but haven't hit on what to play next. Sadly, I have a whole lot of time now. I was laid off from my job last week. The company has been sinking for a while, but I was still shocked and very bummed that they'd throw me overboard, and with no severance or anything. I'm trying to move away from bitterness/anger and focus on whatever God has for me next. We will see. Not easy to get hired as an old man in a dying field!
Well, this bummed me out. Good luck and I hope you find something soon!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Really sorry to hear that Cane. I'll keep you in my prayers, I'm sure whatever is next for you will be a step up. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:58 pm I'm sure that feels like a gut punch cane. But all coins have two sides and things unfold in mysterious ways. All things must pass, and we all have to adapt as best we can to ever-changing, and often unforeseen, circumstances. I'm sure at sharp chap like yourself will land gracefully on his feet.

If I told the tale of some things that have happened in my life (don't bother asking - I'm too private in some regards), you'd be like, "yeah, I think I'm good." :P Rock on brother!
No doubt. I am VERY aware and appreciative of how blessed I am. I try to never take any of it for granted, since I know very well how bad things are for so many others and how quickly everything can go away. The "worst case scenario" of my situation is what 99% of the world wishes for.

jfissel wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:51 pm Well, this bummed me out. Good luck and I hope you find something soon!
Thank you, amigo!

argyle wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:10 am Really sorry to hear that Cane. I'll keep you in my prayers, I'm sure whatever is next for you will be a step up. :)
Much appreciated!!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Bummer old man, hope you land on your feet!

So I am in between several games at the moment. I need to pick something because summer is rapidly coming to an end...