Tactical Breach Wizards
Tales from Toyotoki: Arrival of the Witch
Tiebreak: Official Game of the ATP and WTA
Verne: The Shape of Fantasy
Wild West Dynasty
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 346: 8/17/24: Black Myth: Wukong/Concord Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finished up the main quest in Morrowind and I really had an excellent time overall, but I allowed myself to become too powerful, nullifying much in the way of a sense of accomplishment for a big chunk of the game. I love getting overpowered, but not *that* much, lol. I decided to do a new character while restricting myself to absolutely *no* alchemy, magic or enchanting. He's a bit thick in the head, this guy, but he knows how to swing a stick and loot and sell. I already spent 169 hours on that first character / run, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for another full playthrough, but we'll see.

I also played Pandemonium 2 for PS1. I played the original *wayyyyy* back in the day, so this was a pretty fun return to a short lived series for that platform. It was pretty enjoyable overall. Nothing earth shattering, but it certainly had its charms.

Crim...If you are still planning on doing this thing, I've taken a fair bit of time to consider game series I'd play for this thing. I'll post it here since you haven't made a dedicated thread, and you can move my info over there if you decide to do it. Anyway, here's what I came up with. I considered many more series, but I'll just hold it to these choices I suppose. And to be clear I'm COMPLETELY OPEN to playing any of the ones I've listed, so whoever / however you decide to get votes or tabulate things, let it be known that I'm completely unbiased towards any of those series I've listed. I'll let you work the magic / crunch the numbers however you do that thing you do to figure out what I'll be playing. :P

Here it is:

I wanted to keep my choices to series where I had never played an entry (except for one exception I'll note).

* Even if there are other fringe / side or even main entries than what I've listed, the titles I note under the main series name are the ones I'll commit to playing...over time. :P

So, in no order of preference:

* Baldur's Gate

Games I'd be playing:

1) Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (includes Tales of the Sword Coast)
2) Baldur's Gate II : Enhanced Edition (includes Throne of Bhaal)
3) Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance
4) Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance II
5) Dungeons & Dragons : Dark Alliance
6) Baldur's Gate III

* Skautfold

This is the exception I mentioned. I have played the first game "Shrouded in Sanity", but this is a unique series where every entry is a different genre, so I feel like I'd still be experiencing a "fresh" series for the most part.

Games I'd be playing:

1) Skautfold : Usurper
2) Skautfold : Into the Fray
3) Skautfold : Moonless Knight
4) Skautfold : Knight's End

* Risen

The only Piranha Bytes game I've ever played was Elex and I really enjoyed it, so I thought it might be interesting to see another series from them. (I considered putting Gothic here, but I've just spent so much time in Morrowind, which has more similarities than Risen.)

Games I'd be playing:

1) Risen
2) Risen 2 : Dark Waters
3) Risen 3 : Titan Lords

* Black Mirror

I've got this entire series already in my Steam library. It's an older Point & click adventure series with what seems to be an interesting atmosphere and positive reviews.

Games I'd be playing:

1) Black Mirror
2) Black Mirror II
3) Black Mirror III
4) Black Mirror (2017) - a re-imagining of the series

* DOOM

Believe it or not I've never played a Doom game, well at least not to completion. I dabbled in the original on PS1, I think it was, but I only played it briefly. So the series would be essentially completely new for me.

Games I'd be playing:

1) DOOM
2) DOOM II : Hell on Earth
3) Master Levels for Doom II
4) Ultimate Doom
5) Final Doom
6) Doom 64
7) Doom 3
8) Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
9) Doom 3 BFG Edition
10) Doom (2016)
11) Doom Eternal

* Penumbra

The only Frictional game I've ever played is SOMA, and I really enjoyed that one. I considered putting the Amnesia series here, but I figured I'd go back earlier in their catalog.

Games I'd be playing:

1) Penumbra Overture
2) Penumbra : Black Plague (including Penumbra Requiem)

* Shenmue

Games I'd be playing:

1) Shenmue I
2) Shenmue II
3) Shenmue III

* Thief

1) Thief : The Dark Project
2) Thief 2 : The Metal Age
3) Thief : Deadly Shadows
4) Thief (2014)

* Lands of Lore

1) LoL : The Throne of Chaos
2) LoL : Guardians of Destiny
3) LoL 3

* Ecco The Dolphin

1) Ecco the Dolphin
2) Ecco The Tides of Time
3) Ecco Jr.
4) Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future

* Xenosaga

1) Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
2) Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
3) Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Crikey! That's quite a list. When I make the vote thread (probably this weekend for anyone who wants to join), I will copy and post your post. I actually just got all the Baldur's Gate games except 3 in a bundle with the Pathfinder games for FIFTEEN DOLLARS at Humble Bundle. That's a ridiculously good deal.

Played: I been all over but Megaton Musashi W, Crisis Core, Borderlands, Vampire Survivors...and dabbled in tons more. The wife is at the DNC and I have the kids and there's a birthday on Friday for the soon to be nine year old, prepping for the coming school year...gaming is going to be hampered severely this week :|

Bought: The Owlcat/Beamdog Humble Bundle. Oh and Namco Collection Vol 2. I really, really want to beat Legacy of the Wizard for no coherent reason which just became a thing I remembered from way back in the NES days. I don't know, nostalgia?

This week: Probably Borderlands and Legacy of the Wizard. Which I never played. But remember from Nintendo Power and was always desperate to try. Also the Namco Collection has Mendel Palace which I like. Weird. Just whatever doesn't require a ton of attention that I can play on Steam Deck because babies.

Borderlands is good in that I can listen to the long ass book about that scumbag Robert Moses (designed the hellscape that is NYC and all around elitist dickhead) while playing and tune out Ms Rachel (who is literally the least obtrusive baby show since like Sesame Street). I need a vacation from this summer...
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Izzy, that is one ambitious list! I like it, wide range of game types and eras, as would be expected from you.

I've never heard of Skautfold, sounds interesting.

This series concept is a lot tougher when you're not on PC. The one that comes to mind for me is Mega Man, since I own the legacy collection. Also could consider Doom or Wolfenstein (I'd just focus on the newer games in both series) or maybe Nioh. Also very interested in Legacy of Kain, if the reported remasters come out soon. We will see.

Played recently: Outriders

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Outriders

Current backlog: 41

I grabbed Outriders on sale since I haven't played a looter shooter in a while and I heard it's great even as a solo player. I'm really enjoying it so far. I generally don't get too sucked into game stories, especially sci-fi stories, but this one grabbed me good. The shooting, environments and loot are all solid. It's held back a bit by the games-as-a-service/multiplayer trappings, but overall very happy with it.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing

Last week: Finished Owlboy *and* Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree.

This week: Playing Farcry 6 right now for a pallet cleanser (really challenging & involved game to braindead game :lol: )

Owlboy was kinda meh. It looked nice, but otherwise it didn't have a lot to recommend it. And once again it's a game that is definitely NOT a sidesplorer that people like to bill as being one. :roll: I feel like I'm with this game like cane was with Moonlighter and Crim with Sakura Wars. In fact, I can quote Crim here and this applies to my thoughts on Owlboy as well: " I don't hate it. It was fine. And over."

Erdtree, however, was incredible as expected. They did an incredible job of giving you a (very) large new area to explore and allowing you to bring in your existing character without being overpowered & just plowing through it. That won't happen. It doesn't matter what level you are going in (I was around 240 or so I think?). You have to collect a new powerup material in the DLC that only affects you in the DLC, and it makes a huge difference. Plus there are a metric ton of new weapons, some of them completely new weapon types for the game, to play around with. It's a lot. It's not perfect - some of the areas can feel a bit empty, especially compared to the main game, and the map is confusing to put it lightly. There's some major areas that I'm honestly not sure how you'd find without getting very lucky or looking them up. But that's nit-picking. I defy anyone to name another modern DLC that stacks up to this one. Probably sunk 80-100 hours in it all said & done.

I definitely want to participate in the clear a series from my backlog challenge, but since this is a much larger undertaking than just a single game I'm not willing to leave my decision up to a vote. :P I will, however, post the series I'm considering and I will take anyone's suggestions into consideration.

Xenoblade 2, 3, & X - This is probably the one I'm most leaning towards, even tho it will also be the longest undertaking. I have played about half of 2 a few years back, so I'd obviously have to start over because I remember nothing. And I've played about a quarter of 3 a couple years back, but again, I'd have to start over. Barely touched X (and the hope would be that it would get a port before I get to it, because I'd rather not have to dig out the Wii U).

Bayonetta 1,2, & 3 - I played about half of the first one of these WAY back on I think the PS3, and I've never touched the other 2. I've been meaning to play through them for a while now.

No More Heroes 1, 2, Travis Strikes Again, & 3 - I've played *maybe* half-way through the first game, waaaay back on the Wii I believe. To the best of my knowledge, I've never played any of the others.

finish Unicorn Overlord, play GrimGrimoire OnceMore, Dragon's Crown Pro, 13 Sentinels, and maybe Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - Does this count? I don't care! :P These are the VanillaWare games I haven't played yet but would really like to. I finished the original Odin Sphere on the PS2, so that's why I say "maybe" to its remake (but I have really been wanting to play through it, so most likely would include it too). This is also a strong contender for me, both because I have really been wanting to get to these games and because it would give me more variety than the other options.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Jeanne d'Arc PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 44 games

I can see the end of Jeanne d'Arc! Though there are some things I need to do for trophies and leveling up for a few post-game scenarios.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 12:29 pm I definitely want to participate in the clear a series from my backlog challenge, but since this is a much larger undertaking than just a single game I'm not willing to leave my decision up to a vote. :P I will, however, post the series I'm considering and I will take anyone's suggestions into consideration.

Xenoblade 2, 3, & X - This is probably the one I'm most leaning towards, even tho it will also be the longest undertaking. I have played about half of 2 a few years back, so I'd obviously have to start over because I remember nothing. And I've played about a quarter of 3 a couple years back, but again, I'd have to start over. Barely touched X (and the hope would be that it would get a port before I get to it, because I'd rather not have to dig out the Wii U).

Bayonetta 1,2, & 3 - I played about half of the first one of these WAY back on I think the PS3, and I've never touched the other 2. I've been meaning to play through them for a while now.

No More Heroes 1, 2, Travis Strikes Again, & 3 - I've played *maybe* half-way through the first game, waaaay back on the Wii I believe. To the best of my knowledge, I've never played any of the others.

finish Unicorn Overlord, play GrimGrimoire OnceMore, Dragon's Crown Pro, 13 Sentinels, and maybe Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - Does this count? I don't care! :P These are the VanillaWare games I haven't played yet but would really like to. I finished the original Odin Sphere on the PS2, so that's why I say "maybe" to its remake (but I have really been wanting to play through it, so most likely would include it too). This is also a strong contender for me, both because I have really been wanting to get to these games and because it would give me more variety than the other options.

As I recall, Xenoblade 1 was one of your all-time faves. Makes sense that you'd run through those, as time-consuming as that would be.

I've had some interest in the No More Heroes series, but I'm pretty sure only 2 and 3 are on PS. Weird.

Your final option is fun. I loved Odin Sphere, and I believe crim is a huge Dragon's Crown fan.